A few ?'s

Blongers

Ok this is my wife and I's first cruise and we are going on the norwegian star Mexican riviera cruise.

and the questions begin...

Is bringing a Pre-paid credit card good enough to pay for most items that we may buy?

Should we bring "pesos" with us and how much would be a good bet? $200 american?

Is there something "waterproof" that we could put our cell phone in so it doesnt get wet or is that something I should just leave in our cabin safe? My wife and I are leaving our 4 kids at home with a babysitter so I am kind of concerned about leaving it on the ship for 8 ish hours while we are in port but I dont want to lose it either lol. I guess that it would be better off left in the cabin safe as we are house is only 3 miles from an emergency room should any of the kids need to go.

Do the Dispossible underwater cameras work good in say Cabo while snorkeling or am I better off just buying post cards?

For now thats all I can think of. I am sure I will have more just I cant think of all of them (thats what I get for not writing them down lol).

Pre paid cc is OK as long as there is enough on it to cover everything.

You will not need Pesos. US$ are accepted. Bring small bills. They will often give change in Pesos

Ziplock baggie sould work for phone.

well I plan on putting $1500 on the card and then leaving everything else in the cabin safe. Thanks for the info on the bills... so bring a bunch of $1 bills and maybe a couple $20's?

Also I know some places like the Kalahari (not the desert but the indoor waterpark) can connect your card with your room key. However they wont do it if the credit card is also a debit card. Is the cruise line the same way?

As far as the underwater disposable cameras go, we bought a Kodak Sport Waterproof single use one and it worked great and the pictures were very clear. You can take pictures underwater and outdoors but not inside, we tried a couple inside and they came out too dark to see, but all the underwater and outdoor ones were good.

well I plan on putting $1500 on the card and then leaving everything else in the cabin safe. Thanks for the info on the bills... so bring a bunch of $1 bills and maybe a couple $20's?

Also I know some places like the Kalahari (not the desert but the indoor waterpark) can connect your card with your room key. However they wont do it if the credit card is also a debit card. Is the cruise line the same way?

You can use a debit card BUT they will authorize a certain amount and then when they submit the final bill the authorization is still on and you may be overdrawn if not a lot in account.

You can also put down Cash for your on board account, did you mean you were using the pre paid card for your on ship deposit as well as off ship purchases?

Remember there is a $12. per day per person service charge applied to your daily account.

Also while not related to the water proofing question, do search and read the threads on here about using and even having ON your cell phone on a cruise.

I am not so sure a pre-paid cc can be used. With a pre-paid they can't take money out and put it back in. You MAY be able to use it at the end to pay the cruise off. You should call the NCL during the week and ask for the finance/accounting department

This is from NCL....

unless someone above has actually used one and is not just telling you what they think...

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to NCL's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®,travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. You may also use your debit card; however, please be advised that NCL obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

As to the bills,yes, lots of ones, some five and tens and twenties. You don't want to pay with a 20 for a $2 item and get $18 in pesos.

You can use a debit card BUT they will authorize a certain amount and then when they submit the final bill the authorization is still on and you may be overdrawn if not a lot in account.

You can also put down Cash for your on board account, did you mean you were using the pre paid card for your on ship deposit as well as off ship purchases?

Remember there is a $12. per day per person service charge applied to your daily account.

Also while not related to the water proofing question, do search and read the threads on here about using and even having ON your cell phone on a cruise.

no the pre-paid would be for items off the ship. I planned on using the debit card for onboard expenses and as thus would rather have the room key connected to my account. My bank holds preauthorized for 7 days. I was just thinking that using a pre-paid card for off ship items if I lose it im only out whats on the card instead of whats in my checking lol. I dont own a credit card. I will call them next week about how much the pre-authorization is.

I didnt see any threads about the cell phone thing but then again I didnt search for them either lol. will do so now.

paul929207 thanks for the info :D.

Ok this is my wife and I's first cruise and we are going on the norwegian star Mexican riviera cruise.

Is bringing a Pre-paid credit card good enough to pay for most items that we may buy?

Should we bring "pesos" with us and how much would be a good bet? $200 american?

Is there something "waterproof" that we could put our cell phone in so it doesnt get wet or is that something I should just leave in our cabin safe? My wife and I are leaving our 4 kids at home with a babysitter so I am kind of concerned about leaving it on the ship for 8 ish hours while we are in port but I dont want to lose it either lol. I guess that it would be better off left in the cabin safe as we are house is only 3 miles from an emergency room should any of the kids need to go.

Do the Dispossible underwater cameras work good in say Cabo while snorkeling or am I better off just buying post cards?

For now thats all I can think of. I am sure I will have more just I cant think of all of them (thats what I get for not writing them down lol).

I have been to the Mexican Riviera four times (once on the NCL Star) and US dollars are accepted everywhere.

Something waterproof - try one of these sites ...

