Sun Refurb 10/2010- What will happen

lvcruises

Does anyone know what else might be done to the Sun during those 2 weeks she is in Drydock?

My DH and I are looking at the Oct 16, 2010 because we want to go back to Belize. Some of the recent reviews on the Sun haven't been very good so I'm hoping they will be sprucing her up a bit.

Does anyone know what else might be done to the Sun during those 2 weeks she is in Drydock?

My DH and I are looking at the Oct 16, 2010 because we want to go back to Belize. Some of the recent reviews on the Sun haven't been very good so I'm hoping they will be sprucing her up a bit.

I don't know exactly, but you can usually count on a good "sprucing up." I also believe it is what you make of it!

That said, I also have a personal interest - I'm on the 10/16 Western Caribbean Cruise... Come join us (and the roll call!)

If I find out anything specific, I'll post it.

I don't know exactly, but you can usually count on a good "sprucing up." I also believe it is what you make of it!

That said, I also have a personal interest - I'm on the 10/16 Western Caribbean Cruise... Come join us (and the roll call!)

If I find out anything specific, I'll post it.

Thanks... I already checked out the roll call. OS already taken and so early.. Which one? :D. I'm hoping they will be offering an OBC soon, then we will book.

Thanks... I already checked out the roll call. OS already taken and so early.. Which one? :D. I'm hoping they will be offering an OBC soon, then we will book.

We're in OS 1003 - port... the other one was just booked within the last couple of days - I found out because I was checking for price reductions. There is a credit being offered for suites when booking 9 months in advance - we got that... I think it was $300. Regardless, I found the Sun pricing was really good. Per reading some of these boards, it seems a lot of people seem to really like the aft suites... even prefer them over the OS's. The hot tub is what I'm after though! :cool:

Usually they do major cleaning and work on any engine problems etc that is needed, I guess like getting your car tuned up or what we used to do, get the car tuned. There will be changes on linens etc if needed, the pools will be drained and cleaned, etc.

As for the reviews recently, actually most have still been very positive, you are always going to get those who would rather let us know how bad things were. Heck I remember one time, not too long ago when someone reported NCL didn't want us to eat in the buffet. His/her reasoning, the tongs were so tight you couldn't get any food.. That person carried on for about a paragraph about this..

Nita

They will finally take the time to clean all of that nasty Norovirus from the ship that got 35% of the people sick on one sailing. :D

PE<---please notice tongue is firmly planted in his cheek...

Thanks and good morning to you. I thought I was up early!!!

Nita

Usually they do major cleaning and work on any engine problems etc that is needed, I guess like getting your car tuned up or what we used to do, get the car tuned. There will be changes on linens etc if needed, the pools will be drained and cleaned, etc.

As for the reviews recently, actually most have still been very positive, you are always going to get those who would rather let us know how bad things were. Heck I remember one time, not too long ago when someone reported NCL didn't want us to eat in the buffet. His/her reasoning, the tongs were so tight you couldn't get any food.. That person carried on for about a paragraph about this..

Nita

You are correct about the reviews. I try to take a look at them all and pick out what is useful... information that isn't on a personal level because some people are never happy. Try to keep those things in mind so that I can either bring stuff with me that people find you might need and plan for other stuff in advance so that I'm not taken by surprise... If you know what mean. Like the whole reservation.. if people would just read the boards they would know what to expect and how to use the system to fit your needs. Instead they don't do their home work and then complain about it.

PE - i was looking at your webshots page for the AE mini suite on the Sun. The rooms look alot bigger than the mini suites on the Pearl. Can you confirm or deny this? We had a mini on the Pearl last year and it was a fine size for 2. What was your room # on the Sun?

PE - i was looking at your webshots page for the AE mini suite on the Sun. The rooms look alot bigger than the mini suites on the Pearl. Can you confirm or deny this? We had a mini on the Pearl last year and it was a fine size for 2. What was your room # on the Sun?

The mini's on the Sun are a bit bigger than the Pearl. Which pictures were you looking at? I have one set from a regular mini and one set from an aft mini. The aft has a better use of space for the bed and sitting area and appears to be a lot bigger but it is not.

The truly best thing about the Sun mini's compared to the Jewel class ships is the closet/bath area.

PE

My biggest complaint about the Jewel, which I am assuming will be the same on the Pearl is the size of the cabins period. I love the cabins on the Sun. We haven't had a mini suite but had a balcony all 3 times.

Nita

The mini's on the Sun are a bit bigger than the Pearl. Which pictures were you looking at? I have one set from a regular mini and one set from an aft mini. The aft has a better use of space for the bed and sitting area and appears to be a lot bigger but it is not.

The truly best thing about the Sun mini's compared to the Jewel class ships is the closet/bath area.

PE

I looked at both, but it was the Aft mini that seems so much bigger. Figures there isn't any of those available on the Oct 16, 2010 sailing:(

Some of the recent reviews on the Sun haven't been very good so I'm hoping they will be sprucing her up a bit.

My recollection is that most of those were written by people who became sick or felt they were in some way inconvenienced (e.g., having to be served in the buffet) by the fact that others were sick. A perceived lack of communications about the alleged virus outbreak was a common complaint.

One person on that much-maligned cruise wrote this: "However, my DH and I were fortunate that we remained healthy and really enjoyed what I considered to be a unique and memorable experience on a fine ship." If someone can feel that way about the cruise, I'm not sure why anyone couldn't. We were down with noro on a Dream trans-Atlantic and it was no fun, but we enjoyed every "well" day and didn't let the virus ruin our trip or our opinion of Dream, which we happily sailed again to Alaska shortly thereafter.

