Soliciting reviews for several excursions ...

... we're on the Dawn sailing 1/1 and are about to book excursions ... looking at Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel for Tortola, Scenic Rail in St. Kitts (not sure if the 3 hour one includes a stop at Brimstone Hill Fortress) and Nelson's Dockyard in Antigua ...

Thoughts, counsel anyone!

And question on the way back from Barbados we we float past St. Lucia on the Piton side? Fingers crossed!

... we're on the Dawn sailing 1/1 and are about to book excursions ... looking at Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel for Tortola, Scenic Rail in St. Kitts (not sure if the 3 hour one includes a stop at Brimstone Hill Fortress) and Nelson's Dockyard in Antigua ...

And question on the way back from Barbados we we float past St. Lucia on the Piton side? Fingers crossed!

Have you checked the ports of call boards yet?

We went to Tortola a few weeks ago on the Pearl and did the Virgin Gorda highlights tour.

Our impressions--decent tour but the Baths is really not a swimming or sunning beach. The surf is rough and the beach is small and steep. It looked great for snorkeling and many folks tried. There was another tour farther out that looked like it was primarily a snorkeling adventure. The highlight of the tour is the meandaring trail from one beach to the other. The rocks are quite marvelous to look at--but once you got to the other side you turn around and come back. You can do the rock trail maze in bare feet--just be careful!

On the side we stayed at, there was a bar/snack shack. Prices were OK--not as high as on the ship, but not as low as you could find in other ports. There is also a bathroom and a place to clean off your feet. The walk down to the beach is pretty easy, but if you have problems getting around on land--walker, bad knees, bad hip, you may want to think about another tour.

We did not go to any of the other ports you mentioned on our cruise.

Hope that helps!

We stayed on St. Kitts a few years ago. The Brimstone fort was my favorite (but then I'm a history nut). Also had a great, inexpensive, time taking the ferry to Nevis - had a taxi take us around. The train wasn't working at that time (I think it only runs during cruise ship season - or did then), we also understood that when it did run that it sometimes had breakdowns - this might be a time you wanted the NCL trip - in case of breakdown. They were also working night and day on the harbor area so hopefully most of the construction has been completed.

Have a wonderful time.

I am just back from the Pearl. The only excursion my family and I went on was the Virgin Gorda Highlights. I thought it was a total waste of money because the waters were so rough. When we left The Baths, there was a red flag, meaning rough waters. To top it all off, I got injured when I was boarding the taxi to go back to the ferry. I slipped on the sand covered pavement and slid underneath the taxi, and my right shin hit the bottom step of the taxi. Needless to say, I was bleeding profusely and there was no first aid kit! Luckily, the ferry had one, but it was about a 5 minute drive away. Back on the ship, I spoke to a very rude NCL "safety" officer who rudely told me that "the streets are public property" - meaning that NCL is not responsible for slippery sand covered areas. Well, of course they aren't. I was merely trying to tell him what happened and alert NCL to the fact that this could happen to anyone. He wouldn't even let me ask why there was no first aid kit, he just walked away without listening. A very bad impression was made by this officer when I had just been through a bad experience. Also, when I complained to the shore excursion desk, the manager, Garrett was supposed to get back to me, and he never did. NCL dropped the ball on this one. My advice would be to skip this excursion.

What are you looking for at Virgin Gorda? The tour you have selected is the one where you snorkel into Devils Bay, have about 90 minutes to explore the Baths, and then snorkel back to the boat for a return to Virgin Gorda. Depending on the swells the Baths can be missed. We were at the Baths last week and if you have not been, and gone through the caves, it is something that you must do in your lifetime if you have the chance. If you have been and want just a beach day, look at the excursion that goes to Jost van Dyke. The beach is beautiful beyond description, and you get to sample some of the most famous bars in the Caribbean, including the Soggy Dollar, One Love, and Foxy's. It is another not to be missed stop.

We were at both the Baths and Jost last week. My kids and I will be on the Pearl in march and I let them decide what to do on Tortola, and their vote was not even close, we are going back to Jost.

You can't miss either way.

I have only been to Antigua once, and did not make Nelson's dockyard, and I wish I had gone. I suspect if you are a history buff it is the way to go.

No help with St. Kitts, the only time I've been there we just walked around town for an hour or so and went back to our ship.

Archived