Cruising from Baltimore

tnthudson

Hello,

First time poster on this site...

Actually I have been on ONE cruise, for business (believe it or not), but it was a short 3-day cruise and we worked through most of it. Not the most fun.

SO I'm going on my first "fun" cruise with my wife and another couple. No one wants to fly to Miami, and since we're in Virginia, it's been decided that they want to leave from Baltimore. In late June.

So that basically narrows us to Carnival Pride or the Royal Caribbean ship in Baltimore, BUT since money is somewhat of a concern, it looks like we're headed towards the Carnival Pride.

I guess my question is: is this a good plan? I think we're stuck to Baltimore or Norfolk, and the best deal/availability right now seems to be the Pride.

And, as first time cruisers, we want this as least complicated as possible.

We're pretty easy to please...we would like a balcony room for each couple, and want to have fun...willing to do excursions, etc.

Any tips/advice/warnings would be GREATLY appreciated.

And thanks for a great forum.

Oh, yeah! June will be fine! It's the winter that wastes a couple days in the cold (leaving and returning to cold-weather ports)....not worth it, IMO.

Bring binoculars....especially for the trip in and out of Baltimore---there's alot to see!

Do some research on your ports (a guidebook is the best investment!!!) so you'll know all about each place, what to do, how to get there, what it costs....and then you can determine if you need to purchase expensive excursions!

Get a cruise brochure from Carnival (or whatever line you choose) and have those deck plans in front of you when booking! You should know what you're paying for!

Then, enjoy!!!

My girlfriend and I cruised out of Baltimore to the Bahamas in mid-December on the Carnival Pride. I agree that cruising out of Baltimore in warmer weather is preferable, but we got a great price for a balcony cabin, and there were few kids on-board to run a muck! :D Within one day at sea, we were in warmer weather and able to sun ourselves on our balcony or on one of the upper decks! Actually, the embarkation site, Baltimore, was one of the main reasons we booked this cruise. My girlfriend and I live outside of Washington, DC, and are tired of the hassle, stress, and anxiety of flying. We thought, and rightfully so, that we could reduce our stress levels by sailing out of Baltimore to avoid flying to Miami or Fort Lauderdale to board our ship. So, instead of spending hundreds of dollars and countless hours flying to Florida, we only had to drive about 45 minutes to Baltimore to arrive at our ship! The embarkation process was efficient and organized. The cruise terminal is located less than 200 yards off Interstate 95. There is convenient onsite parking at the terminal for more than 1,500 cars and, for $15 a day, you can park your car in the secure lot. After you drop off your luggage prior to parking, a shuttle bus will meet you at your parked car and transport you to the cruise terminal building. While the registration line was long, it moved relatively quickly and we boarded the ship about 25 minutes after we entered the cruise terminal. For this cruise to the Bahamas, we needed picture identification and the cruise documents. All in all, this was a great cruise and the Carnival Pride is a GREAT ship! I plan to provide a thorough review of the ship on Cruise Critic soon! Enjoy!!!

I think you'll love Baltimore. The port is very well organized and insanely easy to get to. Follow the signs off 95 into the parking area. The porters will stop you at the luggage carts and unload you checked luggage. Drive to the parking attendant who will take your fee, or direct you to the credit card people. ($105 for the week) You'll get a spot in a guarded lot and walk to the ship with your carry-on bag. Once in the terminal you need to do the security thing, and wait, briefly we hope, for check-in. You get a boarding number and take a seat. Depending on when you get there and if all the prior passengers are off, you shouldn't have too long of a wait. Once they call your number you walk up the gangway and start your adventure. Disembarbarking is just as simple but it's another thing for another post.

We loved Baltimore and enjoyed Pride.

Here's wishing you the best.

Archived