Would we like the Spirit?

Duff Man

We are considering booking an owner's suite on the Spirit. While we prefer the newer Jewel class ships (although we have been on the Star and, gulp, the Dawn), the dates and itinerary we are looking at are a good fit. Would we be dissapointed on the "older" and "smaller" ship? (although you may know we are easy to please!).

TIA,

DM

:)

We prefer Spirit to Jewel and Jade. Sophisticated Asian decor, with little of the Jewel-class glitz. Lots of open deck space at the stern, not just balconied staterooms. Attractive atrium in the ship's center. Teak promenade deck. Staterooms are slightly smaller, however, and can't speak to the size of suites. Suites tend to be more expensive, because there are so few of them. We're booked on Spirit again next fall for her Boston to NOLA reposition.

We are considering booking an owner's suite on the Spirit. While we prefer the newer Jewel class ships (although we have been on the Star and, gulp, the Dawn), the dates and itinerary we are looking at are a good fit. Would we be dissapointed on the "older" and "smaller" ship? (although you may know we are easy to please!).

TIA,

DM

:)

We were on the Spirit in Sept. 2007. It is a beautiful ship. The only problem we had was with the size of the chairs. My DH is a big guy and felt like he was sitting in kiddie furniture in the public areas. I think the ship was designed for Japanese market and purchased second-hand by NCL.

As I recall, there are not as many speciality restaurants as the rest of the fleet. We did have an awesome sushi dinner one night for a bargain $10 upcharge.

If you're mainly concerned about size and age, I really don't think you'd notice much difference. The Spirit is not all that much smaller. As you're walking from one end of the ship to the other, as it seems you must often do, it still seems very long. It was refurbished in 2008 (we were on before that and I didn't think it looked 'old' then).

I haven't been on the Star or Dawn so I can't specifically compare to them, but we have been on both the Spirit and the Pearl. I've heard that the cabins are smaller than some; we were in a handicapped room, balcony, but it was larger than the other's of the same level. I don't know about the owner's suite.

It has the NCL special restaurants, main dining rooms, Blue Lagoon and buffet as do the other larger ships. Although I don't think it was designed for the additional restaurants, it works well unlike the NCL Wind (now departed) where everything seemed to be squeezed in.

As I recall, there are not as many speciality restaurants as the rest of the fleet. We did have an awesome sushi dinner one night for a bargain $10 upcharge.

Spirit does not have a Tex-Mex restaurant and the Italian restaurant is a curtained-off part of the buffet. It does have Cagney's, Bistro, Asian, sushi, Teppanyaki, Blue Lagoon, Bier Garten for wurst, German beers, etc., and also serves an Indian dinner once or twice each week. Plenty of choices.

We have sailed on both classes multiple times. Like both, but probably Jewel class a bit more. Still, you notice in our signature, we are doing the Spirit again in the spring.

As to owners suite. We have been in those at the back of the ship. Nice, but the AB (?) - the ones of the side of this ship towards the front are by far much nicer in my opinion.

While the size of the cabins are a bit smaller than the cabins in newer ships, they aren't that much smaller. While I don't know the exact size of the cabins, I would think that most of the balconies are in the vicinity of 20 feet in length and 9 feet wide, or 180 square feet. When you see a cabin listed as being smaller,a cabin one foot less in width would be 160 square feet. An inside cabin may not be as long, if an inside was 18 feet long instead of 20 feet with the same 9 foot width, it would be 160 square feet.

I understand we see the one foot difference in size with our eyes between 10 feet and nine feet, not many of us see the one foot difference in size between 19 and 20 feet. Frankly, I don't miss the one foot difference in space. My bed fits, the table fits, the couch fits, the closet fits, and the bath room fits easily in a smaller cabin...

If a smaller cabin provides a fare 5 per cent less than others, I will book the slightly smaller cabin...

The former Majesty had inside cabins of 108 square feet. As far as I am concerned a cabin in the vicinity of 150-160 square feet is adequate...

