teenage boys - what to wear

smally

Hi We are going on our 1st cruise this summer (western Med with Royal caribbean) with our two boys who will be 14 and 12. For formal nights I imagine they will wear black trousers, shirt & tie but I don't know what to take for them for less formal evenings. Previously in hotels they have worn smart longer length shorts with either a short sleeved shirt or smart t shirt. I understand shorts may not be appropriate for the cruise (in the dining room) so what would they wear? Surely not jeans? I don't think they will want to wear smart black (school style) trousers every evening! What will be suitable? Help and advice needed!

Here is the actual RCCL Dress Guidelines

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

So, shorts are not appropriate for dinner. Jeans are okay.

T-Shirts are not appropriate.

Polos and collared shirts are okay.

I hope that helps you figure things out.;)

Hi We are going on our 1st cruise this summer (western Med with Royal caribbean) with our two boys who will be 14 and 12. For formal nights I imagine they will wear black trousers, shirt & tie but I don't know what to take for them for less formal evenings. Previously in hotels they have worn smart longer length shorts with either a short sleeved shirt or smart t shirt. I understand shorts may not be appropriate for the cruise (in the dining room) so what would they wear? Surely not jeans? I don't think they will want to wear smart black (school style) trousers every evening! What will be suitable? Help and advice needed!

Go buy them a pair of khaki pants and some polo's. If bought in the right size they can be extremely comfortable. If they are between sizes (many teens are) get the clothes tailored. Proper fitting dress clothes are actually comfortable. Maybe polo style shirts can be found in a very light weight material that feels just like a tshirt with a colar.

I think you're fine w/ the formal night.

For the non-formal nights my son (14) wears khaki-style pants (i.e. from the Gap - 1 pr black, 1 pr tan) and collared polo shirts. Those 2 prs of pants, plus the pants that he had for formal night were fine.

Immediately following dinner each night, my son dashes back to the room to get back into shorts & a t-shirt.

Our son was 15 on his first cruise, for most nights other than formal, he wore Khakis and a nice polo shirt. He would go back to the cabin and change back into shorts or jeans after dinner.

Archived