Eating/Drinking OFF the ship...

2preschoolers

Of course kids like to snack and drink often.....I'm curious what others do or take along on shore days? Do you take bottles of water? Do you bring insultated bottles from home and just refill them on the ship throughout the cruise? Can you take food OFF of the ship onto the ports of call? (We're going to Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman) And if you can't take snack off the ship with you - is it safe to eat the food there?

I'm guessing in Grand Cayman it's best NOT to go back to the ship for lunch since we have to tender back and forth. But for Cozumel and Ocho Rios...is it fairly easy to go back for a lunch break??

THANKS!!!

Port time is so limited to begin with, you're probably not going to want to waste any of it heading all the way back to the ship just to eat. I've eaten in all the ports I've been to and haven't gotten ill...just use the same common sense you would in our own country...if it looks dirty or smells funny, keep moving. And a lot of places have menus available right there so you can glance at it before sitting down. I think part of the education of travelling is trying some local food (within reason, LOL). Also many of the shopping areas have pharmacies and such that carry bottled water and familiar snacks that most kids would enjoy.

And the only food you're allowed to take off the ship is food that's prepacked and sealed.

Most countries -- including the US -- have pretty strict laws about NOT taking food off the ship (or off a plane, or whatever). So you're restricted to these options:

returning to the ship to eat meals. Tenders usually run every 15 minutes to a half-hour. If the ship is docked on shore, you can simply come and go as you please.

eating on shore (general rule of thumb -- don't eat fresh (uncooked) fruits and vegetables, but most cooked food is fine -- hang out in the tourist areas and eat where other tourists are eating; avoid street vendors). Buy bottled water or bottled soft drinks or canned (or bottled) juices. Don't drink beverages with ice in it, even if they've just opened a sealed bottle of water -- the ICE hasn't been purified....

or stocking up on commercially packaged foods and feeding them to your kids. You can get boxed cereals on the ship, but you would need to buy other single-serving prepacked foods and carry them with you, things like packaged crackers and cheese, or packaged crackers and peanut butter.

It's not that the food there is "bad", or the water "contaminated". It is more a matter of your "insides" (or more importantly, your kids "insides") having different bacteria than what they might encounter in foreign countries..and some folks are very sensitive to that. It can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, other discomforts, that could ruin your vacation.

I know that folks will start posting that "we've ALWAYS just carried food off the ship, hidden in our backpack, with no trouble!". Perhaps they've gotten away with it. But there are notices in the daily newsletter, announcements when the ship is docking, notices at the door as you leave the ship, often "sniffer dogs" looking for food, garbage cans at the end of the gangway and people there demanding you toss your food...

I tend to be mindful of rules and regulations, so don't break the rules. You of course are free to do what you think is right or appropriate.

Don't take anything but pre-packaged foods off the ship...at worst, they can detain you and give you a huge fine....not a nice way to spend a port day!

In GC, the food and drink is fine...no worries...it's Mexico and Jaimaca I'd worry about. Eat a big breakfast before you leave, and stick to cooked foods...nothing "fresh" that may have come in contact with water. Only canned or bottled drinks...no ice! No fruit or veggies.

We take along gummy snacks (from home). They travel well, and help keep the crazy hunger away between meals.

For drinks, everyone in our family has their own sports bottle that we fill up before getting off the ship. DD and I will mix in Crystal Lite To-Go, while DH and DS just drink straight water.

CeleBrat

Most countries -- including the US -- have pretty strict laws about NOT taking food off the ship (or off a plane, or whatever). So you're restricted to these options:

returning to the ship to eat meals. Tenders usually run every 15 minutes to a half-hour. If the ship is docked on shore, you can simply come and go as you please.

eating on shore (general rule of thumb -- don't eat fresh (uncooked) fruits and vegetables, but most cooked food is fine -- hang out in the tourist areas and eat where other tourists are eating; avoid street vendors). Buy bottled water or bottled soft drinks or canned (or bottled) juices. Don't drink beverages with ice in it, even if they've just opened a sealed bottle of water -- the ICE hasn't been purified....

or stocking up on commercially packaged foods and feeding them to your kids. You can get boxed cereals on the ship, but you would need to buy other single-serving prepacked foods and carry them with you, things like packaged crackers and cheese, or packaged crackers and peanut butter.

It's not that the food there is "bad", or the water "contaminated". It is more a matter of your "insides" (or more importantly, your kids "insides") having different bacteria than what they might encounter in foreign countries..and some folks are very sensitive to that. It can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, other discomforts, that could ruin your vacation.

