Port changed from Marseille to Toulon.. Is this bad?

CruiseDaydreamer

Our June Voyager cruise just had a port change from Marseille to Toulon. I had planned on doing an on-your-own cruise excursion to Aix-en-Provence. It looks like Aix is too far from Toulon to do this... the cruise excursions haven't been posted yet.

Is the port of Toulon better or worse than Marseille? What is there to do from Toulon? Any opinions?

we were schedules to go to Marseille in October but the ship couldn't dock because of weather, so I think they changed it for future ports. I found the excursions better, they had one to St. Tropez, which I am going to book for next October; I didn't get to go there when I was in Nice a few years ago. Look at the excursions.

Our June Voyager cruise just had a port change from Marseille to Toulon. I had planned on doing an on-your-own cruise excursion to Aix-en-Provence. It looks like Aix is too far from Toulon to do this... the cruise excursions haven't been posted yet. Is the port of Toulon better or worse than Marseille? What is there to do from Toulon? Any opinions?

On Toulon versus Marseille, one difference is size. Toulon has about 170,000 people, while Marseille has 840,000. Toulon is about 30 miles to the west of Marseille. Toulon is known as a navy port/base. There is some history in both cities, but most view Provence as more attractive and interesting than either of these port towns. That distance difference does make it a little harder to reach some parts of Provence. Were you planning to rent a car and drive yourself? From Toulon to Aix, per MapQuest.com, it takes about 52 minutes to cover the distance of 51.49 miles between these two cities. That compares to 26 minutes to cover the 19.96 miles from Marseille to Aix. It is a difference, but I would not call it a massive difference. With Toulon being smaller, that might aid your logistics a little. It will take a little more time from Toulon, but it still seems possible. How much time do you have in port?

Here are my notes on Aix. Let us know any other questions or reactions.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 125,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs, dining at Gu et Fils. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets. Aix-en-Provence is also renowned worldwide for its unique classical music festival.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I never rent cars in Europe; I was planning on using Royal Caribbean's excursions; but, now that you said Marseille is 30 miles away, maybe I will look at something there; I wanted to find some shops that sell lotions and soaps.

I never rent cars in Europe; I was planning on using Royal Caribbean's excursions; but, now that you said Marseille is 30 miles away, maybe I will look at something there; I wanted to find some shops that sell lotions and soaps.

If you're looking for lotions and soaps, you will find them in lots of places along the coast there and in Provence. There is also a French company, L'OCCITANE, that has stores in Paris and the United States. We have a couple of their nice stores here in Central Ohio that have a wide selections of these items made in Provence. Maybe, some are near you. They started their company in 1976, in the hills of Haute-Provene, a region of southern France that lies between the Alps and the Mediterranean. This company and many others use the fields of Provence and the traditions and techniques of these unspoiled lands to inspire and produce their products. Don't assume you can only get these items in Marseille. Lots of great options in this area.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if safety was an issue. Marseilles is known as a crime-ridden town. Just a thought.

We thoght we woudl take a train from Marseilles to Aix (easy) but now, with our Adventure cruise sailing to Toulon, it would require connecting trains that would only allow 3 hours in Aix. Drat.

I wonder if safety was an issue. Marseilles is known as a crime-ridden town. Just a thought. We thoght we woudl take a train from Marseilles to Aix (easy) but now, with our Adventure cruise sailing to Toulon, it would require connecting trains that would only allow 3 hours in Aix. Drat.

You could be correct on the Marseilles crime/safety questions as a factor. It's a blue-collar port, not as charming, small and quaint as ports in the Med. Note what was posted on your original question.

Don't rule out the rental car option. French trains can be great, on some routes with the right, easy connections. However, that type of rail service is not everywhere, especially along this coastal area. Driving in many part of France can work well and could offer lots of greater flexibility that is worth considering.

I'd consider the car option because I speak French and am usually happy to drive most anywhere except that we have 9 people and I'm not up for driving a van.

I think we will just find a coastal town of charm near Toulon.

I'd consider the car option because I speak French and am usually happy to drive most anywhere except that we have 9 people and I'm not up for driving a van. I think we will just find a coastal town of charm near Toulon.

YES, nine people, a van, etc., does make things a little more complicated and involved. I would check the Toulon tourism office at this below website. E-mail them and ask about some private tour options that might be available or possible. With the size of your group you could do some unique and/or different things.

http://www.toulontourisme.com

or

http://www.toulontourisme.com/votresejour/UK/welcome.htm

• 3 weeks later...

You can get Savon de Marseille ( the big block olive oil soaps), at any Monoprix store. Monoprix, one of my favorite attractions in France, in most larger towns, feature just about everything at nice pricing. Wines, chocolates, bakerys, interesting ladies things. Savon de Marseille makes a bright purple lavendar scented soap-my fav.

