LeHarve to Cherbourg by boat?

mary_228

This may seem like a crazy question, but I'll ask anyway. I really would like to see Utah Beach which is the farthest from the port where our ship docks. I understand that it is a 2 1/4 hr drive each way by private car. Looking at a map of the area, it would seem that ferries might make the trip between these ports. Is anyone aware of this option? Seeing as we LOVE to travel by ship :D

invasion-beaches-france-map.jpg.ba18cd7ad2164fd990d43c3cf7d4ecbd.jpg Here is a map of the landing beaches and it is clear to me that Utah is the closest to Cherbourg. My guide told me it would be 2 1/4 hours each way from LeHavre. My FIL also landed at this beach, hence the interest. Unfortunately, there is only one cruise ship (Queen Victoria) calling at Cherbourg in 2010 and the price is considerably higher than our Crown Princess sailing, or else I'd consider switching.

We went on a great tour last year from LeHavre - began at Utah; took in all of the beaches and then a stop at the American Cemetery before going back to the ship. Cherbourg is closer in miles, but usually the ships are docked for a longer time in LeHavre (since so many people go to Paris) so it gives you a longer day to really see the beaches. We've used an excellent tour guide there - British historian - and no, I'm not at all part of the company or a relative of their's - but let me know if you want the info. I've recommended them for 2 years and everyone who's taken the tour has found it unforgetable - in a good way.

• 2 months later...
[ATTACH]142349[/ATTACH] Here is a map of the landing beaches and it is clear to me that Utah is the closest to Cherbourg. My guide told me it would be 2 1/4 hours each way from LeHavre. My FIL also landed at this beach, hence the interest. Unfortunately, there is only one cruise ship (Queen Victoria) calling at Cherbourg in 2010 and the price is considerably higher than our Crown Princess sailing, or else I'd consider switching.

The Celebrity Eclipse oct. 31 sailing has a stop in Cherbourg. It's a TA, so the price is fantastic. Check it out on the X webiste.

Even if there were a ferry, by the time you caught it, rode it and found transportation on the Cherbourg side you would have eaten up most if not all of the time to drive from Le Havre to Utah Beach. Great idea but not practical I am afraid.

This may seem like a crazy question, but I'll ask anyway. I really would like to see Utah Beach which is the farthest from the port where our ship docks. I understand that it is a 2 1/4 hr drive each way by private car. Looking at a map of the area, it would seem that ferries might make the trip between these ports. Is anyone aware of this option? Seeing as we LOVE to travel by ship :D

Hi Mary,

Errrr, the only ferries Le Havre to Cherbourg would be via Portsmouth :p

Trust me, road is the only way to travel.

Yes, Utah is the closest D-Day beach to Cherbourg, about a 45 min drive.

But a number of cruise ships dock there, might be worth digging a little deeper.

But you could certainly cover Utah & its museum, plus other D-Day sights, from Le Havre - port time in Le Havre tends to be generous, do you know the times?

The map you quote is diagrammatic rather than accurate - Utah extends west to Ravenouville-Plage, just halfway between Madeleine and Quineville, at the other end Sword extends only to Ouistreham. This one is rather more accurate http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/19/48219-004-668C428F.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/971461/40772/Map-of-Utah-Beach-on-D-Day-June-6-1944&h=390&w=480&sz=72&tbnid=U2Uwy3iDUBVKOM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dutah%2Bbeach%2Bmap&hl=en&usg=__H42XVn6K4Nu-nf4HUQL4l_x3sds=&ei=uR65S5e4GJqy0gTgvbUv&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAgQ9QEwAA

You can drive the Utah beachfront road from end to end.

John Bull

Archived