Transatlantic in April

vcdarty

I'm sure this has been an overworked thread, but apologies, and here goes: we're thinking the west-bound crossing in April would suit our plans. How rough might we expect the seas to be? How much time might we be able to spend, comfortably, on deck? Any comments most welcome. (Just back from a Celebrity cruise, Baltimore-Nassau, and three sea days were mighty bouncy!) Thanks for listening.

I'm sure this has been an overworked thread, but apologies, and here goes: we're thinking the west-bound crossing in April would suit our plans. How rough might we expect the seas to be? How much time might we be able to spend, comfortably, on deck? Any comments most welcome. (Just back from a Celebrity cruise, Baltimore-Nassau, and three sea days were mighty bouncy!) Thanks for listening.

I have no idea , except that the spring crossing is east bound, if that matters. FT, and numerous others report that the west bound fall crossings are usually very smooth.

I think if you scroll down a bit or go back a page you can find the thread with the link to the blogs for the east bound crossings. Knowing someone who was on SD II's spring crossing this year, they did encounter a bit of bad weather which limited time on deck for several days. Spring weather is reported to be a bit more iffy than that of the fall crossing. Having said that, since I only have done the fall crossings, I can't speak first hand of spring seas.

FT

Since it is quiet this morning I did a quick search and found ...

Here is a trip report on the spring '09 crossing on SD2 ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=993873&highlight=spring+crossing

Here are photos from the spring '09 crossing on SD1 ...

http://www.sd1europebound2009.webs.com/index.htm

This will be our first SD cruise. Does anyone have access to a list of the "all in" wines? Should one plan to take a laptop or is the connection fee the same for one of the on board computers? Are blazers and ties at dinner for men really outre? Is it naive to hope for fresh oysters on the first couple of nights out? Thank you so much for any information on these points. We are really looking forward to the experience --we've about had it with mass cruising.

This will be our first SD cruise. Does anyone have access to a list of the "all in" wines? Should one plan to take a laptop or is the connection fee the same for one of the on board computers? Are blazers and ties at dinner for men really outre? Is it naive to hope for fresh oysters on the first couple of nights out? Thank you so much for any information on these points. We are really looking forward to the experience --we've about had it with mass cruising.

all in wines can change from voyage to voyage, based on stocking.

the $35.00 per day fees is for the computer in your room. you can pay for time on a card which will give you access to the internet via the computers in the library. that is on an hourly/minutes basis. Don't know about using a ship's computer in your room - for $35.00 a day, I'd rather have access to my own e-mail program and for security purposes I don't want any information on a computer I don't own.

You can dress up as much as you want at dinner. While on the crossings its been on its rare to see ties, blazers are much more common, occasionally, a tie will appear. The most you will get is a comment "how nice you look".

not naive at all to expect oysters. I know mussels at first day at sea lunch is a tradition that I love and plan my day around -- especially when Chef Josselin is on board. His white garlic sauce is to die for.

Enjoy. and if you get a chance, please post while on board.

FT

My DH never wore a tie to dinner. For him, it was either a Tommy Bahama-style shirt & slacks or slacks & a button-down shirt. Slacks & a polo shirt are acceptable, too. As for shoes, he'd alternate between closed-toe shoes & classy slip-on style sandals.

I'd definitely take my own laptop. I'm a blogging nerd, though. :)

Can't help with the oysters and complimentary wine list. Perhaps a call to SD would help. You could request oysters - I'd bet they'd deliver.

Congrats on your first SD voyage!

Archived