Sea Sickness

riverdees05

Touch wood - we have never suffered and got our sea legs quite easily but having been in quite rough weather, we have had advice from the crew - to eat, even though you don't feel like it and that ginger ale and ginger are good and to eat green apples and crackers - these are time old remedies they swear by. but I do agree with the first poster, get some advice from your doctor and if all else fails, for a fee the doctor on board will give you an injection, which seems to cure all. Some people we met on a cruise, can't go on boats at all, but love cruises - so go straight to the drs and get the jab and are fine for the trip

I have never had a problem with car/sea sickness before but just to be on the safe side I took "ginger root" one day before our last cruise and everyday during and felt fine. I like to be cautious and it also helps with digestion and so it didn't hurt to take it. Good luck and happy cruising.

Talk to your doctor, but don't assume you'll get seasick. I get really bad car sickness unless I'm driving, but I have never gotten sick on a cruise. It's a different kind of motion than driving in a car, and you're not seeing scenery whizz by you, just a bunch of waves that all look alike.

I have never had a problem with car/sea sickness before but just to be on the safe side I took "ginger root" one day before our last cruise and everyday during and felt fine. I like to be cautious and it also helps with digestion and so it didn't hurt to take it. Good luck and happy cruising.

I always take Bonine - however, last cruise I went on, and the waters tend to get a little rough while sailing from NJ to the Caribbean and also about 2 days before getting back to NJ, I took 'ginger root' capsules - worked like a dream = I am really prone to seasickness when the water is not smooth - but the ginger root worked for me. The next big test is the two days from SF to Canada on the way to Alaska - it's usually rough going north, so I will again take my ginger root and the bonine, and drink ginger ale! carol

I'm a Mythbusters junkie (Discovery channel). Adam and Jamie dedicated an entire show to motion sickness "home remedies", which I found both educational and very amusing. I was shocked to learn that Ginger root really worked! I generally don't have a problem with seasickness, but when the seas get rough my stomach can get a little queasy. I try to avoid taking unnecessary medications, so a natural remedy like Ginger is very appealing to me. Ginger pills are pretty inexpensive (less than $10 for 100 pills) so I picked some up for our February South Carribean cruise "just in case".

But I agree with other posters that if you are prone to seasicknees you should see your doctor ahead of time.

One of my friend also have this problem.Well his uncele is adoctor and they procide some solution of preventing the see sickness..

Prevention, Not Cure

Medications

1)Nonprescription medications

2)Prescription Sturgeron

3)Prescription Scopolamine skin patches

Food and Drink

1)Ginger

2)Soft drinks

3)Food and drink to avoid

One of my friend also have this problem.Well his uncele is adoctor and they procide some solution of preventing the see sickness..

Prevention, Not Cure

Medications

1)Nonprescription medications

2)Prescription Sturgeron

3)Prescription Scopolamine skin patches

Food and Drink

1)Ginger

2)Soft drinks

3)Food and drink to avoid

Good to see ginger is #1 - since I just discovered it myself - I also drink a lot of ginger ale.... carol

I like to take ginger pills daily starting a few days before and during the trip and eat some ginger candy (medicinal candy..just the excuse I need)

I also bring along bonine just in case..but haven't needed it.

I've also heard the green apples and crackers from the crew...

I get really sick in the ocean on smaller boats. I tried ginger root the way they said, take it a day or so before you go on the cruise.. worked great until I was on that smaller boat to go snorkeling. I felt sooo sick. There was three stops, first one I was ok. By the second one I was upchucking. And I wasn't even able to make it into the water by the third (to snorkel with the sharks). I was so disappointed as that was the best part and the reason I booked it!

If you don't know for sure it's going to work, don't ruin your vacation by just taking a chance. Bring some real meds so you don't miss out! Or try the ginger and go deep sea fishing near your home first to see if you can make it ;)

I bought some of that bonine stuff for my coming up one. I may still take some ginger for the lighter movement that may make me a lil ill. But will take the bonine for any big waves or motion that is sure to make me sick. I just wish it wasn't chewable. I haven't taken chewables since I was a lil kid, I prefer to swallow pills. But I guess it will dissolve and start working faster. I know its raspberry flavor, anyone with experience on how nasty it tastes? This question coming from someone who refuses to take cherry liquid meds if she can help it LOL

How about good ol' Dramamine? I've never flown without it. Helps with the decsents, which go right to my stomach. Ascents are fine. And it's always good to have on hand , non-drowsy or regular, in case of sudden turbulence, or wave actions. Same side effects..dry mouth mostly.

How about good ol' Dramamine? I've never flown without it. Helps with the decsents, which go right to my stomach. Ascents are fine. And it's always good to have on hand , non-drowsy or regular, in case of sudden turbulence, or wave actions. Same side effects..dry mouth mostly.

The Dramamine they give away on the Disney cruise makes me sleepy. Wonder if it was just a long beach day or they give the cheap stuff ;)

I, too, am very prone to motion sickness. The are two kinds (at least). One is caused by motion felt in the inner ear and one is caused by motion your eye sees but your body does not feel (like video games and 3D movies).

Also different people have different symptoms. Bonine is an antihistimine and works to clear the congestion and calm the inner ear, ginger settles the stomach. Bonine is a drug, ginger is an herb.

Bottom line: Take what works for you. If your family is prone than you must have some idea what works and what doesn't. I don't recommend ever taking something you don't need just because it works for someone else. The best defense is a good offense as they say. Talking to your doctor is the best place to start.

In my case I try to stay hydrated, stay rested, I don't skip meals. I avoid some foods as they will make it worse. I take Bonine because that is what works best for me. YMMV.

I am very prone to motion sickness, on airplanes, cars, etc... Heck I was reading to my daughter the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, from the Narnia series, and it talked about the rough seas in some detail. I had to hand the book over to wife to read I was getting sick just reading about it.

We drove to Seattle from MN with my in-laws last spring, 24 hours straight through. It took ginger pills and was just fine the whole way, even in the mountain passes. It was the same thing on my last airplane trip.

I found the scolpamine patch worked really well when we were in Disney a few years back but after 4 days my eyes went wonky and I had to take it off. Since then it has not worked for me.

We are going on our first cruise in 3 weeks I am counting on ginger ;)

Archived