Snorkeling & Beach Break- Which Private Operator?

trtllovr

If I had more time I would have done some snorkeling around the mangrove trees. There really wasn't anything in the line of reef system or even spot corals heads near the island, but it was hard to tell because the water was a bit cloudy. I did see some needle fish hanging around so i'm sure if you went snorkeling you'd be able to see something cool!

Thanks, if you didn't see any dark areas to indicate structure or a reef I'm going to guess there probably wasn't much to see around there. I am weighing a couple of the ship snorkel excursions so I will try to do some more research on some of the others. Thank you again for the info! :)

Jessie

Something that trtllovr didn't mention was that the sand that was used to create Bannister Island is VERY coarse sand made from ground up shells - beautiful to look at, lovely white, but not so easy on the feet. The water on the windward side of the island was very rough and stirred up due to high winds, and it was still so windy that few people were in the water. Those that did go in said to wear water shoes - one gal cut her foot on a shell, and others complained of rough sand and rocks. That being said, it's a very pretty place, and probably drop dead gorgeous in calmer conditions. Snorkeling would be fun and interesting, even without reef - there's almost always something around to see. Unfortunately, it was too rough for us to snorkel, and we only had about an hour anyway. We'll just have to try it again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and prior to our trip, I was really struggling with which tour operator to choose from. It wasn't so much a matter of price, but more a matter of timing. It seemed like the snorkel & beach breaks with all of the tour groups were just too short. In addition, I've never been too wild about snorkeling in big groups (read: fins in face).

Fortunately about 2 weeks prior to our sail date, I came across a private operator that was highly recommended on trip advisor, and I found a few references for him on this board as well. The private operator's name is Ivar Marchand (pbuay@yahoo dot com) and I was able to book a private excursion with him (i.e. just our family of 5). The cost of the excursion ws $75/pp, and let me say that it was worth it!

We were supposed to meet Ivar at the pier at 8:15, but the tendering situation was a mess (took 50 mins just to get onto a tender) so we were about 40 mins late in meeting him. No problem! Ivar said he knew we'd be there, we still had loads of time, and this was our day...we weren't tied to any set schedule. What a relief!!!

He had chartered a boat for us, gotten our fins & masks, and we took off around 9:15. We were originally going to go snorkeling first and then to Bannister, but he suggested that we hang out on Bannister for a little while as it was low tide and the snorkeling would be a little murky. On the way, he gave us a little history/background on Belize. We hung out on Bannister for about 60 mins and then got back on the boat to head out to the reef. He was a great guide (explained the various corals, pointed out a number of cool things) and was definitely safety conscious. The snorkeling was a little difficult because of high winds and choppy water that day, but Ivar was really great and very enthusiastic about what we were seeing. The guy is just terrific - fun, easy going, and the kids just loved him. After 90 mins of snorkeling, we climbed back on board and the "captain" of the boat had fresh pineapple, bananas and chips and salsa waiting for us. Ivar had also packed a cooler with water, juice, sodas and beer.

After snorkeling, we went back to Bannister and swam, napped, read, and played cards. Ivar was at the ready with beer in hand. It was just so relaxing. Ivar suggested that we could leave a little earlier to try and see the manatees or go shopping, or we could just stay on the island until we were ready to go. We were so relaxed and chose to stay on the island. Other groups arrived at Bannister after we did and only had about 60 mins on the island. I would have been so bummed out!!! Around 3:15, we decided we should head back and hopped back on the boat for the 15 min ride back to port.

We had a super day with Ivar, appreciated his knowledge and fun-loving attitude, and were so happy that we had a full, yet relaxing tour that day. I absolutely feel that the $75/pp we paid for a full-day, flexible, and private tour was well worth it!

I realize this may be a lot more info than some people are looking for, but just felt that it was important to let others know that there are other options out there!

We just returned from our cruise and prior to our trip, I was really struggling with which tour operator to choose from. It wasn't so much a matter of price, but more a matter of timing. It seemed like the snorkel & beach breaks with all of the tour groups were just too short. In addition, I've never been too wild about snorkeling in big groups (read: fins in face).

Fortunately about 2 weeks prior to our sail date, I came across a private operator that was highly recommended on trip advisor, and I found a few references for him on this board as well. The private operator's name is Ivar Marchand (pbuay@yahoo dot com) and I was able to book a private excursion with him (i.e. just our family of 5). The cost of the excursion ws $75/pp, and let me say that it was worth it!

