BMI vs United

brandba

We are flying July 5 from Washington, DC > Berlin then July 9 > London (where we pick up the cruise) July 27 >Washington. Using the identical flights, I get a fare of 1283 on BMI (with the flights operated by United) and 1320 on United (through Kayak and also Orbitz). Can anyone help me figure out what the difference would be if I took the flight on BMI instead of booking it with the UA flight number?

We are flying July 5 from Washington, DC > Berlin then July 9 > London (where we pick up the cruise) July 27 >Washington. Using the identical flights, I get a fare of 1283 on BMI (with the flights operated by United) and 1320 on United (through Kayak and also Orbitz). Can anyone help me figure out what the difference would be if I took the flight on BMI instead of booking it with the UA flight number?
Aside from saving $37, you may find it harder to select seats, but otherwise no difference.

We've got an example here of the "arbitrage" situation you can sometimes find with codeshares. Found one for Mrs. FT today - on Alaska (operating airline), the ticket would have been $210, but when buying the DL codeshare, it was only $128. Same flights, even getting the preferred elite seating. The $80 will find a good use, and it only "cost" about 5 minutes on ITA.

One other thing to consider is if you book through UA (for a few $ more) you likely will get the option of upgrading to Economy Plus (more leg room) for a few more additional $ durring the booking procedure. You will not get this option booking through BMI until 24 hours before flight time. For me Economy Plus is worth it on long flights.

JMHO,

John

Archived