Beware when booking mini-suite on Pacific Dawn

davoni

Why can't they just put down a long rubber mat above the cabin areas?

Because people want pretty wood floors. If they put the rubber under the wood it'd be a expensive.

A better question - why not flip the levels so the suites and expensive cabins are 1 deck further down and away from the noise.

I'm sure the QM2 doesn't have this issue, so i assume its just one of cost and design.

Because people want pretty wood floors. If they put the rubber under the wood it'd be a expensive.

A better question - why not flip the levels so the suites and expensive cabins are 1 deck further down and away from the noise.

I'm sure the QM2 doesn't have this issue, so i assume its just one of cost and design.

I think just about all Ships have their most expensive Cabins on the higher decks.

It wasn't as if its unbearable, the pluses are plenty, the preferential boarding was handy, the little extras that are included were nice touches and we paid about the same as a balcony cabin.

Ian

It wasn't as if its unbearable, the pluses are plenty, the preferential boarding was handy, the little extras that are included were nice touches and we paid about the same as a balcony cabin.

Yeah but i'm in a Balcony cabin on the same level - so those nice touches don't exist ;)

I'm sure it's fine. We're not sailing for 6 months - If i really cared i'd move down a level. I think we pay $20 more for the luxury(?) of being on Aloha over Baja so i'm sure they'd let us downgrade.

Don't you people know about cruisejunkie??? They exist to give cruising a bad name .... just think that many of those same incidents happen on land, on beaches, the mall... etc. And as for noro... cruises are the only people who have to report it .... it used to run rampant through my college classrooms and no one noticed. And just think of how many cruisers their are in any given year ..... of course there are going to be problems.

Anyway, the noise issue is ship specific... and one individuals have to deal with in their own way depending on costs, how noise sensitive you are and how much you really want that mini-suite. Right now I would take it if it would get me out of the southwestern Colorado snows.

Hi there Durangoscots, greetings from the land downunder!

Right now I'd trade you some hot, humid weather for a truckload of Colorado snow. I'm so over this summer!!!:( Actually, I was thinking along those lines myself, reading some of those 'events' on cruisejunkie.

Oh! Oh!, I thought, ;) some of these sound an awful lot like some of the disgruntled whingers we have over here! Constructive, honest criticism is fine,and should be aired, but some go over the top - they just join to spew out their venom (OMG I'm 'waxing lyrical' today :eek:) and are never heard of again. Gosh that feels good! :D

It's getting to be 'slam Pacific Dawn' this month - and DH and I are cruising on her in 6 days. I am determined to enjoy every minute even if I have to grit my teeth a lot. Cheers

Hi there Durangoscots, greetings from the land downunder!

Right now I'd trade you some hot, humid weather for a truckload of Colorado snow. I'm so over this summer!!!:( Actually, I was thinking along those lines myself, reading some of those 'events' on cruisejunkie.

Oh! Oh!, I thought, ;) some of these sound an awful lot like some of the disgruntled whingers we have over here! Constructive, honest criticism is fine,and should be aired, but some go over the top - they just join to spew out their venom (OMG I'm 'waxing lyrical' today :eek:) and are never heard of again. Gosh that feels good! :D

It's getting to be 'slam Pacific Dawn' this month - and DH and I are cruising on her in 6 days. I am determined to enjoy every minute even if I have to grit my teeth a lot. Cheers

I'm really going to look forward to your thoughts on your return. Or maybe if you've got time drop in on here whilst you're cruising.

Jillybean:)

I'm planning to write a bit about it every day - and post when I get back. (That's the plan - whether or not it comes to fruition is another thing :) ) Last time I cruised, it was in bunks and there wasn't any produced entertainment, just bingo, guess the distance, cards, library, pokies, deck games and things like that, the food was good, but not such a variety, so somethings will be a lot better.

all this about noise in mini suites, when the Pacific Dawn was based in sydney we didnt here much about the noise.:cool::confused:

I actually agree with you there, I dont remember reading as much bagging of PDawn as I have since she arrived in Brisbane.:eek:

Wonder why this is? :confused:

Are we actually more fussy in Qld than the sydneysiders??? :p

I'm planning to write a bit about it every day - and post when I get back. (That's the plan - whether or not it comes to fruition is another thing :) ) Last time I cruised, it was in bunks and there wasn't any produced entertainment, just bingo, guess the distance, cards, library, pokies, deck games and things like that, the food was good, but not such a variety, so somethings will be a lot better.

