Beware when booking mini-suite on Pacific Dawn

davoni

We have just returned today from Xmas cruise on Pacific Dawn and want to warn anyone who has booked a mini-suite (Aloha deck 11) to be prepared for noise from Lido deck above (constant scraping of chairs on timber deck) and thundering sound from jogging track above.

If you are in staterooms from numbers A130 to A165 and even some balcony cabins on Aloha deck you will get non-stop noise from about 5.00am to after midnight (most nights). The port side seems worse (we were in A144) as the smokers tables are on this side and of course they are very popular as smoking is not allowed on private balconies.

Just about everyone in these staterooms complained and the Purser Supervisor told us that he gets lots of complaints every cruise about this. He is sending our letters to P&O and asked us all to write to P&O as well so that they may do something about it! We felt sorry for the onboard staff as they cop a lot of anger which is unfair to them.

Believe me this is not a small gripe. We love cruising and are not quick to complain but we actually couldn't wait to get off the ship because of the noise - it was driving us mad. We are usually very sad to disembark. Anyway, to those cruisers who have saved and paid lots of money for the luxury of a mini-suite, maybe go for a balcony cabin on Deck 10 instead, we wish we had.

p.s. The ship was beautiful and stateroom was wonderful, just wish we could have spent more time in it.

Hi Davoni

Thanks for your post - we are booking in a mini-suite for April - we have A127 - will we get the same amount of noise?

On our last cruise (pacific sun) we were in Verandah suite 6 and were occasionally woken up by the steward moving the chairs around upstairs on the sun deck in the morning and then again when they packed the chairs away.

On a different note, can you tell me whether there were powerpoints available eg for charging mobile phones, cameras and laptops or do I need to take a powerboard? Also what perks did you get - on our cruise we didn't get all of our perks due to some of them not being available eg fresh flowers - did you have a coffee machine etc? Also did you take any photos of the mini-suite that you would be happy to share?

Thanks

Rach

Balcony cabin, midships on Baja deck is the perfect spot for us.

We've looked at all other areas and considered the noise factor as posted above - we'll stick with what we know.

We don't want [or need] bathrobes and all that other stuff from suites - just a balcony with the chance for some fresh air when we want it.:)

Baja Balcony - way to go!!! :p

that must have been a terrible shock to you. Spending the money for a beautiful suite, only to find you couldnt spend much time in there. Such a shame! but thank you for letting all your fellow cc'ers be aware. I love this site for such wonderful information that, as Kiwi Kruzer says, P & O wont tell you about. I look forward to a review of the rest of the trip though. :)

Hi Davoni

Thanks for your post - we are booking in a mini-suite for April - we have A127 - will we get the same amount of noise?

On our last cruise (pacific sun) we were in Verandah suite 6 and were occasionally woken up by the steward moving the chairs around upstairs on the sun deck in the morning and then again when they packed the chairs away.

On a different note, can you tell me whether there were powerpoints available eg for charging mobile phones, cameras and laptops or do I need to take a powerboard? Also what perks did you get - on our cruise we didn't get all of our perks due to some of them not being available eg fresh flowers - did you have a coffee machine etc? Also did you take any photos of the mini-suite that you would be happy to share?

Thanks

Rach

Hi Rach,

On looking at the deck plans I think A127 will be okay as far as noise factor goes. The first 2 minis after the full suites are not quite under the timber deck of the Lido. There is a power point over the desk area in the cabin so a powerboard would be a good idea for multiple use. Our perks were bathrobes and slippers, fresh flowers, fruit bowl which was replenished, canapes on formal nights, priority embarkation and disembarkation (VIP lounge with pastries and coffee) glass of champagne when you board, priority dinner reservations (we booked our table for the entire voyage) others had to book daily and sometimes could not get the time they wanted. Pillow concierge if you like feather/down pillows (we did, but ask for them on day one as they go fast). There was no coffee machine (we took our own kettle and tea and coffee bags as room service takes ages) The mini-suites are lovely...enjoy. I'll post my photos of our suite soon.