We were supposed to meet Ivar at the pier at 8:15, but the tendering situation was a mess (took 50 mins just to get onto a tender) so we were about 40 mins late in meeting him. No problem! Ivar said he knew we'd be there, we still had loads of time, and this was our day...we weren't tied to any set schedule. What a relief!!!

He had chartered a boat for us, gotten our fins & masks, and we took off around 9:15. We were originally going to go snorkeling first and then to Bannister, but he suggested that we hang out on Bannister for a little while as it was low tide and the snorkeling would be a little murky. On the way, he gave us a little history/background on Belize. We hung out on Bannister for about 60 mins and then got back on the boat to head out to the reef. He was a great guide (explained the various corals, pointed out a number of cool things) and was definitely safety conscious. The snorkeling was a little difficult because of high winds and choppy water that day, but Ivar was really great and very enthusiastic about what we were seeing. The guy is just terrific - fun, easy going, and the kids just loved him. After 90 mins of snorkeling, we climbed back on board and the "captain" of the boat had fresh pineapple, bananas and chips and salsa waiting for us. Ivar had also packed a cooler with water, juice, sodas and beer.

After snorkeling, we went back to Bannister and swam, napped, read, and played cards. Ivar was at the ready with beer in hand. It was just so relaxing. Ivar suggested that we could leave a little earlier to try and see the manatees or go shopping, or we could just stay on the island until we were ready to go. We were so relaxed and chose to stay on the island. Other groups arrived at Bannister after we did and only had about 60 mins on the island. I would have been so bummed out!!! Around 3:15, we decided we should head back and hopped back on the boat for the 15 min ride back to port.

We had a super day with Ivar, appreciated his knowledge and fun-loving attitude, and were so happy that we had a full, yet relaxing tour that day. I absolutely feel that the $75/pp we paid for a full-day, flexible, and private tour was well worth it!

I realize this may be a lot more info than some people are looking for, but just felt that it was important to let others know that there are other options out there!

Good information thanks for your review! :)

• 1 month later...

This is a little late, but for future reference might be helpful. We got off the boat at the pier- no tendering. There were many tour operators available to promote themselves. We had intended to go to see the waterfalls. We spoke with someone from Happy Fish who told us that they hadn't had their rainy season yet and that the falls would be fairly dry and disappointing. He suggested a beach that was a 10 minute water taxi away and had food/drinking/wave runners/banana boats etc. We had several families in our group and the teens wanted to go there, so we changed our plans. He charged us $30 per person to take us there. Said the water taxi would stay with us until we were ready to leave.

We got there and discovered that there were no wave runners or banana boats and the water taxi left. We were lucky that we decided to return early because it took a while to get a water taxi back to pick up our large group. There was another group of people that got dropped of from the same company. Happy Fish told them that the $30 included food and drinks. You can imagine that they were not happy when they got their bar/food bill for $200.

The beach is a private beach and has volleyball, a trampoline, kayakes, chairs and a bar/restaurant. Service there is good and it costs $5 to enter the "park." A water taxi ride on your own is $6 round trip. Easy to do on your own.

When we got back to the pier we talked to the Board of Tourism rep (A very pleasant helpful man) and he called over the owner of Happy Fish. They had a discussion and the owner of Happy Fish agreed to refund us $5 each. It was at least something.

Friends of ours got a cab for the day for $100 and their driver took them all over to see the sights. They had a wonderful day. And guess what- they said the falls were beautiful!

Thanks BeachChica. Wanted to get this info out but every time I searched the boards for Guatemala it kept giving me this thread. I read through and didn't see anything, but thought maybe I missed something, so went ahead and posted. Not much info out there on Guatemala- which is why I thought it was important, 'cause had there been earlier info we would have had recommendations and wouldn't have fallen prey. I guess someone's gotta take one for the team. :)

Thanks BeachChica. Wanted to get this info out but every time I searched the boards for Guatemala it kept giving me this thread. I read through and didn't see anything, but thought maybe I missed something, so went ahead and posted. Not much info out there on Guatemala- which is why I thought it was important, 'cause had there been earlier info we would have had recommendations and wouldn't have fallen prey. I guess someone's gotta take one for the team. :)

Its unfortunate about what happen to you for sure! But that's what is great about CC, others can learn from your experience and you can learn from others too. Its a wealth of information from fellow cruisers!