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html

http://www.altrec.com/aquapac/

The disposable cameras work anywhere, including Cabo. These pictures were taken with a waterproof disposable camera ...

Dolphineunderwater.jpg

Dolphinjump.jpg

StingrayCity4.jpg

StingrayCity1.jpg

For comparison, these pictures where taken with a (non-disposable) underwater digital camera ...

IMGP0837.jpg

IMGP0819.jpg

I have been to the Mexican Riviera four times (once on the NCL Star) and US dollars are accepted everywhere.

The disposable cameras work anywhere, including Cabo. These pictures were taken with a waterproof disposable camera ...

wow I might have to get one of those aquapac waterproof camera cases and just bring my pos coolpix 5200... thanks for those links.

We always leave our cell phones in the safe. But we don't have coverage except in the U.S. They work for us in St. Thomas and in San Juan.

I bought an inexpensive Fuji underwater digital camera. It took pretty good photos when we were snorkeling off Grand Turk on our cruise. It's going to come in handy at home too since we kayak a lot. I'm glad to have a camera I don't have to worry about getting wet.

Pre-paid credit cards are not of much value in foreign ports. The local merchants just don't seem to take them. Either cash or regular credit cards work the best. And don't bother with pesos.

As for a debit card, no, they absolutely do not link them to your room key. What you do is use that card at check in to cover your on board expenses, but it doesn't become your room key. And, be very careful of debit cards---unless you clear it with your bank for larger transactions, your charges could be refused. Most bank debit cards have a very low daily limit, and it makes absolutely no difference if you have a million dollars in your checking account, if they slap a low daily limit on the debit, your ship charges could be denied. Also, they can put a hold on a fairly large amount of YOUR money in your account when you use a debit card, and they can hold that money for as long as 30 days. Personally, I never use a debit card on a cruise---just a regular credit card. Debits are just too much of a hassle, in the long run.

QUOTE]

Would it be possible for you to post your pictures and give us a link rather than forcing us to page thru them?

Pre-paid credit cards are not of much value in foreign ports. The local merchants just don't seem to take them. Either cash or regular credit cards work the best. And don't bother with pesos.

As for a debit card, no, they absolutely do not link them to your room key. What you do is use that card at check in to cover your on board expenses, but it doesn't become your room key. And, be very careful of debit cards---unless you clear it with your bank for larger transactions, your charges could be refused. Most bank debit cards have a very low daily limit, and it makes absolutely no difference if you have a million dollars in your checking account, if they slap a low daily limit on the debit, your ship charges could be denied. Also, they can put a hold on a fairly large amount of YOUR money in your account when you use a debit card, and they can hold that money for as long as 30 days. Personally, I never use a debit card on a cruise---just a regular credit card. Debits are just too much of a hassle, in the long run.

1 I dont own a credit card and never will. My daily limit is $2500 on my debit card. I might as well shoot myself if I spend that much lol. also where did you get that I said my debit card would become my room key???? maybe im misreading what your saying but I never said my debit card would be my room key rather the room key would be where I make my purchases. Obviously it wouldnt get charged to my debit card until the end of the cruise. At least at the Kalahari resort they linked my debit card with my room key so I could make charges on my room key without taking my debit card everywhere. Then at the end of my stay they charged the whole amount to my debit card (since I didnt pay in cash). Basicly they wanted a card they could connect to your room key in case you for some reason didnt pay for it they had yer card. but then again the Kalahari resort isnt a cruise line lol. ugh I really dont want to bring a ton of cash with me...

I wonder what the difference is between a pre-paid credit card is and a regular credit card that the merchants wont accept them? I feel the same way about debit cards since I can use it as a credit card as well. People hear the word debit and they run in fear for some reason. Heck ive used it to make reservations before lol.

Sorry I am not trying to make it look like I am against what everyone is saying here. I am glad people are saying it because its got me thinking about more options. I think I will goto my bank in the morning and see what I can do about possibly getting a credit card through my bank (not a pre-paid) as I seriously dont want to bring $1500 in cash with me lol.

Okay, let me explain how the room key works (at least on Carnival and Princess). When you check in, you will be asked for a credit card. Since you don't have one, you'll probably have to give the clerk a certain amount in cash (something you should check on with a reliable source, such as NCL, before you show up on embarkation day).

You will be given a sign and sail card (may be called something different on NCL) that will be used to open your cabin door and to charge anything onboard. Also to get off the ship, you'll insert this card into a machine that keeps track on who comes and goes off the ship (a photo of you will be embedded when you first get on ship).

As for purchases in Mexican ports, what the others have told is fine. The stores will accept American money. But you may get change in pesos. I remember once in Cabo, our last port, my hubby leaving whatever pesos we had left as a tip at a bar in addition to American money. You might also consider getting travelers checques that are acceptable in other countries.

