CDG Connection time?

fllchick

I'm cruising out of Venice in September and I"m starting to look at flights from Florida. My best option is a flight that connects in Paris, but I've only heard horror stories about how awful it is to connect at CDG. We would have an hour and 40 minutes......is that enough time for us and our luggage to make our connecting flight to Venice?

Thank you!!

I'm cruising out of Venice in September and I"m starting to look at flights from Florida. My best option is a flight that connects in Paris, but I've only heard horror stories about how awful it is to connect at CDG. We would have an hour and 40 minutes......is that enough time for us and our luggage to make our connecting flight to Venice? Thank you!!

It is probable that your de Gaulle air connection will work out. Most likely it will!

BUT, the two biggest questions/variables are . . . about what airline you are using . . . AND . . . weather/arrival time. The Paris airport is big and confusing. They are "guilty as charged", but it can work out. If you are using one airline and transferring to another flight with that same or a sister firm, then you might be moving a short distance within one part of the same terminal. What terminal you come in at and then go out of makes the big difference. Weather is hard to predict, including tail winds that can get your flight in early or on time. And, if they depart from your U.S. city on schedule. Are you flying Delta or American? Have you talked with them?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Personally I wouldn't count on it. Allow 2 hours, minimum, and then be grateful if your baggage gets to the same plane as you. CDG is spread out and changing terminals is a hassle there. Add to that you are coming in from Venice, therefore you are in Schengen. You are going to Florida, so you are leaving Schengen. You will have to clear Immigration before geting to your FL flight. there can be long queues.

Actually, the CDG connection is only on the way to Venice....on the way home we can get a flight from Venice to JFK and on to Miami.

The Miami to CDG flight and CDG to Venice flights would both be on Air France (using delta miles!).

If we don't take this flight, then we're stuck with 2 connections instead of just 1......dilemma.......

Personally I wouldn't count on it. Allow 2 hours, minimum, and then be grateful if your baggage gets to the same plane as you. CDG is spread out and changing terminals is a hassle there. Add to that you are coming in from Venice, therefore you are in Schengen. You are going to Florida, so you are leaving Schengen. You will have to clear Immigration before geting to your FL flight. there can be long queues.

So sorry, but what is Schengen?

Actually, the CDG connection is only on the way to Venice....on the way home we can get a flight from Venice to JFK and on to Miami.

The Miami to CDG flight and CDG to Venice flights would both be on Air France (using delta miles!).

If we don't take this flight, then we're stuck with 2 connections instead of just 1......dilemma.......

Doing your flights with Delta/Air France should help improve your odds. Talk to them on the phone AND check their website to see what specific terminals and gates those current flight numbers are scheduled to arrive and depart at de Gaulle. That's not an iron-clad guarantee, but it helps give you a better sense of what will happen later this year.

If you take the connection, have a Plan B. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but CDG just takes a long time to transit. Your plane will often park on the tarmac and you'll have to be bussed to the terminal (perhaps if you are really on an Air France flight that won't be the case, but I wouldn't count on it), and that takes time. Transiting the terminals takes a lot of time, and if you have to go through security screening again, that is also a bottleneck.

If I were you, I'd research what the next available flight is that you could get on. Hopefully you're planning on arriving a day or two in advance of your sailing?

If you take the connection, have a Plan B. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but CDG just takes a long time to transit. Your plane will often park on the tarmac and you'll have to be bussed to the terminal (perhaps if you are really on an Air France flight that won't be the case, but I wouldn't count on it), and that takes time. Transiting the terminals takes a lot of time, and if you have to go through security screening again, that is also a bottleneck. If I were you, I'd research what the next available flight is that you could get on. Hopefully you're planning on arriving a day or two in advance of your sailing?

Cynthia and others raise valid "REALITIES" about de Gaulle. Are you planning to be in Venice for a full day or two before your cruise? I hope you are not planning to arrive in Venice mid-day and then sail that evening. That's bad-bad, plus missing a chance to enjoy one of my (and others) most favorite cities in the world. What's your timing? What does Air France/Delta say about how many added flights they have after your scheduled one from de Gaulle to Venice? As questioned by another "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?"

I'm cruising out of Venice in September and I"m starting to look at flights from Florida. My best option is a flight that connects in Paris, but I've only heard horror stories about how awful it is to connect at CDG. We would have an hour and 40 minutes......is that enough time for us and our luggage to make our connecting flight to Venice?

Thank you!!

Check this website from Air France. It will show you the terminal where you arrive and where you depart. And how you get to there. Looks like you will arrive at 2E and depart from 2F. Assuming no delays in leaving, you should not have a problem. (credit for the map goes to Flyer Talk as he, to the best of my knowledge, was the first one who posted it).

Are you flying business class.

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/transverse/frame/genericIFrameAuto.htm?url=http://correspondances-aeroports.airfrance.fr/index_EN.php&BV_SessionID=oKDIEAox1ec1cMEm8WFg2L1&BV_EngineID=140ufmpoa

Check this website from Air France. It will show you the terminal where you arrive and where you depart. And how you get to there. Looks like you will arrive at 2E and depart from 2F. Assuming no delays in leaving, you should not have a problem. (credit for the map goes to Flyer Talk as he, to the best of my knowledge, was the first one who posted it).

Are you flying business class.

