Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

PE<---Rah' date=' rah, rah, zis, boom, bah...[/color']

OK, I really have to correct you (never thought that would happen on this board)

The correct expression is:

Porky Pig, Porky Pig

Sis Boom Bah

Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

Rah Rah Rah

I'm going to post my opinion on this topic although it's hard for me to believe anyone would still be reading this thread six pages back.. LOL.

Until we were on the Dawn I used to not understand how such a "little" thing as the welcome aboard glass of champagne could mean so much to someone. Enough at least to talk about changing cruiselines. I have to say that now, in a way, I understand it.

For us, one of the perks we liked the most in booking a suite was the "daily snack" selection that you got to choose from. Now it is gone. For those that do not remember it was a little card you filled out either for the whole week or per day and it gave you a selection of snacks. Nothing major, mind you, just things like pretzels, chips, cookies, dried fruit and nuts, etc etc.

Would this one little thing make us change cruiselines? No. Did it disappoint us? Yes. It was one of the silly little perks we enjoyed the most. What it did for us more than anything else is leveled the playing field for other cruiselines. For us to look at other cruiselines when booking going forward. So slowly NCL has gone from our "without a question that is who we will book" to "now we will look at all cruiselines" when we book a cruise. Before these little meaningless changes we never looked at Carnival, Princess, RCCL, etc, when booking. We just pulled up NCL.com, looked at the cruise we wanted and booked it. Now that has changed.

So, you can say we are silly for that. You can say they are meaningless perks that we shouldn't think twice about. Yes, we can provide our own snacks if we want or need them. There is food available 24 hours a day onboard the ship so what's the big deal? The big deal is that it was something we looked forward to, and now it is gone. Other cruiselines are cutting back just as much as NCL we know. It is just for us NCL is losing the edge where they had us as a "happy captive" audience. Some people book completely from their head, some from their emotions. To me it is as simple as those who book using their heads will not be affected as they can always realize it is just cost cutting on the cruiselines part to keep fares low. Those of us who book with emotion will look at it differently.

John....

You are absolutely right about this. People don't understand the effectiveness of proper feedback (ie right time, right place, right tone). Complaining endlessly on a message board isn't going to work. As an example, I recall an NCL ship that decided they were no longer going to perform "fountains"...it is a great story about how customer feedback works.

Right John? ;)

Yup. Exactly. The right words to the right person at the right time.

It comes down to expectations

If someone EXPECTS a certain level of excitement on the crew's part upon FINALLY BOARDING THE BOAT because they did the last time- maybe even were looking forward to it- then its not there. Well, sadly that TINY bit of disappointment can feel more like a kick in the pants, as silly as that might sound. It kinda sets someone up to think, "Well what ELSE have they cut out".

YES we can all respect cost saving measures, etc etc etc- we are ALL tightening the belt. But I can certainly spend my carefully saved cash somewhere else if I dont think they appreciate my business. Keep the good business tactic and raise prices by $1. I just think it is a stupid move on their part.

I was served the bubbly for the CRUISEMAS last month and sure it was treated with some chemical that makes us want to drink an INSANE amount of liquor for 7 days ;). I drank mine AND my dh's and was READY FOR MORE. I am surprised to hear it has gone away.

Don't understand your confusion, but I'll try to walk you through it....

Not sure where the gun to my statement comes from but whatever. This statement came from me. I posted it. You quoted my statement in your post. I'm surprised you didn't realize where it came from.

I don't need to ignore the whole board You don't "need" to do anything...but if you are going to whine...just ignore...its easier because the cheerleader statement is only directed at the same posters who always, with exception, side with NCL on every issue real or exaggerated. You almost come across as saying that there is something wrong with supporting something you like. Do you think a person should not be allowed to be a "cheerleader" if they want?

So why do you think this was directed at you? Sorry, but I don't know why you thought that I assumed this was directed to me...I certainly never said or hinted at that. My statement was; "I assume you mean "cheerleaders" as a put-down to other people and their opinions" You'll notice that I said "other people" and "their" opinions....not "me and my" opinions. I never thought you were talking about me.

Hopefully, that helps with your confusion.

I read the other cruise boards too.

On Celebrity they always brag about how they're greeted with a glass of champagne, and that they're the only cruiseline that does it.

I always enjoyed informing them that NCL does too. Guess I can't do that anymore.

is profit driven. If NCL's 2009 profits fell by half, what do you think they're going to do? It's a foreign owned private company that has to compete with a monolith known as Carnival. Just like the airlines, they are cutting where they can, fuel, economic pressures and the like. NCL still is good value, far better than most. Let them know your displeasure. Tell it to the big honchos. They make the decisions, not us, the cruisers....:( Barb

6 pages of posts over losing a 50 cent glass of champagne????

I could understand folk being upset if NCL did something like eliminate all steaks from the MDRs. But over glass of cheap champagne????

No big deal to me.

Well I dont eat red meat but I drink like a fish!:o

Sometimes its the little things that get the fire started

OK, I figured out the reason they stopped the champagne. It is not the 50 cents per bottle. It is the 15 dollar corkage fee for each bottle that was wrecking their budget. They need to find out about rum-runners so they can reinstate the free champagne .

Must be a problem between acounting and operations.

