Trap shooting!

It seems so funny to think about now. I remember on my first cruise, Celebrity in 97, standing along the aft railing. Two security officers ran the show, handed me a Remington 870 12 gauge pump w/ the magazine full of shells. One took care of launching the clays, the other kept an eye on me. "pull" - bang, "pull" - bang, "pull" -bang, you get the idea. I think they charged a buck a shot. Somehow I don't think this activity will ever be re-visited in our current times. ;)

It is actually called skeet shooting and it is because of enviromental concerns that it is no longer allowed. It would be a bit hard to retrive the broken disc. My dad did enjoy it on our '99 cruise on the also ended Big Red Boat.

No actually, it is called trap shooting, and the discs are made of natural clay....just sayin

I stand corrected sir but they are listed together. The difference if I understand is the number of place for the targets to come from.

No actually, it is called trap shooting, and the discs are made of natural clay....just sayin

I stand corrected sir but they are listed together. The difference if I understand is the number of place for the targets to come from.

As stated it is an environmental issue that if I am not mistaken made both trap shooting and the driving of golf balls illegal in 1999. ResidenSea and others have started allowing driving golf balls off the ship but the balls are special rawhyde balls that aren't cheap.

As stated it is an environmental issue that if I am not mistaken made both trap shooting and the driving of golf balls illegal in 1999. ResidenSea and others have started allowing driving golf balls off the ship but the balls are special rawhyde balls that aren't cheap.

Certainly "closer" to trap however we were never allowed to move our shooting positions to different "stations". Probably a good thing as I recall there were some scary "barrel swingers" there :eek:. Interesting thing about clays - about 65% limestone, 35% asphalt pitch (old days), petroleum pitch (new days) for a binder and a little paint so you can see them. Environmental issues yes, but I'll bet the lead shot was more of an influence. That lead shot as well as fishing weights are still a huge problem for a lot of wildlife, especially for the eagle. So to any readers, please no more lead!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
this was one of my husbands favorite thing to do on cruise ships. he really misses it, isnt there some way they can do this???

If he really misses it, he can do it on land. There are lots of places where this activity is available. I am glad it isn't offered on ships anymore.

Guns in the hands of passengers on a ship nowadays? LOL....no, don't think so....

• 2 weeks later...
Certainly "closer" to trap however we were never allowed to move our shooting positions to different "stations". Probably a good thing as I recall there were some scary "barrel swingers" there :eek:. Interesting thing about clays - about 65% limestone, 35% asphalt pitch (old days), petroleum pitch (new days) for a binder and a little paint so you can see them. Environmental issues yes, but I'll bet the lead shot was more of an influence. That lead shot as well as fishing weights are still a huge problem for a lot of wildlife, especially for the eagle. So to any readers, please no more lead!

Almost all shotgun shells in the US have been made with Steel for the past decade plus because of environmental concerns with lead poisoning water/wildlife. Most of the other brands are either tungsten of bismouth. Trap shooting is usually from a fixed position where in skeet you shoot pigions in one position, then move to the next postion, 8 stations in total. I think the concern with trap on ships was more with fire arms being used by inexperienced cruisers than with environmental concerns. I love shooting trap and skeet, but am glad they no longer allow it on cruise lines.

Almost all shotgun shells in the US have been made with Steel for the past decade plus because of environmental concerns with lead poisoning water/wildlife. Most of the other brands are either tungsten of bismouth. Trap shooting is usually from a fixed position where in skeet you shoot pigions in one position, then move to the next postion, 8 stations in total. I think the concern with trap on ships was more with fire arms being used by inexperienced cruisers than with environmental concerns. I love shooting trap and skeet, but am glad they no longer allow it on cruise lines.

The wadding in nearly every shotgun shell - regardless of where it is made - is plastic.

That plastic wadding usually flies about 50 feet when you fire the shotgun.

In most cases it ends up in the water.

The US Coast Guard threatens a $5,000 fine for every instance that the tiniest piece of plastic hits the ocean.

The cruise lines just won't take that chance.

Actually as someone who shoots trap almost weekly I can tell you the environmental issues are mostly a concern of lead shot and plastic. Even on land based clubs we've had to deal with this. You can get steel shot, biodegradable clay pigeons, and even biodegradable wadding for shells which are fiber or cardboard based, there is also the brand: ECOWAD, which makes a plastic one that is supposed to degrade.

Its not cheap to do, but it can be done so that environmental issues are reduced.

Actually as someone who shoots trap almost weekly I can tell you the environmental issues are mostly a concern of lead shot and plastic. Even on land based clubs we've had to deal with this. You can get steel shot, biodegradable clay pigeons, and even biodegradable wadding for shells which are fiber or cardboard based, there is also the brand: ECOWAD, which makes a plastic one that is supposed to degrade.

Its not cheap to do, but it can be done so that environmental issues are reduced.

We do a lot of shooting around here and have been switching to some of the new eco friendly material for our reloads..

I'm personally of the opinion that the environmental 'harm' is extremely exaggerated in many of these cases, but its a lot easier to target small groups like shooters than all the people walking around with and buying plastic water bottles..

But still, when given a fair choice with reasonable costs I tend to be more of a conservationist at heart..

The wadding in nearly every shotgun shell - regardless of where it is made - is plastic.

That plastic wadding usually flies about 50 feet when you fire the shotgun.

In most cases it ends up in the water.

The US Coast Guard threatens a $5,000 fine for every instance that the tiniest piece of plastic hits the ocean.

The cruise lines just won't take that chance.

The US Coast Guard has no jurisdiction over non-US vessels that are in International waters.

Hi all.

Back in 1975, week of 5/22-5/29, I took my first cruise on the Oceanic.

At the time, I was an avid trap shooter and was looking forward to trying it on the ship.

If I remember correctly, it was only on one morning, and early.

I missed it as I slept later than I had planned to. :o

The US Coast Guard has no jurisdiction over non-US vessels that are in International waters.

Actually the US Coast Guard and the US Navy claim that they have jurisdiction over any ship carrying American Passengers anywhere on the "High Seas".

That pretty much covers about 99% of the 300 or so international cruise vessels on planet earth.

You might tell this to the drug smugglers and Cuban escapees who have been apprehended by the US Coast Guard in International waters.

They might need your legal advice for their upcoming trials.

Archived