The former Majesty had inside cabins of 108 square feet. As far as I am concerned a cabin in the vicinity of 150-160 square feet is adequate...

We can vouch for the small size of the Majesty cabin. We sailed on her when she was still the Royal Majesty (just before NCL bought her and stretched the middle)--WOW, was that a tiny outside cabin. :eek:

Will be sailing on the Spirit in May, anxious to compare her to the other ships we've sailed on. So far, most info. on her we've gathered has been pretty positive.

Duffman, I was on the Spirit a few years ago and she is in my opinion the prettiest ship! I did notice a smaller size but not enough to have it damper anything...actually, it became more of a "ooooooh, I think I like this" feeling. I also remember looking at some of the suites (think they were forward) before I got off the ship and they all had different names to them. The decor was beautiful and each one looked different. Good luck on your decision!

coka

We have been on the Majesty twice, Dawn twice, Dream once, and Spirit twice. My DW loves the Spirit and considers it is her favorite NCL ship. The Atrium area, promenade deck, and the aft amphitheater area are some of the favorite areas in this ship. We love the layout of the ship and the decor. We plan to be on her again in the future.

We will be on the Pearl in August and it is our first time on a Jewel class ship so who knows, she may have a new favorite after that.

I have sailed in both the owner's suite and the aft penthouse on the Spirit. I much preferred the Penthouse. It is a little smaller, but all the space is usable. The owner's suite had a separate dining room, very small and closed in. I considered it wasted space. I also preferred the bathroom in the Penthouse. The toilet area in the owner's suite felt very exposed. On the aft the balconies are very narrow-about 4 foot, but the view is wonderful. The ship is beautiful!

We have cruised the Wind, Spirit and Gem. We are anxiously awaiting our next Spirit sailing next October.

We cruised in an AD (aft) suite on the Spirit and loved it. The spirit AD's are significantly larger than the AEs and ADs on the Jewel class. I didn't get a look at the Owner's suite on the Spirit. They probably aren't quite as large as the AAs on the Jewel class but they do have that great stern view.

For what it's worth, we were told on Spirit that she was the most expensive of all current NCL ships to build. She was built for Star cruises as the Superstar Leo, and later transferred to NCL by Star.

Her sister ship is the Superstar Virgo sailing mostly out of Singapore.

I have sailed in both the owner's suite and the aft penthouse on the Spirit. I much preferred the Penthouse. It is a little smaller, but all the space is usable. The owner's suite had a separate dining room, very small and closed in. I considered it wasted space. I also preferred the bathroom in the Penthouse. The toilet area in the owner's suite felt very exposed. On the aft the balconies are very narrow-about 4 foot, but the view is wonderful. The ship is beautiful!

On the Jewel class, we actually prefer the ACs at the front of the ship. On the Spirit, we would probably do on of the AB's up front before we did an aft AD. Thanks for the input.

We were on the Spirit in Sept. 2007. It is a beautiful ship. The only problem we had was with the size of the chairs. My DH is a big guy and felt like he was sitting in kiddie furniture in the public areas. I think the ship was designed for Japanese market and purchased second-hand by NCL.

The Norwegian Spirit was built by the Meyerwerft Shipyard in Papenburg Germany for Star Cruises as the Superstar Leo. Star Cruises based the Leo in Hong Kong for almost five years. Therefore, the ship was designed to accommodate mostly Chinese passengers, not Japanese.

In 2004, NCL (a subsidiary company owned by Star Cruises) was planning to launch Pride of America. However, just prior to completion, the vessel partially sank at dock when a storm hit the Lloyd Werft shipyards in Hamburg, Germany. To meet the already booked cruises for Pride of America, SuperStar Leo was transferred to the NCL fleet, and after only two weeks of refits, emerged as Norwegian Spirit.

The Norwegian Spirit sailed the Norwegian Sun's Alaska cruises that summer. Meanwhile, the Norwegian Sun was also refurbished into the Pride of Aloha, and it sailed the Pride of America's Hawaii cruises. NCL was eager to start NCL America's Hawaii cruises that year.