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/transverse/frame/genericIFrameAuto.htm?url=http://correspondances-aeroports.airfrance.fr/index_EN.php&BV_SessionID=oKDIEAox1ec1cMEm8WFg2L1&BV_EngineID=140ufmpoa

While it may sound easy, it rarely is. ;) 2E and 2F are big concourses and it isn't always possible to go directly from one to the other. On a couple of memorable occasions I've been offloaded onto a shuttle that runs around outside the airport, and whatever terminal I need always seems to be the last stop.

Although this post isn't recent, you might want to read it -- it's entertaining in its variety of responses as to how passengers got routed through CDG when basically all were headed to the same point:

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=6602

Perfect question for me as we have used Air France the last 5 years as it's our preferred international flight.carrier from SFO

I have also flown out of Venice 2x using Air France.

You will not make that connection

Let me set the scene for you..

If you did make it, every single step and stage will have be executed with Swiss precision. I love the French and France, but they are not Swiss.

Lets assume you are on time (not likely)

you will land and then the plane begins disembarking, you will then all catch a shuttle from the tarmac to take you to the terminal, those shuttles don't leave until they are full...

tick tock tick tock goes the clock

You then need to go through Passport Control because you are officially leaving the EU

there will be a line

tick tock tick tock

You will have at least 1 level of security to go through, maybe more...

all flights are funneled through one line

Tick tock tick tock

You will then need to get to the International terminal...

They are BIG terminals

The flight begins the boarding process 45 minutes prior AT LEAST from departure because you have to go down to repeat the whole bus scenario below the gate which is couple flights of stairs, pick up the bus on the tarmac and then drive out to the plane.

Who knows where your luggage is.

If you are huffing and puffing and look like you are going to pass out and die because you ran for your flight they can deny you boarding..

So this is what we have done

out of Venice and it has worked perfectly

Take the 8pm flight out of Venice, force an overnight at CDG, you can stay at the Hotel Ibis in Terminal 3 AT THE AIRPORT, it should be under 70 euros for the room with an internet special..they have a breakfast restuarant there that opens around 530am. the little fast food cheapo cafe is open to midnights with beverages and quick self serve meals..

and of course because you are in France there is a free baquette included

Wake up the next morning and the walk to the Air France counter is less than 15 minutes.

Exhale...

This will also give you a full day to explore Venice...

yes, you will have to store your luggage. I have know

people to contact hotels and offer them money for this convenience. just think outside of the box. Not sure if the train station has luggage storage at this point with security issues, you might want to check into that.

oh shoot! i can't edit ...

I just realized you are GOING INTO VENICE, not leaving

it still stands...

You won't make the flight....

You will land on tarmac, take the bus to terminal, have to go through passport control, at least 2 levels of security, head to another

terminal, be there in time for boarding, go down for the bus, then travel to the plane...

honest, you won't

next suggestion ...

take what I said and force an overnight in Paris

if you stay at the Hotel Ibis..it's right in front of the RER station you can be at the Eiffel Tour with a croissant in your hand in 25 minutes

The next morning head to Venice.....

Never ever fly into a port the day of your cruise

WOW!! I knew my fellow CC'ers would provide good info!

We are flying in to Venice the day before the cruise (I agree.....I would never fly in the day of), but I still really don't want to deal with this mess.

I'll look for Plan B.

Thanks so much for the advice!! :)

I hate to wear out my welcome, but how much time would be reasonable for a connection at CDG?

Thanks again!

I always look for a connection time in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 hours. IMHO, even 2 hours is sometimes not enough. There've been times when I've had a 2.5 hour connection and barely had time to stop into a bathroom before boarding my flight.

WOW!! I knew my fellow CC'ers would provide good info!

We are flying in to Venice the day before the cruise (I agree.....I would never fly in the day of), but I still really don't want to deal with this mess.

I'll look for Plan B.

Thanks so much for the advice!! :)

I would suggest you go to the cruise air site and post your question to Flyer Talker. He is highly knowledgeable about air travel issues, especially Paris. I would certainly defer to his opinion. When we were transferring through Paris I had visions of a nightmare after reading all of the horror stories posted on boards.

But I followed Flyer Talker's advice and our connections in Paris were quick, painless and smooth. If he says you need more time, you probably do. If he says you can make, you most likely can, barring delays in leaving Miami. He could also recommend a good plan B.

I always look for a connection time in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 hours. IMHO, even 2 hours is sometimes not enough. There've been times when I've had a 2.5 hour connection and barely had time to stop into a bathroom before boarding my flight.

Totally agree...

I've had res agents insist that anything less is a legal connection

and it is...... ON PAPER

but on the ground reality of it all...

if you make that connection..go buy a lottery ticket, because you've got lots of luck in your aura that day! :D

I would certainly agree with most of the posters. We had a connection time of 2 hours 10 minutes. I really did my homework. I went on the CDG website and plotted our path. I contacted the airlines and they said "no problem, you will even have time for a cup of coffee". HA!!!

In reality, we were moved from terminal to terminal by bus, waiting each time. We went through many security stops. When you ask an employee of the airport for directions, they look like they want to kill you and just wave you along or give you some unreliable info. ( The signage is pitiful, by the way)

We barely made our connection, after literally running from point A to B, and our Terminals were supposed to be connected with "a ten minute walk" between. Maybe with a jetpack attached to your heels.

Allow at least 2 1/2 hours to feel confident. I would rather have quintuplets naturally followed by root canal than use this airport again!

Amy

Archived