We're reading a lot more guidebooks and Toulon does not look nice. For instance, I was reading a book about the region and the author said something to the affect that people dismiss the area between St. Tropez and Marseilles to swiftly. Sure, there are some scrappy industrial towns like Toulon, but there are other hidden gems. They also refer to Toulon in another book as being full of concrete apartment blocks and seedy clubs.

This is not promising. I also regret not being closer to Aix. Although I speak French, I am uninterested in figuring out parking, etc., and will not rent a car. That leaves us with not many options that don't include multiple hours on a bus with 60 other people beiung herded like cattle.

I think we'll take the train away from Toulon.

Our June Voyager cruise just had a port change from Marseille to Toulon. I had planned on doing an on-your-own cruise excursion to Aix-en-Provence. It looks like Aix is too far from Toulon to do this... the cruise excursions haven't been posted yet.

Is the port of Toulon better or worse than Marseille? What is there to do from Toulon? Any opinions?

We were docked in Toulon and booked this tour.

http://www.marseille-private-tours.com/prov-4.htm

The company was great, and the hillside villages of Gordes, Roussillon and others were absolutely spectacular (google "images Gordes"). The company site says tours from Marseille, but they arranged this from Toulon. We have been to Aix and although it was lovely, the tour we took to Luberon was so much better. This company has all sized vehicles and the cost is not that bad per person. You can also get some others from your roll call to join you and get the larger bus (up to 19 people I think). Just a suggestion.

Amy

Well Toulon is not the best port (probably cheaper as port costs)

You have the highways for Aix and Marseille, closer only Cassis is very nice.

On the other side it also some distance to Antibes. St Tropez is a bit closer but traffic can be hectic.

Note that in Europe a lot of cars are manual gear and not automatic!

Excellent tool to see distances and time driving is

http://www.viamichelin.com/

With regard to Marseille it is not as bad when you stay in city center and more touristic places. Crime is more in some suburbs. I have several times be in Marseille without feeling uncomfortable.

We have docked in both ports, and of the 2, I definitely preferred Toulon! We docked right in town, there was a little tourist tractor train, beaches, market, attractive cobbled old town, (good quality shops) and nice harbour area with lots of cafes etc. Port of Marseilles was a long way from the centre, which wasn't as attractive. On our first stop in Toulon, we did a ship tour to Aix and Marseilles, which began with a walking tour of Aix, followed by an hour and a half or more free time. Quick stop in Marseilles at cathedral on top of hill. Whole day was really pleasant, maybe an hour each way in coach, never felt "herded" once!

kate

We docked in Toulon on our first Med cruise on Brilliance OTS. We did a ship tour to Aix-en-Provence and had a wonderful time.

They did offer 2. One was a shorter version and the other was almost all day. We opted for the shorter since this was our last port before disembarking in Barcelona the next day. Figured I would spend the afternoon packing :(

Does RCI not offer Aix-en-Provence excursions from this port anymore? I can't imagine them not. Toulon port was big and industrial. Didnt check out the city....... but we did enjoy Aix. Also enjoyed the ride to and from through Provencale countryside. I did quite a bit of shopping here. Lots of good stuff :)

We docked in Toulon on our first Med cruise on Brilliance OTS. We did a ship tour to Aix-en-Provence and had a wonderful time.

They did offer 2. One was a shorter version and the other was almost all day. We opted for the shorter since this was our last port before disembarking in Barcelona the next day. Figured I would spend the afternoon packing :(

Does RCI not offer Aix-en-Provence excursions from this port anymore? I can't imagine them not. Toulon port was big and industrial. Didnt check out the city....... but we did enjoy Aix. Also enjoyed the ride to and from through Provencale countryside. I did quite a bit of shopping here. Lots of good stuff :)

The only Aix excursion is based on the life of Cezanne and costs $159. They only list six excursions for this port in total. That's kind of limited.

We are docked on a Sunday. Any shopping opportunities in any of these ports, or are they closed on Sunday?

Thanks.

The only Aix excursion is based on the life of Cezanne and costs $159. They only list six excursions for this port in total. That's kind of limited.

WOW....only 6 excursions. We were there Dec. 1st - way out of season and they had more than that listed. Wonder what happened ?

We are docked on a Sunday. Any shopping opportunities in any of these ports, or are they closed on Sunday?

Thanks.

We were there on a Friday. Can't really comment on Sunday shopping - sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that you have ruled out driving, just want to plug the drive from Cassis to Marseille along the water, beautiful views of Marseille as you come around the mountainous area behind the calanques.

In Marseille the best views are from Notre Dame de la Garde. Fish market at the old port is interesting and one "must" have boulliabaise, look for the restaurants with the most local looking folk as it is actually easier to get a poor meal in Marseille than not.

For military buffs (or those eager to leave home) the home of the Foreign Legion is near to Toulon.

Archived