Sandcastle Beach vs Rainbow Beach

nastynan

Went to both websites for these beaches - hard to tell from pictures. Has anyone been to them and could recommend. The $25 package at Sandcastle sounds good because it includes drinks and use of the pool. Don't know if Rainbow has one. Looking for calm non-rocky beach. Thanks

Sandcastle is a beautiful calm beach and you can snorkel right there. There are some large rocks out in the water but the sand is fine. If you go to the Sandcastle website they have a webcam. It's a very nice place to spend time. There is also a pool which is small but nice.

Have been there twice but don't think I saw Rainbow beach to compare them. Also you can walk it from the pier, about 15 mins along the beach. Enjoy!!

Thanks so much - think I will try Sandcastle. Is the walk an "easy one" - my husband is not fond of walking.

there are private minivans frequently running past beach, charge$2.50 just hail 1 down

these are not private cabs?

Do you have to pay the 25.00 or can you just use the beach without the package?

There is a $5 package that gets you use of the facilities (including the pool) and a lounge chair on the beach. The more expensive package also includes a beach umbrella and rum punch. We're doing the $5 package.

i agree, it is dificult to tell from pictures. both beaches are about the same distance from the pier, just in oposite directions. sancastle does have the pool but the beach has more rocks than rainbow. rainbow has a bar/resaraunt and facilitys as well. there are also water sports and vollyball available at rainbow. if you did walk to sand castle you would have to go along the road because there art sections such as the boat ramp that are not passable. the walk to rainbow however can be wlaked along the beach the entire way. its about 1 mile. depending on how much rum punch you want to drink, (they are about 2.50 - 3.00 a glass) should help you determine if the $25 is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Rainbow beach last Saturday (January 23, 2010). Everyone at the tourist info booth advised us not to walk. There is a shuttle bus that will take you on one round trip to either Rainbow Beach or Sand Castle on the Beach for $6 pp. I was not very impressed with Rainbow Beach. It is a narrow strip of beach. Beach chairs were $10 a piece. When they ran out of chairs to rent, we had to wait about 20 minutes to a half hour for them to bring a truck load of beach chairs. I only saw 3 or 4 umbrellas. They did not have any available to rent to us. There was very little shade. We chose Rainbow over Sandcastle because Rainbow had water sports for rent. (Sandcastle has no water sports.) My husband rented a jet ski at $50/ half hour. We saw parasails, but we didn't get the price. There was a bar/restaurant, but we did not use it. There is a somewhat decent men's bathroom and ladies bathroom, but no shower. There is one sink for both bathrooms and a large bucket filled with water to dip your feet into to rinse them off.

Are these shuttles easy to locate? Do they have a name on them? Are they right at the pier?

Hi: Printingchick. We are trying to find a decent beach too in St. Croix. email me if you come across something good. See you at SJU for our shared taxi to the ship. Happy Birthday. Carol

Thanks, CruiseCookie. Good to know!

Carol,

Carissa and I plan to spend the day at Sand Castle Beach Resort. It's either 1/2 mile or close to 2 miles (depending on who you ask) from the pier. CruiseCookie informs me that the $3/each way taxi ride the resort described is actually a beach shuttle. Even better. I couldn't figure out what to tip on a $3 taxi fare!!

We'll be getting up early and hiking on St. John the previous day so we wanted to have a leisurely day in St. Croix. We won't request a wake-up call. We'll just disembark at our leisure.

I've read great things about the beach and it looks lovely in the photos. It's $5 for a day pass which includes beach chairs. For $25 you also get umbrellas and rum punch. We plan to just do the $5 package.

There is a small beach-front pool which is for adult use only. There are bars and restaurants there, which are said to be good, but a little pricey.

The resort has a website you can visit. There are lots of photos and information about the cruise passenger day pass options.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, Lois. Just turned 50 a couple weeks ago and my eyes don't work like they should anymore! I avoid wearing the bifocals because I'm trying to hide my advancing years. Shhh...don't tell anyone!!!

LOL...not a problem;):D..I will be 52 next month and wear glasses

for distance only:eek:...everyone tells me that is weird because I still

don't wear them for reading:confused:

Hi Lois. We really enjoy walking. Is it doable to Sand Castle? About how far did you determine it was?

It is probably about 2 miles from the ship so definitely doable if you

are walkers:)

There were 7 of us and one person had a foot issue so no way were

we going to walk. And after being there for a few hours I definitely

preferred wheeled transportation;). It was quite warm out.

• 1 month later...
This thread has helped a lot! Thanks for the info, we deceided to go for Sandcastle Beach when we dock in March.

Cool:D I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

• 3 weeks later...

Sandcastle was rec to us by the tourism people at the pier since we had kids. They specifically said since we had kids they would rec Sandcastle over Rainbow!! We were 2 families - two 9 yr olds and two 12 year olds. The transportation was $6 per person round trip. There are 2 packages - one for $25 that includes 2 chairs, rum punch and an umbrella. The other package was $5 per chair - no umbrella. Be sure to really read the packages carefully....both families read it and walked onto the beach thinking we were getting the umbrella too....and then was told that was $10 extra. Not saying it doesn't say it - just was written unclearly.

So then we go get all set on the beach....which is very rocky for kids- big rocks with some waves that day - enough that it would be concerning to most parents that the kids could get slammed into the rocks. But the kids were having fun.....until my daughter found the hypodermic needle. Now I realize this could happen any where....it was the attitude that followed that ticked me off. This is a small place....not a big hotel area. We nicely brought it to the attention of the man who seemed to be in charge up near the pool area. No apologies from him. Really didn't seem concerned at all.

The kids then decided that they would go in the pool instead. As I said - this is a really small area - not a big Carib Hilton where the beach and pool are far apart. The pool is smaller than the one in my backyard. The kids were able to stand. The kids went up without us. (as I said this is about 20 feet from where we were sitting) The man that was not concerned about the needle was now quite concerned about the kids' swimming safety...and came down and identified himself as the "health and safety officer" and told us that we needed to be sitting right next to the pool. So without comment, the other mom and I went up and made ourselves comfortable in the chairs by the pool. I had just sat down when we were told the kids couldn't make noise in the pool. Ok, I realize that some people don't want to hear kids, (so don't flame me - I don't blame you - I don't always want to hear kids either and I have 2 of them!) but then don't have the people at the pier rec the place for families. Or don't allow kids to begin with if that is the atmosphere you want!! And regardless of kids or adults you would think the owner would be a bit more concerned about a hypodermic needle on his beach!

Overall we had a great cruise with great excursions, but in 7 cruises this was really not a place for families. Or maybe anyone unless you want quiet and don't intend to use the beach. Bring water shoes if you do want to go in.

so sorry to hear of your experiance. Please do not let that reflect porly on the island as a whole. Im not sure who the "health and safety" man was, but i know for a fact that it was not the owner. the owners are two very nice women. next time i see them i will make sure to let them know of your experiance as i am sure that is not how they would want there guests treated.

The resort is known for as a quieter area, but i would expect some leway when there is a ship in port and they are accomidating families.

As far as the beach being rocky, it is unfortunate when the waves are bigger, it tends to wash away a lot of the sand. There was a recent earth quake on the Puerto rican trench and has caused a lot of larger surf in the area, plus poor visability. I understand your concern for the kids, as i dont take my kids there when it is rocky either. Im glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise overall!!

Archived