Beware when booking mini-suite on Pacific Dawn

davoni

I am a bit nervous too' date=' but I will wait and see what other members report back. You can't judge everything on one or two opinions.

It is still a cruise, better than work.[/quote']

After reading all the posts (only saw the first page...didn't realise there were four pages..lol) I have decided that I will take my ear plugs, get up at 5am for a brisk jog around the deck...and drink until midnight...problem solved...Haven't had a good holiday for 23 years so am going to enjoy all of it

hey Billy and Charlies mum...love some of your responses..makes me laugh...violins..haha

Vicki

I am a bit nervous too' date=' but I will wait and see what other members report back. You can't judge everything on one or two opinions.

It is still a cruise, better than work.[/quote']

Full report in just over 2 weeks time.

:)

Hi,

now I am really nervous.

Yeah, me too. Some times its best to STOP reading once you actually book things. :) We're booked in A179 which is also on the Aloha Deck with the MiniSuites... When i booked it I just assumed being close to the suites would imply that its a good area!

I wish Travel Agents would be honest about this stuff. We did have a discussion about Baja or Aloha deck.

Oh well, on the bright side, the only comment in this thread about A179 is that it 'wasn't that bad'. :)

Yeah, me too. Some times its best to STOP reading once you actually book things. :) We're booked in A179 which is also on the Aloha Deck with the MiniSuites... When i booked it I just assumed being close to the suites would imply that its a good area!

I wish Travel Agents would be honest about this stuff. We did have a discussion about Baja or Aloha deck.

Oh well, on the bright side, the only comment in this thread about A179 is that it 'wasn't that bad'. :)

Your Cabin is just across the Ship from where we are staying in A164 we leave on Wednesday and return on Saturday next week, I will let you know how it is.

I am not that worried myself, I am not going to bed at 8pm or sleeping in till 10am so I figure between 11pm and 6am can not be that bad surely?

The jogging track that everyone has mentioned is suspended on the Sun Deck above the Lido deck which sits above Aloha isn't it?

There appears to be two types of Cruisers that post their thoughts (not many in the middle can be bothered) The ones that post, either love it and have plenty of positive memories and the others.

Ian

Hi Ian' date='

I wonder if you could check out how bad the cigarette smoke is. We will be in A130, under the juice bar, which I believe is where all the smokers hang out. I can't see it being a problem, just want to be sure. Thanks.[/quote']

Will do Eileen.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back a few hours ago,

Chris to answer your question, the mini suites are a noisy location.

Not really a problem at night although it was 1-2am when we came back, in the daytime it was really noisy and it seemed as if someone was continually dragging a chair around right above your head.

Eileen, I did not notice the smoke much on our balcony but my wife said it was in the air, on deck in the smoking areas it was very noticeable, I did not realise how many people still smoked and the staff did not enforce the smoking areas at all from what I could see.

Ian

Thanks Ian. What a brilliant piece of design that is - putting your most expensive cabins in the crappiest location :)

No problems Chris, the location as far as access is concerned is great, its just the fact its right under the main population area on the Ship.

It seems that most people set up around the pool areas and they move their chairs around every 2 seconds it sounds like from below.

We were not in the Cabin much during the day so it was no big deal really.

Worth mentioning there were lots of Smokers on the Ship and lots of pumped up tattooed young blokes that caused no dramas that I saw but strutted around like they owned the Ship

The Formal night was a bit of a none event, not many dressed smart, many were in Jeans and casual shirt at best, the Photographer mentioned I was only the third person he had taken a picture of that was wearing a Tie

Ian

Well, I'm rather glad we're not on Aloha Deck. Our outside will do us just fine!

Also, apart from the noise and leaks, the suites are at the bow where it is rockier if we hit rough weather.

Ian, we will be in our cabins well before 1 or 2 am as we are not great party-goers! That's not to say we don't like a bit of fun, either. :D:D:D

Well, I'm rather glad we're not on Aloha Deck. Our outside will do us just fine!

Yeah.. Now i'm wondering.. Should I bitch at my TA. Since we're just in a Balcony, we could just move down a level - technically it's a change down in cabin type.

On our last cruise on the Athena we had a room with what sounded like a flushing toilet directly above it... I think we spent half the cruise trying to identify the sound of rushing water every few minutes. :)

Well I never thought I would do this but we have cancelled our cruise on Pacific Dawn.

I'm really wondering about the quality of this ship overall. I know I haven't cruised on her and I've always been one to be positive and open minded but there seems to have been so much written in a negative way about this ship. On top of that it appears to have mechanical issues as well at the moment.

I don't want to pay good money for a Suite for seven days only to find 'issues' with my cabin that can't be rectified therefore 'dulling' the enjoyment of my cruise....especially if I miss out on sleep due to noise.

I suppose if I had never cruised before I wouldn't have been paying so much attention to other peoples opinions of the ship, but having cruised on ships that really are a pleasure to cruise on, I do have concerns especially as it is, or should I say, 'was' going to cost us A$514 per day for DH and myself in the Suite. I expect a lot more than I think I would get for that sort of money.

Just when I thought finally cruising was going to be perfect from our 'local' port.:(

Why are we always treated 'second best' by Carnival here in Australia with the ships they try to tell us are 'Super Liners'....hellooooo?

So back to the drawing board I guess.

Jillybean:)

P & O seem to be getting a bad rap these days. For all those who think they are the only ones who have these troubles, have a read of this:

Reports of Events at Sea

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

OMG.....I read the P & O Australia 'events' and it mentions the frequent occurance of having to offload known paedaphiles off their ships....:eek: on many occasions during a cruise. How did they manage to board the ship in the first place?

Jillybean

I did not think the noise was bad enough that I wouldn't book the same Cabin if the price was right.

It was mainly in the day that the constant chair movements could be heard and we were only in our Cabin because we both had a spell of sea sickness and had a lay down.

The Food was great, the service and staff were great, the entertainment was fantastic.

I was disappointed to be getting off.

Ian

I did not think the noise was bad enough that I wouldn't book the same Cabin if the price was right.

It was mainly in the day that the constant chair movements could be heard and we were only in our Cabin because we both had a spell of sea sickness and had a lay down.

The Food was great, the service and staff were great, the entertainment was fantastic.

I was disappointed to be getting off.

Ian

That's good to hear Ian, it's nice to hear something positive about the ship for a change...:)

Wow, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have some doozies, too - several cases of sexual harassment and assaults, Cunard running aground etc., Seabourn - a few fires thrown in. Well, I'll still take my chances cruising rather than flying. (I dare not watch Aircrash Investigation!!!! :eek: ) Ah well, I'd better stop reading and do some work. ;)

does any one now if the suites have the same problems?

I don't know for sure but I would think because the Suites are closer to the front of the ship they would be away from the wooden decks around the pools that cause all of the noise.

Ian

Hi everyone

We were on the Pacific Dawn for the recent Xmas cruise, and all I can say is it was our 7th cruise and our best. Not saying it was the best ship we have been on but for fun and activities and service we had the best time. We had a Balcony cabin B160 midship on Baja Deck and it was quiet as, no noise at all.

We are booked again on this ship in May 29th for a trip to Nth Qld and looking forward to it, just hope they sort out some the mechanical problems currently being experienced before then.

Mark

Archived