The Norwegian Spirit has experienced two more drydocks since 2004, each time the ship has been refurbished further to make it accommodate American passengers better.

Here's common dimensions for chairs built for American sized adults.

Seat height 16"-18"

And for chairs built for American sized children

Ages 1 to 4 10"-12"

Ages 5 to 7 12"-14"

Ages 8 to 10 13"-17"

Ages 11 to 13 15"-18"

Source: http://www.woodbin.com/ref/furniture/chairs.htm

I just don't believe the seat heights on the chairs aboard the Spirit as less than 16 inches. Whereas they may not be at the maximum of 18 inches, I wouldn't go so far and say they don't meet American specifications.

In my home:

The seat height of my dining table chairs are 17 inches.

The seat height of my living room sofa is 17.5 inches before sitting on it.

The seat height of my commuter table chair is 17 inches.

Would someone aboard the Spirit measure the seat height of some of the chairs?

I never felt the chairs on the Spirit were low. Instead of implying our feelings, lets get a measurement. Seat heights can be measured.

Seat height 16"-18"

Ages 1 to 4 10"-12"

Ages 5 to 7 12"-14"

Ages 8 to 10 13"-17"

Ages 11 to 13 15"-18"

I just don't believe the seat heights on the chairs aboard the Spirit as less than 16 inches. Whereas they may not be at the maximum of 18 inches, I wouldn't go so far and say they don't meet American specifications.

Perhaps the expressed concern was with width, not height.

The Norwegian Spirit was built by the Meyerwerft Shipyard in Papenburg Germany for Star Cruises as the Superstar Leo. Star Cruises based the Leo in Hong Kong for almost five years. Therefore, the ship was designed to accommodate mostly Chinese passengers, not Japanese.

In 2004, NCL (a subsidiary company owned by Star Cruises) was planning to launch Pride of America. However, just prior to completion, the vessel partially sank at dock when a storm hit the Lloyd Werft shipyards in Hamburg, Germany. To meet the already booked cruises for Pride of America, SuperStar Leo was transferred to the NCL fleet, and after only two weeks of refits, emerged as Norwegian Spirit.

The Norwegian Spirit sailed the Norwegian Sun's Alaska cruises that summer. Meanwhile, the Norwegian Sun was also refurbished into the Pride of Aloha, and it sailed the Pride of America's Hawaii cruises. NCL was eager to start NCL America's Hawaii cruises that year.

The Norwegian Spirit has experienced two more drydocks since 2004, each time the ship has been refurbished further to make it accommodate American passengers better.

Seat height 16"-18"

Ages 1 to 4 10"-12"

Ages 5 to 7 12"-14"

Ages 8 to 10 13"-17"

Ages 11 to 13 15"-18"

In my home:

The seat height of my dining table chairs are 17 inches.

The seat height of my living room sofa is 17.5 inches before sitting on it.

The seat height of my commuter table chair is 17 inches.

Would someone aboard the Spirit measure the seat height of some of the chairs?

I never felt the chairs on the Spirit were low. Instead of implying our feelings, lets get a measurement. Seat heights can be measured.

Electicron, it was the Sun's near sister the Sky which was replaced by the Leo/Spirit and the Pride of Aloha was the Sky renamed. Otherwise the rest is correct...

On the Jewel class, we actually prefer the ACs at the front of the ship. On the Spirit, we would probably do on of the AB's up front before we did an aft AD. Thanks for the input.

If you go with an AB on the Spirit you may want to choose a corner one. It has a forward and a side balcony. The layout is a bit different that the three center ones.

I have been reading that the bathrooms on the Spirit have the sink outside of the shower area? (I mean like separate from the bathroom itself) Is that true in all cabins? We sail in Feb in an inside cabin. Does anyone have any photo's showing how the bathroom is laid out? it's hard to tell on the ships cabin layout.

Thanks in advance.:)

Archived