Soda - if you DON'T have "the card"

2preschoolers

I probably would only have 2 sodas a day so I'm thinking the card is not worth it. (May even try to bring my own onboard if I can find a store nearby to my hotel.) But my question is this - if you order a soda at dinner - will the waiter only bring out ONE or are there free refills? $2/soda is pretty darn steep if they don't do refills. But I'm getting the impression that refills aren't included.

THANK YOU!

What i did was bring 2 12pks on board with me and my room steward always had ice in my room... Only bad thing is you have to carry it on they dont allow you to check it in with the porters.. (Well at least in Calif they dont)

A number of other ports, too. Stick it in a duffel bag and put a luggage tag on it an it should be fine.

No refills on sodas on the ship.

You can also usually find sodas, water, etc. in the ports. Check prices though - if the same price as the ship or higher, it's a tourist trap.

As others have said - no refills on the soda at supper. That's why I purchased a card for my son - he goes through a TON of soda at dinner. Dinner alone made up for the cost of the card.

I did not get a card - and won't for our next cruise. I found the tea mixed w/a little lemonade on the Lido refreshing. At dinner I had tea .. The one thing I will do this next cruise is take a LARGE thermal mug to fill w/tea on the Lido to keep in the room. When I'd get thirsty in the room it was kind of a pain to go up to the Lido to get a drink.. I think I had one soda the entire cruise.

Son loved the ease of the card - I also think I'll do a card for hubby this go (he didn't go with us last time) .. as he'll drink a lot of soda at dinner too.

You just have to balance out how much of a soda drinker you are .. and as others have said you can bring some on .. I think it's a pain in the neck - but others seem to do it just fine...

I will bring more bottled water on this time for shore .. just easier I think and a LOT less expensive.

We bring luggage with only soda in it. If we run out, I buy them individually.

The soda card gives you a small glass of ice with half of a can of soda poured on top. You might be the second one to get a glass and it's not as fizzy. If you order it by the can, they give you the whole can. It's a better deal to me to have a whole can of soda.

But like I said, we check luggage with soda in it.

I had a bunch of onboard credit on my last cruise, so I drank a LOT of soda. Most times I only have one or two a day at shows and such, and drink iced tea the rest of the time. By the way, that's a great idea about the large insulated mug of iced tea in the cabin.

That's the only money I usually spend onboard, aside from one or two ship-purchased excursions. $35-40 doesn't seem excessive for a weeklong cruise.

The last time I purchased a soda card, I figured up at the end of the cruise how much I would have spent if I had purchased each can individually. I would have came out cheaper not purchasing the card. The soda card for a 5 day cruise is $6.90 times 5 days which is $34.50 ($6 plus .90 cents for the .15% gratuitiy)

Now I just bring a 12 pack of soda and a 12 pack of water onboard. The first thing I do when I get to the cabin is take all the sodas and bottle of water that is left on the counter for purchase and put them in the top of the closet. I then let my room steward know where I put them so that he doesnt think I drank them and charge me. The last morning of the cruise before I leave I put all the cans and the water back on the counter.

I always bring with me the sodas in the bottle with twist off cap so that none is wasted. I did bring cans once or twice but found that I was wasting a lot of soda. If you open a can then you have to pour the whole can in your glass or the rest will be flat later. A lot of times my ice would melt and water my drink down especially if I was outside on the lido. It is more economical to bring the drinks with twist off caps and just pour what you need then replace the cap and use the rest later.

Also when I get off the ship in port I throw a couple of bottles of water in my bag.

Yep I am not paying $44 pp for soda :eek: That is just ridiculous IMHO.

My guys like soda too but they drink Mt Dew or Pepsi and the ship only has Coke products (we all hate coke btw). I too will be bringing soda on board

and keeping ice in our room.

Is it just me or do you think that if they made the card around $20 they would sell alot more?

I have pretty much posted this on numerous threads lately, but the card also includes juices. I am going on a 15day in April and will probably just bring a 6 pk of Diet Coke and Diet 7-up as a mixer. I found it was worth the cost on my last cruise (7 days) as I got several glasses of Cranberry Juice for my daughter and I, that we used as mixers with my special juice. We also got a few sodas throughout the week, so It was worth it for me. But every situation is different. And that is a good idea about the twist tops on the sodas. I would definitely be wasting a lot if in cans.

We brought an extra suitcase with soda and water and used the extra space for bubble wrap and foam to cushion it. Gave us an extra case for dirty laundry and souveniers etc coming off the ship. In key west there is a nearby cvs for supplies.

I probably would only have 2 sodas a day so I'm thinking the card is not worth it. (May even try to bring my own onboard if I can find a store nearby to my hotel.) But my question is this - if you order a soda at dinner - will the waiter only bring out ONE or are there free refills? $2/soda is pretty darn steep if they don't do refills. But I'm getting the impression that refills aren't included.

THANK YOU!

My husband likes to have a soda w/ his dinner. If he needs a second, he gets it.

You just can't get away from some of the crazy little expenses......

We feel that we put lots of planning into this wonderful avacation, buy pretty much what we want, spend good money on exciting excursions, and pay 15% on every bar bill so $2 for a sodas we don't stress over.

We fly in the day prior so I prefer not to lug a case of soda. If we were driving to the port, I would probably consider it!

Enjoy your cruise and happy sailing.

Guest bahamamama1
We brought an extra suitcase with soda and water and used the extra space for bubble wrap and foam to cushion it. Gave us an extra case for dirty laundry and souveniers etc coming off the ship. In key west there is a nearby cvs for supplies.

This is a GREAT idea ! I am going to try this on my next cruise

I prepurchased the soft drink coupons from Carnival's website before my cruise last July, and I found that was a good solution for me. I usually purchase a soda card just because I like the convenience, but I also don't drink that much soda so it was a waste of money. With the coupons I have the convenience of not signing the receipts, I get a can instead of a fountain soda, and the coupons don't expire, so they can be used on my next cruise!:)

I to like others do not like Coke products. I like A&W Root Beer because it has no caffiene in it and I also like to bring Vernor's Ginger Ale just in case of sea sickness (although I have never suffered from it, I want something available that will take care of it that is natural.

Another thing some of you might want to consider is that you can get Lemonade free and when it came to juices, they are free in the morning so I would fill one large mug with OJ and another with Cranberry Juice.

...I also like to bring Vernor's Ginger Ale just in case of sea sickness (although I have never suffered from it, I want something available that will take care of it that is natural.

You just had to bring up Vernor's, didn't you? It's kind of like hot dogs...I can get along without 'em just fine until I hear about it...then I must have one. I'll be on a mission to find Vernor's tomorrow, you can be sure. That's what I call Ginger Ale that'll take the top of your head off:D

Archived