Poof Goes my Hawaiian-Which Alt Cruise Would You Pick?

keishashadow

Currently have NCL POA booked for this summer, unfortunately; it appears as the only time the mr can get off work this summer is last week of July for exactly 7 nights, not 8 or 9 as the norm...grrrr! Still a faint chance, not likely though.

This not only rules out Hawaii:(but a 7 day for us (as Im antsy about flying in the same day of sailing due to issues we had in the past)...leaving me with one 6 day & two five days to select, all within $500 for balcony (jr suite on the Inspiration) or 3 or 4 day out of Port Canaveral combined with timeshare stay @ WDW.

Any thoughts on one of the following standing out? None of the intineraries really thrill me & haven't sailed on any of the ships before. Also, we're more about the ports than sea days, not much wiggle room on short cruise it appears.;)

1) Inspiration out of Tampa, Jr Suite (5 day to Grand Cayman & Cozumel)

2) Destiny out of Miami, Balcony (5 day to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau)

3) Freedom out of FL, Balcony (some extened ones left) to Key West, Grand Cayman & Jamaica

Also, could do a 3 or 4 night on Sensation out of Port Canaveral for approx $1K+ less; yet didn't really want to tromp around the parks in the summer heat.:rolleyes:

All thoughts welcome...

btw, i priced out DCL Wonder 5 night & stopped when lowest cat inside was nearly $4k:eek:gulp!

Currently have NCL POA booked for this summer, unfortunately; it appears as the only time the mr can get off work this summer is last week of July for exactly 7 nights, not 8 or 9 as the norm...grrrr! Still a faint chance, not likely though.

This not only rules out Hawaii:(but a 7 day for us (as Im antsy about flying in the same day of sailing due to issues we had in the past)...leaving me with one 6 day & two five days to select, all within $500 for balcony (jr suite on the Inspiration) or 3 or 4 day out of Port Canaveral combined with timeshare stay @ WDW.

Any thoughts on one of the following standing out? None of the intineraries really thrill me & haven't sailed on any of the ships before. Also, we're more about the ports than sea days, not much wiggle room on short cruise it appears.;)

1) Inspiration out of Tampa, Jr Suite (5 day to Grand Cayman & Cozumel)

3) Freedom out of FL, Balcony (some extened ones left) to Key West, Grand Cayman & Jamaica

Also, could do a 3 or 4 night on Sensation out of Port Canaveral for approx $1K+ less; yet didn't really want to tromp around the parks in the summer heat.:rolleyes:

All thoughts welcome...

btw, i priced out DCL Wonder 5 night & stopped when lowest cat inside was nearly $4k:eek:gulp!

Stay home and wait a year when he can get the time off and do what you want instead of settling for something a bunch of strangers on a public message board tell you.Any one who has sailed on the ships you listed will suggest it because they were on it.If you really want a ship opinion,try RCCL and do a real nice short cruise instead of a decent cruise on the Walmart:) of the sea's cruiseline.

Steve

Stay home and wait a year when he can get the time off and do what you want instead of settling for something a bunch of strangers on a public message board tell you.Any one who has sailed on the ships you listed will suggest it because they were on it.If you really want a ship opinion,try RCCL and do a real nice short cruise instead of a decent cruise on the Walmart:) of the sea's cruiseline.

Steve

staying home is not an option;), for our mental health/what i call early retirement travel; we take at least 2 trips a year...just going to be shorter ones this year.

i was hoping that those who have sailed several of the ships/visited the ports of call im unfamiliar with (key west, jamaica, grand turk) could put them in perspective for me. Everything i've learned about cruising has come from this board (or large portion thereof) and other than the cheerleaders for any particular line; have found most of the information of utmost value!

problem w/RCL for us is the 3rd person bedding and lack of balcony offering on the Monarch of Seas, don't want to spring for a suite.

It's hard to turn my back on military/past guest rates w/Carnival, we were very satisfied with our sailing aboard the Legend:)

staying home is not an option;), for our mental health/what i call early retirement travel; we take at least 2 trips a year...just going to be shorter ones this year.

i was hoping that those who have sailed several of the ships/visited the ports of call im unfamiliar with (key west, jamaica, grand turk) could put them in perspective for me. Everything i've learned about cruising has come from this board (or large portion thereof) and other than the cheerleaders for any particular line; have found most of the information of utmost value!

problem w/RCL for us is the 3rd person bedding and lack of balcony offering on the Monarch of Seas, don't want to spring for a suite.

It's hard to turn my back on military/past guest rates w/Carnival, we were very satisfied with our sailing aboard the Legend:)

If it was me, I would go with the Inspiration as I like the Fantasy class floowed by a close second with the Freedom (while the Conquest class is not my favorite, I like 3 ports) The Destiny does not get the best reviews all the time, so I would be less likely to chose that one. Also, I think it is much easier to travel out of Tampa than Miami.