Was just in Belize Dec 31 on Carnival Valor. I opted for

Carnivals' excursion to Geoff's Caye. Reason: tendering is a hassel, and this one is longer than others (grand caymen, etc)....this excursion picked us up on the boat and we took off directly from there to the Caye..so instead of getting onto a tender, we got directly onto the excursion boat. Also, must watch your port call time to see if excursion works for you. Also, be aware of "ships time" vs "local time" so you make your independent excursions.

You MUST snorkel in Belize....it's the place to do it!

I did the same on two previous cruises, and for the same reason. The boat, a double decker, was crowded. However, because the reef completely surrounded the islands, the snorkeling wasn't affected.

Here are a couple pix of Rendezvous Caye.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552120505VGqCka

I did the same on two previous cruises, and for the same reason. The boat, a double decker, was crowded. However, because the reef completely surrounded the islands, the snorkeling wasn't affected.

Here are a couple pix of Rendezvous Caye.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552120505VGqCka

Wow stevesan - great pc of Rendezvous Caye! Such a little island - did you guys get to get out and spend the day there? How was the snorkeling?

We just went on the "Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe with Beach Break" with Carnival. We were really torn on what to do in Belize because we've been so many times and already done all of the main things in Belize.

This tour was Ok. Definitely nice to not have to tender into Belize City! We took the later excursion 1:00pm - 4:30pm which was nice because you didn't feel like you had to rush off the ship, it was warmer out, and the sun directly above typcially makes for better snorkeling.

Here are my thoughts on this tour:

(1) I was a little disappointed with the boat... the tour info boasts a 65 foot catamaran. I guess we were on one but it looked more like a snorkel boat than a catamaran. It was also pretty crowded, which I guess is to be expected with cruise ship tours (they already had people on it from another Carnival ship when we got on it)

(2) Snorkeling at the reef was Ok. There was definitely some coral, juvenile fish and things to see but more for the beginner snorkeler. We only snorkeled in 6 feet of water! (I did not have high expections for the snorkeling on this tour so I would say this met my expections). What was bad was that everyone had to stay together so you could not get away from fins in your face!!! Not matter how much you tried!!! It was terrible! :(

(3) The beach break was nice, we went to Bannister. Definitely a man-made island surrounded by mangrove trees. It was protected by the wind and a nice place to spend the day relaxing on chairs etc. There is absolutely no snorkeling here (nothing to see) so if you go its just a place to relax. Also, we were only there for about an hour so it felt very rushed. I don't even think I sat on my chair. One trip walking around the small island to explore and it was time to go.

Jessie

Wow stevesan - great pc of Rendezvous Caye! Such a little island - did you guys get to get out and spend the day there? How was the snorkeling?

Pert near everone snorkeled from and around the island until time to return to the boat. It docks near the beach in shalllow water. You don't even have to swim to/from.

Most of the islands are quite small. some snorkel trips feature Redezvous Caye. Here's a picture:

http://www.1adventure.com/archives/000140.html

Pert near everone snorkeled from and around the island until time to return to the boat. It docks near the beach in shalllow water. You don't even have to swim to/from.

Most of the islands are quite small. some snorkel trips feature Redezvous Caye. Here's a picture:

http://www.1adventure.com/archives/000140.html

I wasn't sure I ever wanted to return to Belize after our disappointing last trip. Your pictures have changed my mind. Now I know somewhere I would enjoy going if I ever go back. Thanks for posting.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='mysparky'] I've never been too wild about snorkeling in big groups (read: fins in face).

Fortunately about 2 weeks prior to our sail date, I came across a private operator that was highly recommended on trip advisor, [/quote]

Thanks for the information... just what I'm looking for ;)

We had a group of 9 from the Glory in May and we got off the tender and decided to go with Fab tours. The island was nice, the snorkelling was good, but we were cutting it close to get back to make it to our tender and we asked when we were on the island if we could leave earlier, never really got an answer, but ended up waiting for our turn to leave, ran out of gas on the way back (of course they don't tell you what is happening) and we had 15 minutes to make it back to our last tender.

I am usually a very calm person, but I was rather stressed out, another boat came to get us and we did make it back (there was a long line for the tender, thank goodness), but it was rather hairy!!

• 1 year later...

Archived