Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

READY! OKAY! (Jeff-how long are we suppose to say that)

Provided you let Suzanne board the ship 20 minutes before you in May, she has agreed to have a glass of bubbly waiting for your arrival. So, 'Let the party begin!';)

Sure! Like I'm gonna wait to board just for that LOL (maybe I'd wait for Fred Sanfords drink of choice 'Ol Cripple)

I can see the headlines now ---- Ex-NCL cruiser succumbs to Bubbly Deprivation.

Won't even make it to page 6 section E ;) (and what do you mean "EX"?)

OK, I really have to correct you (never thought that would happen on this board)

The correct expression is:

Porky Pig, Porky Pig

Sis Boom Bah

Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

Rah Rah Rah

No no no! I now must correct you!

Rika Racka Fire Cracka Sis Boom Bah!

Bugs Bunny! Bugs Bunny Rah! Rah! Rah!

Now bring back the bubbly!:)

So many changes to refect the more difficult times we live in:

Now charge companies are going to charge for UNused credit cards....

No free checks with free checking acounts...

No soda refills in my favorite restaurants and a single diet coke is $3...

No mints in restaurants...

NO lollipops or dog biscuits at many bank drive up windows anymore

AND Now no bubbly on embarkment...who cares? Picky, Picky, picky... I am more concerned with oil prices and surcharges which would be a much larger cost. I love crusing and won't miss the bubbly or coffee. Next they will set up a Starbucks in the Atrium. If you want it, pay for it. Why should the rest of us pay for it. If it keeps the prices down, I am for it.

FYI, complimentary cappucino and espresso are offered at all meals in the main dining rooms of all HAL ships.

And although it takes a little searching, one can find a HAL cruise that is the same price or cheaper than NCL and you get 5 star ships, less tipping, a rewards program superior to NCL, definitely a better private island as well as the free specialty coffees.

There are other choices out there, folks.

And some of the other choices are actually better.

Yeah...right. Are we supposed to just take your word for it?

HAL is just soooooooooooooo great, yet you don't participate on the HAL boards. You join CC for the first time today and the very first place you come is here.

What kind of person would spend their time in a place they consider to be inferior?

No no no! I now must correct you!

Rika Racka Fire Cracka Sis Boom Bah!

Bugs Bunny! Bugs Bunny Rah! Rah! Rah!

Maybe in Connecticut :eek:

a rewards program superior to NCL, definitely a better private island

Actually the private island played a big part in my booking of my next cruise :D

Hal does have any time dining. We have taken 2 of their cruises. Enjoyed them very much. We are 53 and 50. Have taken 2 NCL cruises. Enjoyed them both very much also. Each cruise line has pros and cons. We like a variety in our cruising. We don't go on NCL for the bubbly, or on HAL for 1 thing in particular. All the cruise lines are cutting back, trying to survive. I am very fortunate that in these hard times, we are still able to take cruises, and more than 1 per year. We look for great deals, and great itineraries, and go with the flow!

Next they will set up a Starbucks in the Atrium. If you want it, pay for it. Why should the rest of us pay for it. If it keeps the prices down, I am for it.

Doesn't Oasis of the Seas actually have a Starbucks on board?

FYI, complimentary cappucino and espresso are offered at all meals in the main dining rooms of all HAL ships.

And although it takes a little searching, one can find a HAL cruise that is the same price or cheaper than NCL and you get 5 star ships, less tipping, a rewards program superior to NCL, definitely a better private island as well as the free specialty coffees.

I'll book a HAL cruise when I reach the age of 103 thank you. I hope when I get that age I won't be so petty that I would consider "less tipping" to the crew a good thing though.

I tried to explain my point in a fair manner but now you are giving me intents that I do not have. Nowhere did I mention to charge me more to offer me included alcohol or (anything new for that matter), I just asked for the same product they were delivering a few years ago. So please keep this debate fair.

‘’The fuel costs have tripled’’ (if you go for ‘’at-least-doubled’’, I agree), this is a true and a valid point that I am glad someone mentioned because I am all for a fair debate. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly what is the proportion of the costs on the total operating costs of the cruise line so it’s hard for me to say if I would have continued to sail if they followed the price increase. Is the 7$pp fuel surcharge representative? Then, yes, I would prefer to pay 70$ more for my 10-night cruise than having to go with the lesser-quality product NCL is becoming.

One example to show you that I am open-minded and understand a price increase when there is a good reason for it is that I am among the people who think the service charge increase from 10 to 12$ per day is normal since it had been at 10$ for decades from what I heard and 12$ reflects a little better what I would give as tips for one-night hotel and 3 decent meals per day (and I still tip extra on some circumstances).

I know I can buy anything I need or want. I do (commensurate to my budget). I go to some specialty restaurants but not every night, I purchase a drink or two per day, a few souvenirs, participate in some activities that are for a fee, etc. But it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like what NCL is becoming, and it’s my personal choice.

If other people like NCL as much as they used to 7 years ago, I am sincerely happy for them. If other people think the way I do, then NCL should start taking better care of its passengers or they’ll go away and I think it is better tell them now so they can rectify if they judge it appropriate.

I agree with you. I have sailed with NCL 12 times, but the last two cruises were not up to par with previous cruises.

I felt that the food in the MDR had gone way downhill, and the charges for all of the pay restaurants had increased. Things that used to be free, like the indoor pool area on the Dawn, are now pay areas.

During our last cruise on the Spirit, the first ten or so rows of seats in the theater were reserved for people who purchased a certain amount of alcohol. Tacky tacky...very disrespectful to those who don't drink.

My most recent cruises was on Princess, and although I would sail NCL again if the price and itenerary were right, NCL is no longer my first choice.

