Wheelhouse bar & Fish and Chips ?

sweet

Looks like Princess has changed the pub lunch menu up a bit - at least on the Golden Princess 14 day HI Christmas sailing.

Now consists of Scampi and Chips, Steak and Kidney Pie, Chicken Curry, Scotch Eggs and Salad. For dessert... English trifle!

Ok , for some reason , we have not done the Pub Lunch, but thanks to all you guys we are going to on our next cruise in Feb. Looking forward to it all, except may be the mushy peas . Beer, fish and chips, works for me. :)

Cori

Both parents were born there and I have never heard scampi being that before. guess you learn something new everyday. Maybe they were hiding it from me all those years. :)

Did you happen to notice that they moved frquently....without providing you with a change of address.:D Happy New Year!

Scampi - not what I would call quintessentially British and yes it is found in pub lunches but mainly those that haven't changed their menus since the 1970's!! IMHO it is an evil concoction of minute pieces of scampi wrapped in yucky breadcrumbs and deep fried it is then served with equally horrible frozen chips (french fries) yuck yuck. But hey...don't knock the mushy peas they are fabby and lower the GI of the meal lol

Just goes to show that everyone's experience is relative. I had the pub lunch on the Diamond recently and honestly it was awful!

I usually love the food on Princess but this was just gross..and in case you are wondering my husband is english.

No one on our table of 8 enjoyed it and most left it almost untouched.

Never mind one missed meal was a good thing...the rest of the meals were toooo goood!

As unappetizing as they sound and look...hit them with some salt & pepper and they are not bad.

Not bad, not bad! Hit them (as you say) with lots of vinegar and they are awesome and yummy!

The PUB LUNCH is served on select days only (generally on sea days). On our last cruise, the manager told us that the pub lunch is so popular that it will be available fleet wide soon. They will also add other items such as desserts too. All that will start sometime later this year (I believe he said April or May).

The PUB LUNCH is served on select days only (generally on sea days). On our last cruise, the manager told us that the pub lunch is so popular that it will be available fleet wide soon. They will also add other items such as desserts too. All that will start sometime later this year (I believe he said April or May).

Desserts with pub lunches! Urghh! What next? One doesn't have desserts with pub lunches otherwise it's not a pub lunch.

Just goes to show that everyone's experience is relative. I had the pub lunch on the Diamond recently and honestly it was awful!

I usually love the food on Princess but this was just gross..and in case you are wondering my husband is english.

No one on our table of 8 enjoyed it and most left it almost untouched.

Never mind one missed meal was a good thing...the rest of the meals were toooo goood!

I ordered Fish & Chips on the lunch menu on the Diamond....Believe you me its not on a regular basis that I have to return food..........These were lousy:eek::eek:.

The worst Fish & Chips I've ever been given in my life.:eek:.....I am a connoisseur when it comes to fish and chips a British native living in Canada.I have to go back home to UK always to get decent Fish& Chips. Then I go to the chippie which has no seating.Eat the fish & Chips sitting on their low windowsill. Due to the fact that if you take them home paper wrapped,heat them up,they are never the same as fresh.:D

Edited by kruisey

What are "Mushy Peas"? Please.

mushy peas are the ones you buy dried in a packet. They are soaked in water over night until they swell back up to their normal size. They are then heated and the heat causes them to partly go mushy. They are then made mushy like in mashed potatos

mushy peas are the ones you buy dried in a packet. They are soaked in water over night until they swell back up to their normal size. They are then heated and the heat causes them to partly go mushy. They are then made mushy like in mashed potatos

Sounds like baby food

• 4 years later...

I apologize - I see this is an old thread, I'm just wondering if this still exists (can't find any newer threads on this topic). Does Princess still do the pub lunch? Are the fish and chips as wonderful as some of the posts here indicate?

I apologize - I see this is an old thread, I'm just wondering if this still exists (can't find any newer threads on this topic). Does Princess still do the pub lunch? Are the fish and chips as wonderful as some of the posts here indicate?

Yes! Its usually held on sea days, most of the time in the CRown Grill but may be in a different location depending on the ship. ;)

Its great!

We had it in the Crown Grill on the Star on Sunday. The menu we had was Fish and Chips, Bangers & Mash, Steak & Kidney Pie and ploghmans lunch. I don't like fish, so I had the bangers and mash (I didn't particularly care for the sausage so didn't each much of it) and fish and chips without the fish - ie fries and peas.

Bread and butter pudding for dessert. I think the Shepherd's pie is gone. I guess I go to the Cheesecake Factory for that.