As for the cell phone, I believe it's a good idea not to actually use it on a cruise. The cell site they use is probably pretty expensive. See if you can set up a web-based email address (like yahoo.com) that you can send a message in the case of an emergency. Just realize it's not a guarantee that you'll be able to always get an Internet signal onboard and it'll be slow even if you do. Plus the charges to access the Internet are almost as high as phone service. Just suggesting a backup. Plus, many people don't appreciate hearing people making personal calls during a cruise if you're up on deck.

we bought this for our cruise and it was the best money ever spent!!!!

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/mini-whanganui-br-644-1894-0.html

any questions let me know!!

Jan

Would it be possible for you to post your pictures and give us a link rather than forcing us to page thru them?

Dolphineunderwater.jpg

Dolphinjump.jpg

StingrayCity4.jpg

StingrayCity1.jpg

For comparison, these pictures where taken with a (non-disposable) underwater digital camera ...

IMGP0837.jpg

IMGP0819.jpg

As you can see, I did post the pictures and links.

Okay' date=' let me explain how the room key works (at least on Carnival and Princess). When you check in, you will be asked for a credit card. Since you don't have one, you'll probably have to give the clerk a certain amount in cash (something you should check on with a reliable source, such as NCL, before you show up on embarkation day).

You will be given a sign and sail card (may be called something different on NCL) that will be used to open your cabin door and to charge anything onboard. Also to get off the ship, you'll insert this card into a machine that keeps track on who comes and goes off the ship (a photo of you will be embedded when you first get on ship).

As for purchases in Mexican ports, what the others have told is fine. The stores will accept American money. But you may get change in pesos. I remember once in Cabo, our last port, my hubby leaving whatever pesos we had left as a tip at a bar in addition to American money. You might also consider getting travelers checques that are acceptable in other countries.

As for the cell phone, I believe it's a good idea not to actually use it on a cruise. The cell site they use is probably pretty expensive. See if you can set up a web-based email address (like yahoo.com) that you can send a message in the case of an emergency. Just realize it's not a guarantee that you'll be able to always get an Internet signal onboard and it'll be slow even if you do. Plus the charges to access the Internet are almost as high as phone service. Just suggesting a backup. Plus, many people don't appreciate hearing people making personal calls during a cruise if you're up on deck.[/quote']

So we get to keep the card's at the end of the trip? I know I said ill never get one but I went and got a credit card just because like one of the other posters said its a pain to use debit. Anyways do they also hold authorization for the credit cards as well? The phone is more for if there is an emergency at home. I dont plan on making any calls unless I have no other option lol.

we bought this for our cruise and it was the best money ever spent!!!!

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/mini-whanganui-br-644-1894-0.html

any questions let me know!!

Jan

I was looking at that item as well... I plan on leaving my wallet in the cabin so this would work better than having all my stuff in my velcro'd pocket on my swim shorts...

So we get to keep the card's at the end of the trip? I know I said ill never get one but I went and got a credit card just because like one of the other posters said its a pain to use debit. Anyways do they also hold authorization for the credit cards as well? The phone is more for if there is an emergency at home. I dont plan on making any calls unless I have no other option lol.

I think you are askng if you can keep your cruse card at the end of the cruise. If so, the answer is maybe. Some times they have collected them and other times they have let us keep them.

I think you are askng if you can keep your cruse card at the end of the cruise. If so, the answer is maybe. Some times they have collected them and other times they have let us keep them.

yes thats what I was asking :D. I was asking because imho why would they want to keep the card if they embed your picture on it?

Money:

$1500 on a pre-paid card is WAY MORE than you'll need on shore. It's not a bad idea to have a little more than you'll need (you can always use the card at home for groceries, etc.), but unless you're planning some very expensive excursions that'll be paid on the card, I think that much is over-kill. If I were in your shoes, I might consider getting a couple SMALLER cards; that way you could take card #1 on shore stop #1 and IF it was lost somehow, you wouldn't have lost the whole amount.

It IS a pretty good idea to bring along a pre-paid card. Through an unusual series of events, our credit card company cancelled our card once -- they thought it had been stolen, and they were trying to do good for us. But be sure that it's a card that could be replaced if it's lost.

Don't worry with pesos. All ports of call like -- even prefer -- American dollars.

Do bring some cash. Mexican stops tend to sell beers for $2, and you don't want to whip out a credit card for that amount. Also, some smaller vendors won't take credit cards. I'd suggest that you carry 2/3 of your shore-spending money on cards and 1/3 in cash.

Cameras:

I teach photography, and I can always tell the difference between a "real camera" and a disposable. The disposables all have plastic lenses, and they just can't reach the quality of a real camera. Still, I like the disposables for the beach, where I don't want to watch after my good camera every minute.

I personally like Fuji disposables. All the disposables contain film, which is fast becoming a lost art. Fuji film has superior blues and greens, which works best for beach-type pictures. Kodak is better for indoor pictures because they have better browns and yellows, but I don't really like Kodak waterproofs for the beach.

Phone:

I would definitely take along the phone on shore. A ziplock will do fine to protect it.

Archived