I looked at both, but it was the Aft mini that seems so much bigger. Figures there isn't any of those available on the Oct 16, 2010 sailing:(

Aft cabins are usually the first to sell out on all ships no matter the line. People for whatever reason just love the aft cabins. We had that one and did not really see what peole loved about them. The view never changes.

PE

We're in OS 1003 - port... the other one was just booked within the last couple of days - I found out because I was checking for price reductions. There is a credit being offered for suites when booking 9 months in advance - we got that... I think it was $300. Regardless, I found the Sun pricing was really good. Per reading some of these boards, it seems a lot of people seem to really like the aft suites... even prefer them over the OS's. The hot tub is what I'm after though! :cool:

I was in OS 1003 in November 09 from San Francisco to Valparaiso. The suite is very nice, but I hope you're not a light sleeper! For the entire 19-days of our cruise, I was unable to get to sleep until 1:00 AM because due to thumping dance music one floor above in the Observation Lounge. We had Roel as the butler - awful. The concierge (Karin) was very pleasant, we just didn't find much use for her.

The hot tub was our reason for booking the OS - just be careful not to scratch yourself on the jets at the bottom of the tub!

Nita

Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope.:D

My recollection is that most of those were written by people who became sick or felt they were in some way inconvenienced (e.g., having to be served in the buffet) by the fact that others were sick. A perceived lack of communications about the alleged virus outbreak was a common complaint.

One person on that much-maligned cruise wrote this: "However, my DH and I were fortunate that we remained healthy and really enjoyed what I considered to be a unique and memorable experience on a fine ship." If someone can feel that way about the cruise, I'm not sure why anyone couldn't. We were down with noro on a Dream trans-Atlantic and it was no fun, but we enjoyed every "well" day and didn't let the virus ruin our trip or our opinion of Dream, which we happily sailed again to Alaska shortly thereafter.

I have nothing to add except we've booked an AFT or Stern balcony (BD deck 9) for a B2B in November.. Got a great price and OBC but we booked last May. I'm excited about the dry dock!!

The reason I quote Sotto is I wanted to ask you if your ID has any meaning. Feel free to tell me it's "none my biz" if you are so lead. :p

The reason I quote Sotto is I wanted to ask you if your ID has any meaning. Feel free to tell me it's "none my biz" if you are so lead. :p

From Wikipedia:

Sotto voce (Italian pronunciation: [ˈsotːo ˈvotʃe], literally "under voice") means to speak under one's breath. In music, a dramatic lowering of the vocal or instrumental tone — not necessarily pianissimo, but with a hushed quality. An example of Sotto voce is in the Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem Mass in D Minor. The singers lower their volume in order to attain the 'hushed' quality desired.

We are booked for the Dec. 11 sailing to western caribbean. Looking forward to sailing on the Sun!

I know this is changing the subject a bit....I notice you say you want to go back to Belize? We have not been there....what do you recommend doing there? If you don't mind....I will also be checking out the ports of call boards too! Thanks!

From Wikipedia:

Sotto voce (Italian pronunciation: [ˈsotːo ˈvotʃe], literally "under voice") means to speak under one's breath. In music, a dramatic lowering of the vocal or instrumental tone — not necessarily pianissimo, but with a hushed quality. An example of Sotto voce is in the Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem Mass in D Minor. The singers lower their volume in order to attain the 'hushed' quality desired.

Thanks! That's what I thought... <cough>

My mom's half Italian.. I didn't think they had a "hushed" anything!! LOL

I appreciate your answer.

We enjoyed the Sun very much a few years ago for our 18 day Panama Canal cruise so we are trusting that the drydocking will bring her into tiptop condition. We are taking the 10/3 12 night ta cruise right after her drydock and staying aboard for the 10/16 Caribbean so that we can re-visit Belize as well as see a new port for us in Guatemala.

I think you'd be fine in booking the 10/16 cruise.

One person on that much-maligned cruise wrote this: "However, my DH and I were fortunate that we remained healthy and really enjoyed what I considered to be a unique and memorable experience on a fine ship."

Okay, admittedly this is a rather random thought, but yeah, I read that review, and the "unique and memorable" part reminded me of this, one of my favorite winners of the Edward Bulwer-Lytton Bad Fiction Contest, the 1985 winner submitted by Martha Simpson of Connecticut:

The countdown had stalled at T minus 69 seconds when Desiree, the first female ape to go up in space, winked at me slyly and pouted her thick, rubbery lips unmistakably--the first of many such advances during what would prove to be the longest, and most memorable, space voyage of my career.

InThe

I was in OS 1003 in November 09 from San Francisco to Valparaiso. The suite is very nice, but I hope you're not a light sleeper! For the entire 19-days of our cruise, I was unable to get to sleep until 1:00 AM because due to thumping dance music one floor above in the Observation Lounge. We had Roel as the butler - awful. The concierge (Karin) was very pleasant, we just didn't find much use for her.

The hot tub was our reason for booking the OS - just be careful not to scratch yourself on the jets at the bottom of the tub!

You have me laughing. I have heard that about the noise upstairs and ook it into consideration when we booked... I think (hopefully - I will let you know) we should be OK... good sleepers, especially at sea. I do appreciate the info and will watch to see who the butler is!

Archived