I know that folks will start posting that "we've ALWAYS just carried food off the ship, hidden in our backpack, with no trouble!". Perhaps they've gotten away with it. But there are notices in the daily newsletter, announcements when the ship is docking, notices at the door as you leave the ship, often "sniffer dogs" looking for food, garbage cans at the end of the gangway and people there demanding you toss your food...

I tend to be mindful of rules and regulations, so don't break the rules. You of course are free to do what you think is right or appropriate.

I suppose, but these are not rules and regulations. These are the laws of the country being visited. The restrictions on bringing fresh food of any kind off the ship (that is, into the country, period--air travelers and land visitors aren't allowed to either) are in place to protect the ecosystem and agricultural integrity of the country/locale/region/island.

They are not, in fact, free to do what they think is right in these situations. It is not appropriate or right to break these laws for any reason.

Mexico is one of the countries that has extremely strict agricultural laws, so bringing fresh food off the ship is not an option. I believe that pre-packaged snack foods are okay though. Sealed beverages such as water and soda are also okay (as far as I know).

beachchick

I suppose, but these are not rules and regulations. These are the laws of the country being visited. The restrictions on bringing fresh food of any kind off the ship (that is, into the country, period--air travelers and land visitors aren't allowed to either) are in place to protect the ecosystem and agricultural integrity of the country/locale/region/island.

They are not, in fact, free to do what they think is right in these situations. It is not appropriate or right to break these laws for any reason.

Mexico is one of the countries that has extremely strict agricultural laws, so bringing fresh food off the ship is not an option. I believe that pre-packaged snack foods are okay though. Sealed beverages such as water and soda are also okay (as far as I know).

beachchick

Beachchick, you are of course absolutely correct. But I have been slammed SO many times on these boards by people insisting that I am an old fuddy-duddy, I've backed off statements such as yours, putting in the disclaimer "do as you please", because whether you and I are correct or not, they will indeed "do as they please", break the laws, etc.

So thanks for the reinforcing statements. The LAWS about taking food into another country are indeed that. Not that folks always follow the laws! :o

Of course kids like to snack and drink often.....I'm curious what others do or take along on shore days? Do you take bottles of water? Do you bring insultated bottles from home and just refill them on the ship throughout the cruise? Can you take food OFF of the ship onto the ports of call? (We're going to Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman) And if you can't take snack off the ship with you - is it safe to eat the food there?

I'm guessing in Grand Cayman it's best NOT to go back to the ship for lunch since we have to tender back and forth. But for Cozumel and Ocho Rios...is it fairly easy to go back for a lunch break??

THANKS!!!

You can take bottled water off the ship - CCL sells it in the area you exit the ship. We have bought it on shore. It really the best thing for you to be drinking in these hotter climates anyway. We have eaten Nachos in Costa Maya (the port is run by CCL) and not thought a thing of it. When I stayed in Jamaica 20 years ago, I believe it was safe to drink the water then. I think Mexico would be the only place you need to be a little more careful...but Cozumel is 100% western and isloated from the mainland - I believe you can drink their water too.

Water is perfectly fine in Jamaica; I have a sensitive tummy and some states in the US cause me water digestive woes...not so in Jamaica. The food there is fine too, even with most of the street vendors.

Now Mexico- bottled water...we did frozen drinks and snacky food at some of the more touristy places and didn't have issues. As far as street vendors...use your own discretion.

Don't be afraid to try new things, just be sure you have immodium or pepto packed in your stash of stuff.

4 trips to Jamaica and 3 cruises...never had to use it yet.

Beachchick, you are of course absolutely correct. But I have been slammed SO many times on these boards by people insisting that I am an old fuddy-duddy, I've backed off statements such as yours, putting in the disclaimer "do as you please", because whether you and I are correct or not, they will indeed "do as they please", break the laws, etc.

So thanks for the reinforcing statements. The LAWS about taking food into another country are indeed that. Not that folks always follow the laws! :o

I understand completely. I just get too, um, peeved about it because I've lived my whole life in agriculturaly sensitive areas (two to be precise), grew up in one a few hundred miles north of where live now, lived through the Med fly horrors and spraying, and currently live in an agricultural/wine region where the casual, thoughtless, and selfish smuggling of a few might devastate our local economy.

To be honest, I don't give a damn if other members call me names, flame me, or call me a fuddy duddy. It's such an important issue for me that I'll keep on keeping on stating the truth, regardless. Unfortunately, some people who have never dealt with the problems do not care or think it's not "real" (never mind the truth) or think it's being over-protective or that it's because the locals want visitors to spend money on food ashore.