I think Key West is a fun stop. It is great for shopping. It is also fun to take the trolly around and get on and off for Margaritaville, the southern most point, Butterfly museum etc, Hemmingway house etc. If you are young (in age or in heart) Key West is just a fun place to be.

I have only been to Jamaica as a land based trip - about 20 years ago. It was rough then, and it doens't appear to be much better. That said, it is a beautiful place. If I travel here via cruise ship, I would stick with a ship sponsored tour (stay away from the touristy places like Dunn River Falls) or go to the beach through an AI.

Grand Turk is one of our favorite ports. It is owned by the cruise line, so has a nice, clean, albeit commerical shopping "village" as you get off the ship. It has a nice beach right by the pier. But if you don't mind a walk, to your right about a mile, you will find the most beautiful sandy white point. We also booked a snorkel trip through the cruise line here (it was a surprise stop, so I was unprepared what to do). It was the best snorkeling I have had out of 10+ trips. I would go back to Grand Turk in a heartbeat.

Half Moon Caye is the private island, and a huge draw for me...but again, perhaps offset by Jamaica - I would probably chose another cruise to go there.

Hope that helps.

Keishashadow,

We've sailed to each of the ports you mentioned and Half Moon Cay takes the trophy for Favorite of all ports. Destiny Eastern would be my choice. :)

Steve

Steve,

You don't even listen to and heed your own advice, so why would others?

1980 CCL Carnivale' date='1981 CCL [b']Holiday[/b],1983 CCL Festival,1988 Big Red Boat, Oceanic,1993 RCCL Nordic Empress,1994 CCL Ecstasy,1996 CCL Inspiration,1997 CCL Destiny,1998 CCL Fantasy,1999 Princess ,Grand Princess,1999 NCL Norway,2000 CCL Imagination,2001 CCL Victory,2002 CCL Jubilee,2002 RCCL Voyager of the sea's,2003 CCL Pride,2003 RCCL Explorer of the seas,2004 CCL Conquest,2004 CCL Destiny,2005 CCL Miracle,2006 RCCL Majesty of the seas,2006 NCL Jewel,2007 CCL Imagination,2008 CCL Glory,2009 NCL Jewel

Next up! CCL Freedom 5/2010

Thank u all, now i know why i couldn't find info re grand turk in guidebook i was looking at;)

we are beachy/snorkel types, so the Destiny with Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay is inticing, balcony is $500 less than others too; would pay for nice excursion or two

Freedom looks nice to me, has gotten some sour grapes here lately, think it may be a blip on the radar due to holiday crush itineraries?

Agree that Tampa is a joy to sail from & we could sneak in 2 days beforehand in Orlando

Least i have some better info to help me decide now.:)Time to compare airfare before final decision.

Steve,

You don't even listen to and heed your own advice, so why would others?

I'm sorry,I don't understand what you mean?:confused:

My last 5 cruises, 3 were non CCL. Next up is a free CCL Freedom cruise. All my past cruises were free thanks to points.

I have sailed 2 of the 3 ships OP asked about and I have done all the ports OP asked about.

OP has done CCL,Disney,and NCL and is not thrilled with their choices so I suggested RCCL.

STeve:D

I'm sorry,I don't understand what you mean?:confused:

My last 5 cruises, 3 were non CCL. Next up is a free CCL Freedom cruise. All my past cruises were free thanks to points.

I have sailed 2 of the 3 ships OP asked about and I have done all the ports OP asked about.

OP has done CCL,Disney,and NCL and is not thrilled with their choices so I suggested RCCL.

STeve:D

hard to compare to hawaiian itinerary;), as a replacement; was hoping to do Victory out of SJU or the Liberty's sim itinerary; but it won't fit time allocated...so im looking for the next best thing.

imo, DCL's shorter itin's are lame (other than Castaway Cay, it's all about the service for me, still not willing to pay more than two other cruises worth this time around)

NCL was amazing to Alaska too, although i thought the service & food quality far below what we experienced on the Carnival Legend...which leads me back to wanting to book Carnival again.:)

hard to compare to hawaiian itinerary;), as a replacement; was hoping to do Victory out of SJU or the Liberty's sim itinerary; but it won't fit time allocated...so im looking for the next best thing.

imo, DCL's shorter itin's are lame (other than Castaway Cay, it's all about the service for me, still not willing to pay more than two other cruises worth this time around)

NCL was amazing to Alaska too, although i thought the service & food quality far below what we experienced on the Carnival Legend...which leads me back to wanting to book Carnival again.:)

Thats so funny. We sailed the NCL Jewel again because it was one of the better cruises we took in a while:).10 day cruise also helps.:D

It shows how peoples opinions are so different even when some are on the same cruise.

Short cruises are tough itinerary wise. I personally would get insurance and fly in the same day just to do the 7 day.

Steve

Isn't there a way to beg, borrow, or steal the extra couple of days that you would need? With this much advance notice, is there really no chance?