All this over a welcome aboard drink? May god you would think the world is coming to an end. Hey everyone is cutting back from airlines, hotels, cruise lines and peoples own budgets! The only ones not cutting back there spending is the government... Now I am sure you can get all the free champaign you want in Washington.

I'm going to post my opinion on this topic although it's hard for me to believe anyone would still be reading this thread six pages back.. LOL.

Until we were on the Dawn I used to not understand how such a "little" thing as the welcome aboard glass of champagne could mean so much to someone. Enough at least to talk about changing cruiselines. I have to say that now, in a way, I understand it.

For us, one of the perks we liked the most in booking a suite was the "daily snack" selection that you got to choose from. Now it is gone. For those that do not remember it was a little card you filled out either for the whole week or per day and it gave you a selection of snacks. Nothing major, mind you, just things like pretzels, chips, cookies, dried fruit and nuts, etc etc.

Would this one little thing make us change cruiselines? No. Did it disappoint us? Yes. It was one of the silly little perks we enjoyed the most. What it did for us more than anything else is leveled the playing field for other cruiselines. For us to look at other cruiselines when booking going forward. So slowly NCL has gone from our "without a question that is who we will book" to "now we will look at all cruiselines" when we book a cruise. Before these little meaningless changes we never looked at Carnival, Princess, RCCL, etc, when booking. We just pulled up NCL.com, looked at the cruise we wanted and booked it. Now that has changed.

So, you can say we are silly for that. You can say they are meaningless perks that we shouldn't think twice about. Yes, we can provide our own snacks if we want or need them. There is food available 24 hours a day onboard the ship so what's the big deal? The big deal is that it was something we looked forward to, and now it is gone. Other cruiselines are cutting back just as much as NCL we know. It is just for us NCL is losing the edge where they had us as a "happy captive" audience. Some people book completely from their head, some from their emotions. To me it is as simple as those who book using their heads will not be affected as they can always realize it is just cost cutting on the cruiselines part to keep fares low. Those of us who book with emotion will look at it differently.

Well said, Terry...."looking forward" to things...having special (free) treats..(in my DH's case- expresso.)..is important and what makes a cruise special.... there have been numerous small "changes" (ie cost cutting measures ) over the last year,singularly not "deal breakers" by any means but the "changes" are starting to pile up..and to many a reason to consider changes of their own when booking....

Yes--we will sail NCL again...but will also consider others..we are consumers...looking for the best (price and ambiance) cruise in the market place.

I have to say, I am definitely going to miss the cappucchino machines...they were like that "extra little treat" that you looked forward to, and then it's taken away......I can live without the champagne, or the mints on the pillow, or the increase in Le Bistro (not my fave, anyway), or the better quality food that used to be in the buffet....

Next will be the soft serve ice cream.......:eek:

Hopefully, I will be sailing next Weds.....I am on the Gem with the bad azipods...LOL....and I can let you all know what else they are cutting back on!!! :D

I think Terry and Doug were "Right On" with their post!!!

I have to say, I am definitely going to miss the cappucchino machines...they were like that "extra little treat" that you looked forward to, and then it's taken away......I can live without the champagne, or the mints on the pillow, or the increase in Le Bistro (not my fave, anyway), or the better quality food that used to be in the buffet....

Next will be the soft serve ice cream.......:eek:

Hopefully, I will be sailing next Weds.....I am on the Gem with the bad azipods...LOL....and I can let you all know what else they are cutting back on!!! :D

I think Terry and Doug were "Right On" with their post!!!

Shhh on the soft serve disappearing or being charged for.

but even though I don't especially care about the wine, it was sort of like 'WHOO HOOO! WE'RE OFFICIALLY ON A CRUISE NOW!" In fact, upon getting it, I've been know to let out with a loud "Let the party begin!" (but then I'm a crass oaf)

-Mongo

Provided you let Suzanne board the ship 20 minutes before you in May, she has agreed to have a glass of bubbly waiting for your arrival. So, 'Let the party begin!';)

Oh, I would not say that, what about the wonderful beds and linens for starters? Someone just isn't very happy it sounds like. I too will miss the bubbly, but it isn't a make or break..One little 2 oz glass of cheap sprarkling wine, big deal...

As for the cappucino, I am sure lots of people will miss it, but there are no other lines that offer it free to my knowledge. Don't you guys all think the cruise lines, like hotel chains, restaurants etc pay attention to what others are doing and base their decisions on the information they get...

Nita

FYI, complimentary cappucino and espresso are offered at all meals in the main dining rooms of all HAL ships.

And although it takes a little searching, one can find a HAL cruise that is the same price or cheaper than NCL and you get 5 star ships, less tipping, a rewards program superior to NCL, definitely a better private island as well as the free specialty coffees.

There are other choices out there, folks.

And some of the other choices are actually better.

FYI, complimentary cappucino and espresso are offered at all meals in the main dining rooms of all HAL ships.

And although it takes a little searching, one can find a HAL cruise that is the same price or cheaper than NCL and you get 5 star ships, less tipping, a rewards program superior to NCL, definitely a better private island as well as the free specialty coffees.

There are other choices out there, folks.

And some of the other choices are actually better.

Right !! You get to eat when they tell you to, and you get to wear what they tell you to.. I am going to jump right on that !!!!

Archived