But I understand your reluctance. I've been called some pretty nasty names by members who are, as far as I'm concerned, willfully ignorant, uncaring, and certainly not people I want to meet on cruises (or anywhere, for that matter). If the truth doesn't make a difference, then nothing will, I guess.

Just for fun and in case you are interested, here is a link to an article about the fall USDA/CA PSA/ad about the issue:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/nation/ap/53393712.html

beachchick

DH and I have no issues eating anywhere anytime and trying new things... but with the kids we have been a bit more careful. My oldest is now 7 and I would have him eat on shore - but when he and his brother were toddlers until now we were very careful and tried to only have them eat on board. This meant that we filled water bottles at breakfast every morning, brought little boxes of cereal from the buffet off the ship with us for mid/late morning snacks (packaged and sealed) and tended to go back and forth to the boat for a late lunch. Even with tendering it is fairly quick to get back and forth in the middle of the day. Now that everyone is getting a bit older and we are not so concerned about sore tummies we often stay off the boat all day on excursions.

Best of luck!

ljtee

We always eat lunch in port... that's why we cruise, though, to experience the culture and food of the countries visited. Sometimes I'll bring a bottle of water from the ship with some prepackaged snacks "just in case." But bottled water is readily available on most tours and stores on land.

In Cozumel, try out Panchos Backyard. The have consistently good food, a water filtration system, and family friendly atmosphere/staff. They website has a coupon for a free margarita. Print and bring with you! Their store, Los Cincos, is pretty neat too for souvenirs! Here's a pic of my son with a sales clerk he befriended. She picked out his hat and musical instruments.

http://www.loscincosoles.com/panchosbackyard/home.htm

4190515801_c8f8727387.jpg

The Caymans is similar to the US... so you'll find convenience stores that sell snacks, juices, water etc. I'm sure you can find a wonderful place to eat there.

I've never been to Ochos Rios so I can't comment.

We try to avoid eating in Mexico and since we aren't at an "all-inclusive" in Jamaica, we avoid eating there too. We go on a tour for approx 2 hours; return to ship and eat and then return to shore to shop for a couple of hours. Just makes us feel safe, as far as our stomach goes.

I've visited Cozumel 3 times and spent a week in Cancun... each time eating the food, drinking drinks etc. I even brushed my teeth with tap water. You'll be visiting a tourist destination... this isn't 3rd world Mexico. It actually might be more dangerous to eat at the buffet on the cruise ship! :eek: ;)

Anyone have suggestions for feeding a food allergic kid on port days? Honestly, I was planning on taking a sandwich off the ship for him, until I read that it's against the law :eek:. Maybe I should bring some Lunchables with us on the cruise to use for him during port days. Would those be OK to take off the ship? We're not planning any extravagant shore excursions (we want to do the pirate ship excursion in grand Cayman, and we'll be going to the beach in Cozunel and Montego Bay), so I guess we could try to head back to the ship, too. What's most do-able? Thanks for any advice! --Katie

As long as it is commercially packaged, most food can be brought off the ship. Meat is sometimes on the no-go list.

We bring hard candies, breakfast bars and boxed cereal (from breakfast) to port with us. When the kids were younger we have brought things like cheese & crackers. I've even seen small tubs of peanut butter.

I would be afraid of having Lunchables because the refridgerators on board are more like coolers set at 60F, and not fridges set at 40F.

Hopefully you can find a non-refridgerated option for your child.

On vacation my kids will eat things they don't normally eat at home (within dietary restrictions, of course).

Anyone have suggestions for feeding a food allergic kid on port days? Honestly, I was planning on taking a sandwich off the ship for him, until I read that it's against the law :eek:. Maybe I should bring some Lunchables with us on the cruise to use for him during port days. Would those be OK to take off the ship? We're not planning any extravagant shore excursions (we want to do the pirate ship excursion in grand Cayman, and we'll be going to the beach in Cozunel and Montego Bay), so I guess we could try to head back to the ship, too. What's most do-able? Thanks for any advice! --Katie

I'm not sure about the Lunchables because Mexico is one of the countries that is extremely strict about passengers bringing food (particularly fruit/veg, meat, and cheese) off the ships. It might be okay because it's factory sealed, but I'm just not sure. I remember posts from members about how passengers were required to surrender all food items, even pre-packaged crackers, in some Mexican ports.

You might want to go the Mexican Dept of Agriculture website (assume one exists) and see if there is info for you. If it is okay, I recall that Lunchables must be kept refrigerated? You'll need a cooler with ice for that.

It really might be best to head back to the ship for lunch though because that way you're sure to find appropriate food and won't have to worry about either breaking the law or keeping food safe.

beachchick

Archived