We have a POA cruise around Hawaii planned this summer. Just got back from the bookstore and found the exact cruise in a book - each stop is detailed and it talks about the ship as well. Since NCL is the only game in town, that is of course the line they focus on.

Isn't there a way to beg, borrow, or steal the extra couple of days that you would need? With this much advance notice, is there really no chance?

We have a POA cruise around Hawaii planned this summer. Just got back from the bookstore and found the exact cruise in a book - each stop is detailed and it talks about the ship as well. Since NCL is the only game in town, that is of course the line they focus on.

unless mr can sweet-talk one of the RIPs @ work;)to trade the week preceeding the last week in July everybody has to take...nope. Chances of that are slim @ best.

I believe i bought the same book! The POA really has a fantastic itinerary, we have an aft balcony booked (sigh) @ such a low military rate vs where it's hovering now. I'll just rebook it for 2011 during the fall/spring, my youngest will be in college then & we won't have to pay the 3rd person rate lol.

re flying in the same day, we had quite the scare flying to seattle last summer for NCL cruise. Due to weather issues originating in FL, then up the east coast; all the flights were delayed a good 5 hours. We had booked an early afternoon flight connecting midway (no direct to SEA from PIT). We didn't land in to SEA until 5 am PST! I had called the TI broker (insuremytrip) and even though the flight was delayed long enough wherein we could file a claim & rebook...there were NO seats to be had on any flight out that day or the next that would get us to port on time. :rolleyes:So stressful & this was arriving the day before, i'd never chance it same day.:o

We have sailed Destiny 3 times- once post dry dock and despite "its age" still a favorite ship. The itinerary looks great and gets my vote. - we have sailed cat 11 suites on her, but last time did a shorter cruise and a LIDO balcony-talk about convenience and now our choice if not a suite.

If you look at deck plans as you come from pool and go thru doors directly as enter it is not shown on deck plans but there are tight metal doors across from cabins 9214 & 9217 - great location-so quiet cabins range from 9214 thru 9197. We had cabin 9201. Our tablemates had a room 9185 and said Lido music funnels right down center and to elevator area- so avoid those near elevator.

I did Destiny last year different ports. I liked Destiny suited all our needs just fine. We only do inside rooms though. Our only other ship we had sailed was the Imagination pre and post dry dock. We liked that one as well. This year will be Liberty. So I dont have much to compare as far as ships go. I had zero complaints about the ship. Maybe if I read back to my review there may of been something but looking back at this point we had a great time so no lasting faults!

We have done the HMC, Grand Turk and Nassua before. I loved it, kinda. I am a sea day person so this did make me feel more rushed going to 3 ports in 5 days. But on the flip side HMC was wonderful we did get a cabana and relaxed all day. I love love love HMC. GT we exited the ship and grabbed a chair on the beach. This was almost 3 years ago so the port ws not all the way finished. We did enjoy the beach there. Water was wonderful and the sun felt great. Another relaxing day!! In Nassua we used Stewarts cove and snorkeled in 3 spots. Our last stop was with reef sharks :eek:. I really liked the snorkeling it was the best I have ever seen. Granted I have not snorkeled much. I would do it again in a heart beat. They where so good to use on the trip. They even taught my little buy who was 7 to snorkel before this he was afraid to get in the water. When we reached the Shark stop guess who wanted to be first in!

This year we are going back to HMC and GT and very excited about this! I still plan to relax at GT the kids are riding the flowrider. Maybe a drink or two from Buffets place. HMC I do want to explore the island a bit more. We might pass up the cabana. Just so I dont "feel" like I need to be near it to enjoy it.

Either way you will choose a great vacation anytime away is better than a day at home!!

I feel your pain about only being able to be off 7 days. I typically take the friday before the cruise off as drive time but work will no longer allow an extra day off even though I have time. So we are driving from TN to Port Canaveral friday night after I get off. We will be exhausted Sat morning for our cruise but at least it's an option for us. Good luck deciding what to do. Is there no chance of a Sun-Sun cruise or would be have to work 1 of those Sundays?

yep at least one sunday unfortunately, even if we drive all night wouldn't work for us, approx 25 hr drive

im putting the destiny, freedom & liberty (that sails on Sat) on our bucket list

thank you all for your help, much appreciated!!! now, im armed & dangerous lol

• 2 weeks later...
We have sailed Destiny 3 times- once post dry dock and despite "its age" still a favorite ship. The itinerary looks great and gets my vote. - we have sailed cat 11 suites on her, but last time did a shorter cruise and a LIDO balcony-talk about convenience and now our choice if not a suite.

If you look at deck plans as you come from pool and go thru doors directly as enter it is not shown on deck plans but there are tight metal doors across from cabins 9214 & 9217 - great location-so quiet cabins range from 9214 thru 9197. We had cabin 9201. Our tablemates had a room 9185 and said Lido music funnels right down center and to elevator area- so avoid those near elevator.

we booked the last Lido balcony that would fit our party:), thanx for the head's up...come on July!

Archived