Magen's Bay - Top 10?

CMJFamily

I've read that Magen's Bay is rated one of the top 10 beaches by National Geographic. I was there about 15 years ago and was not that impressed...pebbly sand (not white and powdery), water was not clear and blue. I was even beginning to think that maybe I was not actually at M's Bay (although the cab driver said that's where we were...) Can anyone give me a description of what to expect there?

Thanks

Magen's Bay water is extremely clear. You can see for quite a distance in it. It's a nice calm inlet so it's great to swim, snorkel or just float around in. Magen's Bay is also a private park so there is a very minimal entrance fee. I find it beautiful because it's so peaceful and quiet. no vendors to bother you and in a protected cove area. The sand is sand, not pebbly at all. The grill there has pretty good food and the bar is busy. We've been there twice and the only reason we're not going back in March, is we want to check out other locations in St. Thomas.

I was even beginning to think that maybe I was not actually at M's Bay (although the cab driver said that's where we were...)

What makes you think the cabbie wouldn`t have taken you there? I think you should use a search engine like Yahoo or Google and look up images of Magen`s Bay, or look them up at Webshots.com; it is very distinctive and I think you`ll know fairly soon if it looks familiar.

Magens Bay has white sand. There are different types of sands, bigger grains... very fine grain - powdery like you mentioned. Magens isn't real powdery, the sand has a bit bigger grains - its more packed right by the shore at the waters edge and more loose further up on the shore. But it is sand. The only spot with a few pebbles mixed in is on the far right side when facing the water but even there its largely sandy with just a few pebbles.

The water is typically very clear and calm.

Magens is a protected bay with land on either side for a good distance out; still it can be stirred up by storms and weather systems. If a bad storm passes through the waves and rain causes erosion to the sand exposing more coarse sand and pebbles and of course this also affects the water clarity. Perhaps you visited after a bad storm?

Ditto Langley Cruisers suggestion - pull up some photos and check them out. Do an image search on yahoo or google for Magens Bay.

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...
Magens Bay has white sand. There are different types of sands, bigger grains... very fine grain - powdery like you mentioned. Magens isn't real powdery, the sand has a bit bigger grains - its more packed right by the shore at the waters edge and more loose further up on the shore. But it is sand. The only spot with a few pebbles mixed in is on the far right side when facing the water but even there its largely sandy with just a few pebbles.

The water is typically very clear and calm.

Magens is a protected bay with land on either side for a good distance out; still it can be stirred up by storms and weather systems. If a bad storm passes through the waves and rain causes erosion to the sand exposing more coarse sand and pebbles and of course this also affects the water clarity. Perhaps you visited after a bad storm?

Ditto Langley Cruisers suggestion - pull up some photos and check them out. Do an image search on yahoo or google for Magens Bay.

--Islander

I should have thought to check photos....after looking at some of the beautiful pictures, I don't think that's where we were. The beach was more grey than white and there was nothing there. That might explain why the only people at the beach were the 6 of us from our cab!

I think we will have to check it out this cruise. From what I understand, it is about a $9 pp cab ride and we should get there early to avoid crowds (I believe there are 5 ships in port when we are there)

Thanks

Archived