Hi Rach,

On looking at the deck plans I think A127 will be okay as far as noise factor goes. The first 2 minis after the full suites are not quite under the timber deck of the Lido. There is a power point over the desk area in the cabin so a powerboard would be a good idea for multiple use. Our perks were bathrobes and slippers, fresh flowers, fruit bowl which was replenished, canapes on formal nights, priority embarkation and disembarkation (VIP lounge with pastries and coffee) glass of champagne when you board, priority dinner reservations (we booked our table for the entire voyage) others had to book daily and sometimes could not get the time they wanted. Pillow concierge if you like feather/down pillows (we did, but ask for them on day one as they go fast). There was no coffee machine (we took our own kettle and tea and coffee bags as room service takes ages) The mini-suites are lovely...enjoy. I'll post my photos of our suite soon.

Sounds fantastic...

Does Pacific Dawn have Anytime Dining?

We've looked at all other areas and considered the noise factor as posted above - we'll stick with what we know.

We don't want [or need] bathrobes and all that other stuff from suites - just a balcony with the chance for some fresh air when we want it.:)

Too true...a balcony is the main attraction.:)

Hi Rach,

Hi Davoni

Thanks for your reply - did you have the option of a suite breakfast and free laundry? Where there any laundry specials onboard eg fill a bag for $25?

Thanks

Sounds fantastic...

Does Pacific Dawn have Anytime Dining?

Hi David,

Yes the Pacific Dawn has anytime dining, however it didn't seem to work all that well. You had to book your table each day but the times offered were nearly always 6.00pm or 6.30 pm or 8.00 or 8.30 pm. Much like traditional. We booked our table at 8.00pm for the entire voyage and had the same table and servers each night. I think it was one of our 'perks' as others we spoke to had to phone each day or join the booking queue after dinner each evening. The dining hours are 6.00pm - 10.00pm but if you just wandered in the chances were not that good at getting a table.

Hi Davoni

Thanks for your reply - did you have the option of a suite breakfast and free laundry? Where there any laundry specials onboard eg fill a bag for $25?

Thanks

We had a continental breakfast each morning ($3.00 tray charge) which was toast, pastries, croissants, tea, coffe and juice. This is available to all passengers. The full suites get free laundry. There were no fill a bag specials. Laundry charges were not too bad, i.e. $2.00 for t-shirt, $4.00 shirt.

Funny that! we have had A 130 and had no noise at all!

The smokers are blamed for too much if you ask me!

They have the ice cream and outside tea/coffee machine in this position too!

Kids running back and forth around the pool.

The sun chairs around the pool would be closer above the bed and bathroom.

The position of the tables and chairs is actually directly over the minis balcony and only just encroaches on the area above the lounge section.

On my cruise both sides were as full as each other regardless of the smokers side.

The warnings have been well documented on this forum about the noise above the rear-mid ship mini suites but in A130 we had none even though the pool pumps and filters were opposite our door.

All cabins above public areas would generate more noise than those not.

With the A deck i found it had less people traffic than other decks and with hallway being twice as wide as others was very quiet.

I suppose if you are an early to bed , light sleeper or want the peace and quiet of your balcony you would be better off booking far forward or getting a suite,but even that would not guarantee quiet as it would all depend on your neighbors!

Sorry you had such a bad time! I just couldn't imagine having a bad time in a mini suite unless it flooded!

I found A130 mini suite to be fantastic

Den

Just wondering,would you knock back a free upgrade to a mini suite and stay mid ship Baja deck just in case there was the possibility of some noise from chairs above?

Den

Hi David,

Yes the Pacific Dawn has anytime dining, however it didn't seem to work all that well. You had to book your table each day but the times offered were nearly always 6.00pm or 6.30 pm or 8.00 or 8.30 pm. Much like traditional. We booked our table at 8.00pm for the entire voyage and had the same table and servers each night. I think it was one of our 'perks' as others we spoke to had to phone each day or join the booking queue after dinner each evening. The dining hours are 6.00pm - 10.00pm but if you just wandered in the chances were not that good at getting a table.

We've sailed twice on Pacific Dawn, this year on Plaza Deck:). Both times we've booked our table for dinner each night when leaving the dining room without any problems and had the same dining companions and wait staff the whole cruise:rolleyes:

Jenny.

