question regarding internet service

reddirtgirl

Hi!

I just got off the Star Princess last week. There is a $3.95 activation fee. After that, there are various choices. You can do a "pay as you go" which is 0.75 per minute or you can choose from a variety of packages. We got the $100 for 250 minutes package. There's also a package that's $175 for 500 minutes and another one that I'm not 100% sure of. If I recall correctly, it's $75 for 150 minutes.

Also, look on the Princess Patter the day you embark and look for a special offer. Usually it appears on the first day, but sometimes, it appears on the second day. It gives you extra minutes if you purchase a time package. For example, we purchased the $100 package and got an extra 30 minutes (so we got a total of 280 minutes).

I have no idea about the 3G stick. Perhaps someone else can answer your question.

I hope this info helps.

Gerbz ^__^

As a general rule you would pay about 40 to 50 cents per minute (depending on which package you purchase) for internet service that is, at best, slower than the old dial-up service we used to have years ago. You can expect to use more than 5 min of time to just log-on and get your e-mail.

Hank

we are on the star princess in april; we are first time cruisers and are curious about internet service on board; what is the cost for this service? Does anyone use the new 3G Sticks? Thanks!

If you are planning to use the ships computers, there is no access to any of the drives for the 3G sticks.

There are computers available in the Internet Cafe at the prices listed above. With these computers, you do not have access to any drives (hard disk, cd/dvd or any USB port. There are card readers for the photo memory stick, so you can upload pictures (and run up your unternet cost).

we are on the star princess in april; we are first time cruisers and are curious about internet service on board; what is the cost for this service? Does anyone use the new 3G Sticks? Thanks!
One thing to be aware of is that the ship (as do all cruiselines) uses a satellite service. Depending on the location of the ship and where it is in the satellite coverage area, there may or may not be Internet service. Sometimes, it's excrutiatingly slow, which frustrates many people. The more graphics-intensive sites you go to, the slower the service for everyone as you're using the finite amount of bandwidth. Even if you are using your own computer, it'll be like the "good old days" of dial-up modems.

Not sure what a 3G stick is, but if it uses cell phone service, check with your cell phone provider as to roaming costs. Plus, if you access the ship's cell phone service at sea, there's an additional charge (something like $2.50/min?) added on top of that. Perhaps someone who knows more about the 3G stick can clarify or add to this.

Archived