Bring your own snorkel equipment?

travelangel7

Hi,

We are doing a Royal Carribean cruise in January. Just wanted your opinion on bringing your own snorkling equipment with you? This is our first cruise. Do you think it will be worth to carry the extra weight on the plane?

We love snorkling!

Just wanted to know what everyone else is doing.

Hi,

We are doing a Royal Carribean cruise in January. Just wanted your opinion on bringing your own snorkling equipment with you? This is our first cruise. Do you think it will be worth to carry the extra weight on the plane?

We love snorkling!

I would suggest taking your own mask and snorkel and just rent the fins and safety vest.You know that your mask probably fits you and where your snorklel has been--they should be easy to pack.Have a great cruise!

Hi,

We love snorkling!

We are taking our own stuff (fins, snorkel, mask) but renting a vest if/when required. I don't know where any of their items have been, nor do I know how they are cleaned and if they will fit. I have a small foot, (about a women's 5.5) and it can be difficult to get adult fins in that size (have gone to the children's section with better luck!) :p

I think it's worth the extra weight...but we're also flying Southwest so I am checking my bags for free :D

I would suggest taking your own mask and snorkel and just rent the fins and safety vest.You know that your mask probably fits you and where your snorklel has been--they should be easy to pack.Have a great cruise!

That's exactly what I would have written.

Bring your own. You know your equipment is clean. Plus your guarenteed to have it, we were in Grand Turk and couldnt rent snorkel gear cause it was all rented out.

Wow...never really thought about the fact that they could be out of rental equipment. I figured there would be multiple places you could get items from... :( Now I am *really* glad we're taking all our own stuff. Imagine getting there, having my heart set on snorkeling and not being able to do it because of lack of equipment! :eek: (Though it would give me a reason to say we have to return...)

I always take my mask, fins and snorkel. I usually pack the mask and snorkel in my carryon.

The fins I actually will put in my bag on their side to add extra support to my luggage. I have used them to pack items that needed extra protection in transit.

I don't have my own snorkel gear, but we're visiting 3 beaches and would like to snorkel from the beach several times. Its the dead of Winter in Canada so I can't buy gear here, but I wonder if there is somewhere economical that I can purchase the gear either onboard the Crown Princess or in Cayman Islands or Cozumel? It would surely be cheaper than renting multiple times, and I doubt my husband would put a rented snorkel in his mouth, clean or not!

I don't have my own snorkel gear, but we're visiting 3 beaches and would like to snorkel from the beach several times. Its the dead of Winter in Canada so I can't buy gear here, but I wonder if there is somewhere economical that I can purchase the gear either onboard the Crown Princess or in Cayman Islands or Cozumel? It would surely be cheaper than renting multiple times, and I doubt my husband would put a rented snorkel in his mouth, clean or not!

Try Ontario's best dive shops.

http://www.dansdiveshop.ca/

that's what I would suggest too. Try any local dive shop in your area. The fins may be pricier but they will be good!

I have fins with an open heel and booties for diving (in Canada brr) but I think I may buy ones with a closed heel just so I do not have to pack the booties too!

If your cruise leaves out of FL they will have warm weather gear year round at even the most basic of places (Walmart) to sporting goods stores.

Its the dead of Winter in Canada so I can't buy gear here

We were at Costco today and they have some snorkel gear. Don't know about the quality, but I'm thinking, after reading everyone's posts, that I'll head over there this week and pick up two sets for our RCL cruise next week (snorkeling in Cozumel with Eagle Ray Divers)

• 2 years later...

Your local dive shop should be your first stop. They will be able to make professional recommendations for the best equipment that will suit your requirements and budget, with priority being placed on a properly fitted mask. While online purchases from a reputable dealer such as Dan's might save you a few dollars, I wouldn't recommend going that route until you are more experienced. As for the packages at Canadian Tire and similar stores, I'd keep away entirely.

Whatever you decide to buy, I hope that you enjoy your snorkelling!

I have fins with an open heel and booties for diving (in Canada brr) but I think I may buy ones with a closed heel just so I do not have to pack the booties too!

We went that route a few years ago. The closed heel fins are also lighter, a bonus with today's baggage weight restrictions. But before you make the move, consider where you are likely to be diving/snorkelling. Without your booties, some shore entries can be quite hard on the feet, so a pair of cheap, light watersport booties (which we also have) and your existing fins might be the better option.

On our upcoming cruise, we have 10 days of snorkelling. While most will be from a boat or sandy shore, a number of shore entries are over sharp coral so we are leaning towards our dive fins and light booties. If we can pack light enough, we may take both sets of fins! :)

Besides all the great reasons other posters mentioned, we snorkel at almost every port and sometimes more than one beach per port. There are 3 of us, so bringing our own equipment is cheaper than the multiple rentals. . .extra baggage fees included.

We snorkel at every port that we can. We love it. With that being said, we take ALL of our own equipment. We purchased a kit (US Divers) and it comes in a case that fits sideways in our suitcase and really doesn't take up much room. The fins are the smaller half fins and work terrific, which helps with the space too.

This last cruise, we added the snorkel vest. I mean after all, it's a material and it folds up, so it doesn't really take up space if you know what I mean. It's less space that a tee-shirt. I also added a pair of snorkel "socks" (not sure what the actual name is for them) but they came in real handy and could double as something protective on your feet when walking on the beach. :)

Archived