Posting when you get back is the best idea Sandy, we tried to send a couple of things to family members and it was not a good system.

logged on ok but facebook and the like just did not seem to work, it was around $13.00 for about 10 minutes and we did not get anything working other than the Google homepage (it could have been another round of drinks :D)

Ian

I actually agree with you there, I dont remember reading as much bagging of PDawn as I have since she arrived in Brisbane.:eek:

Wonder why this is? :confused:

Are we actually more fussy in Qld than the sydneysiders??? :p

I think the noise issues that started this thread off is related to people expecting perfection when they pay for a Suite / Mini Suite.

It was not that noisy that I was going to complain to anyone on board about it, I hardly noticed it at night but there may have been a good reason for that.

:)

Ian

Macca' date=' can you tell me where the smoking area is on the pool deck? Is it the port side? Where abouts? Thanks[/quote']

All of the Portside Lido deck even around the middle where the Pools are plenty were smoking, also all of the Promenade Portside was Smoking allowed.

I was a very heavy smoker until 5 years ago when I quit, I did not realise it would bother me until we went on the Portside Promenade deck to lounge around and read a book.

No big deal though we swapped sides to Starboard and got on with it.

Ian

Oh Ian, you are a funny guy! :D (I mean funny haha, not funny peculiar ;) ) I really don't think I'll be posting on here during the cruise - too much else to do, as you say. Plus, I don't have the patience to wait for slow internet. Will probably send an email or two to our family.

All of the Portside Lido deck even around the middle where the Pools are plenty were smoking, also all of the Promenade Portside was Smoking allowed.

I was a very heavy smoker until 5 years ago when I quit, I did not realise it would bother me until we went on the Portside Promenade deck to lounge around and read a book.

No big deal though we swapped sides to Starboard and got on with it.

Ian

I am really not happy. Our mini suite is on the portside right under the smoking section. If I had known about this I would never have booked it in the first place. I feel like cancelling this cruise. I think I will ring the TA in the morning and ask to change to a balcony cabin on Baja deck. The mini suites on the Pacific Dawn are nothing to write home about anyway. Not like the sun or dawn princess, they are really nice mini suites.

I am really not happy. Our mini suite is on the portside right under the smoking section. If I had known about this I would never have booked it in the first place. I feel like cancelling this cruise. I think I will ring the TA in the morning and ask to change to a balcony cabin on Baja deck. The mini suites on the Pacific Dawn are nothing to write home about anyway. Not like the sun or dawn princess' date=' they are really nice mini suites.[/quote']

Not sure how much the smoke will bother you from the deck above that is enclosed in glass panels moving at 20 knots?

Several times at night the smoke from the ships funnel actually hung in the air and dropped downwards to almost sea level (we were going slow as we were going nowhere :))

I would not think it would be that bad to cancel, I never really noticed the smoke on the balcony, my wife did but it may have been someone on another balcony having an illicit Smoke :D

You could smell it on the Promenade deck as we were surrounded by smokers but that deck is a lot lower down.

They should make the smoking section the rear part of the Caribe and Dolphin decks.

2145397960106193210FgsXIo_th.jpg

Ian

Not sure how much the smoke will bother you from the deck above that is enclosed in glass panels moving at 20 knots?

Several times at night the smoke from the ships funnel actually hung in the air and dropped downwards to almost sea level (we were going slow as we were going nowhere :))

I would not think it would be that bad to cancel, I never really noticed the smoke on the balcony, my wife did but it may have been someone on another balcony having an illicit Smoke :D

You could smell it on the Promenade deck as we were surrounded by smokers but that deck is a lot lower down.

They should make the smoking section the rear part of the Caribe and Dolphin decks.

2145397960106193210FgsXIo_th.jpg

Ian

I think the smoking and the noise is a deal breaker for me. I have spoken with DH and I will be ringing the TA to try to change to a balcony cabin. If she won't do it then we will cancel and look for a cruise on Princess for the same time. I was looking at a cruise in Mexico and we can fly there and do the cruise and stay a couple of days for the same price we are paying on this cruise. The only thing that is stopping us from doing this is the time factor. We can only get a week that time of the year and 5 months later we will need 5 weeks off to do the Asia/Alaska cruise we have booked. Ripoff Aussie cruises!!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Archived