Yeh i would never book on aloha as i heard the same from this site, as previously suggested baja is the best, we had a balcony midship & was perfect..No need complaining-how will it be fixed?? We done the anytime dining too and loved it, we booked for the next night every night as we had a waiter we just fell in love with so kept booking the same table..Least you sit with different ppl every night..

Just wondering,would you knock back a free upgrade to a mini suite and stay mid ship Baja deck just in case there was the possibility of some noise from chairs above?

Den

Actually I would.

I am booked and paid amidships balcony on Baja for my next cruise and have already indicated I do NOT want an upgrade if one becomes available.

As I indicated in my previous post - thats the area that suits ME best.

It might surprise you to know that some people in this world do not sweat on freebies - I'm one of them.

I am in a position to book a full suite should I wish - I choose not to.

Go back and read my previous post again - try and understand it this time.:rolleyes::p

Danoni's original post is certainly worth thinking about when making bookings. It's not something that I have even considered before this.

Some people are more sensitive than others about noise - we would all have to consider our own sensitivities in relation to the siting of the cabin.

Barry

I personally always appreciate any info posted on these boards that is going to help me make an informed decision - I like to do a search and read any comments positive and negative on cabins, ports, tours etc etc then hopefully there are not as many "surprises" awaiting me!

Thank you Davoni for taking the time to post - and the others who have posted who have had no trouble with that cabin - at least the info is now out there for others to consider.

Jane

My question is to Davoni and others who have noticed noise in the mini-suites.

We are staying in Minisuite A161 for our cruise in March 2010.

Does the noise seem to be echoing through the ceiling or through the doors to the balcony?

Davoini did shuting the doors to the balcony ebb the problem? and are you ushally a light sleeper. Additionally, were you expecting complete silence when in the minisuite or was the noise that loud it was intolerable?

I look forward to seeing the photos you add of the minisuite, do you have any of the bathroom, particularly the bath.

Regards,

Ross.

My question is to Davoni and others who have noticed noise in the mini-suites.

We are staying in Minisuite A161 for our cruise in March 2010.

Does the noise seem to be echoing through the ceiling or through the doors to the balcony?

Davoini did shuting the doors to the balcony ebb the problem? and are you ushally a light sleeper. Additionally, were you expecting complete silence when in the minisuite or was the noise that loud it was intolerable?

I look forward to seeing the photos you add of the minisuite, do you have any of the bathroom, particularly the bath.

Regards,

Ross.

Hi Ross,

The noise was constant throughout the minisuite and closing the door did not stop the scraping sound. When sitting on the balcony it was the same. We are not light sleepers and don't expect complete silence in any cabin on a ship.

We spoke to a couple in A136 and they did not have the noise problem. Another two couples in A148 and A162 however did, and they also found it that bad that they had to report it. Another couple in A179 also heard the noise but it wasn't as bad in their location.

With regard to being on the smoking side, this was not meant as a dig at the smokers (my husband smokes) it's just that there is more activity on this side (we noticed anyway) and the staff are constantly straightening the furniture as people come and go from these tables.

I think mayble A161 might be okay as there were more pool loungers on the starboard side and they are on fake grass.

The bathroom is quite spacious, marble with a deep bath. Will post pix soon of the suite and bathroom.

Enjoy your cruise.

It's a shame that you had to pass on this info at your expense Davoni. That's what this board is for and I'm sure we are grateful for all tips about the ships and cruises.

I wonder if the shop on board shouldn't stock good earplugs?

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your comment.

Actually the Purser Supervisor did offer us earplugs!

The problem was not so bad at night, we went to bed late most nights and the noise started around 5.00am with the jogging - no need for a wake-up call.:p

the noise started around 5.00am with the jogging - no need for a wake-up call.:p

Its all about courtesy - or the lack of it from some passengers.

I'm surprised that P&O Australia does not request that jogging start later in the morning due to the noise factor experienced by people in the cabins immediately below.

On the Oriana there is no jogging track and people use the 360° promenade deck as such.

I observed on several occasions that ships staff issued a polite request in the daily newlsetters for people to refrain from early morning jogging for that reason.

Maybe somebody could put that idea to the purser on the PD at some future time. :)

Archived