During our last cruise on the Spirit, the first ten or so rows of seats in the theater were reserved for people who purchased a certain amount of alcohol. Tacky tacky...very disrespectful to those who don't drink.

Wow this is the first time I have heard this that is beyond tacky. Wonder who the keeper of the receipts are to see who the heavy drinkers are?

If that in fact is the new practice, it is beyond lame. Thumbs down if it's true.

The fact of being able to eat when you want and wear what you want, keeps me with NCL. I dont want someone telling me what I have to wear and what time I have to eat, and someone telling me I have to share a table with a bunch of strangers. I am paying you, you are not paying me.

What exactly is "cheerleading" about talking about relatively simple business model facts. Costs are rising' date=' fares are staying relatively the same, and I am guessing that people are spending less aboard the ship (please read all the rumrunner threads!!). Little cuts here and there can help avoid larger cuts in other areas or even rate hikes. Someone else mentioned that Carnival is even making cuts, and they are the worlds largest cruise line.[/color']

PE<---Rah, rah, rah, zis, boom, bah...

I merely commented that the "business model" should think about raising the price $5 that I wouldn't even notice to pay for a small token of customer service that I will remember for life. Just smart business to exceed a customers expectation.

Just because we disagree over a glass of complimentary champagne shouldn't allow you to be offended by the cheerleader comment. For crying out load, some people defend NCL over the dumbest small things like this. It is possible to disagree with NCL from time to time so those who are offended by that comment must be guilty of it because of their strong reaction to it.

PS YourRah, rah, rah zis boom, bah quote is just plain mean. Isn't that what you usually preach to some posters?

Makes me wonder if some posters don't work for NCL? Hmmm

Well said, we are on HAL in April and the price we paid for what we will receive on board leaves NCL for dead.

OK, I really have to correct you (never thought that would happen on this board)

The correct expression is:

Porky Pig, Porky Pig

Sis Boom Bah

Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

Rah Rah Rah

Nope............ It's:

"Brick-a-brackah-firecrackah

Sis boom bah!

Bugs bunny, Bugs bunny, Rah-Rah-Rah!

I merely commented that the "business model" should think about raising the price $5 that I wouldn't even notice to pay for a small token of customer service that I will remember for life. Just smart business to exceed a customers expectation.

Just because we disagree over a glass of complimentary champagne shouldn't allow you to be offended by the cheerleader comment. For crying out load, some people defend NCL over the dumbest small things like this. It is possible to disagree with NCL from time to time so those who are offended by that comment must be guilty of it because of their strong reaction to it.

PS YourRah, rah, rah zis boom, bah quote is just plain mean. Isn't that what you usually preach to some posters?

See...here is where the whole discussion goes south...

There is no problem here discussing issues...many different people, many different experiences, many different opinions.

You see, it isn't the disagreement over champagne...that is an issue. The "cheerleader" comment is NOT an issue...it is an attempt to negatively label and attack another poster....and, IMHO, that is what people have a problem with.

You go further to call them the "dumbest small things"...as if to infer that people who defend these "dumb" things are also "dumb". There really is no need for labels.

If you don't see the difference, read both of these statements:

#1- "I don't know why you are upset over a glass of champagne"

#2 - "I don't know why you are upset over a silly glass of champagne"

How does the insertion of the label "silly" affect the statement?

I would have HATED to try the beds BEFORE 2.0, as uncomfortable as they were last month :confused:

And REALLY if the champagne is only worth $.07, why cut it at all? It is a nice welcome gesture

The figure of 7 cents per glass was pulled out of thin air. In times like we are currently in, big companies are looking for ways to cut PEOPLE. In cutting out the champagne, and cutting a few other small things, they are most likely trying to create less work, so they can cut workers. I don't know about NCL, but many companies have already cut labor, and just doubled the work load on the remaining employees. So they provide less service just to keep up, or to even lay off more folks.

OK I loved the Champagne welcome but I actually think under the circumstances this is a pretty shrewd move. We all need to agree that we are here because we love cruising and if NCL gave us the world and went into liquidation that wouldn't any of us any favours in the long term.

Let me explain - lets say the cost of fuel is double what it was 4 years ago? (It might be - I don't actually know). That's one big area in which they have money they have to claw back in order to stay afloat. Other costs have presumably increaed too (food costs, hourly staff costs).

My question is - how would you have recouped this? The Cost in terms of glasses, staff hours, bubbly itself and lost bar revenue during the bubbly-hour presumably has been investigated? When you add it up the real cost might be (say) $10 per person. $20,000 would therefore go somewhat towards the fuel increase. If I was asked would I prefer to pay more for the full freestyle 2.0 experience, I probably wouldn't. But how else can they increase the revenue? Lesser food quality (I hope not). Put up drinks prices (bad idea IMO they are almost unaffordable already.) I will miss it for sure but if it keeps cruising within my financial reach - so be it. Just so you all know I find the erosion of the product irritating too & am definetely no cheerleader.

my view of this is also pretty simple.

I enjoyed the champagne. I understand that NCL has cost issues and that this was a cost saving move. I wish only that they announce the change to its loyal cruisers(i.e. tell us latitude members). The same with the Capucino and expresso.

NCL in my opinion has cut the benefits to the latitude members as well. They seem to more cater to the first time cruisers than its returning cruisers.

I have been pretty loyal to NCL but with the other cruise lines doing their form of freestyle, you will see me on other cruise lines more often and possibly even HAL if the price is right. Yes I admit it I am somewhat price sensitive.

All they need to do is treat us with respect for our opinion and not treat as cattle willing to go anywhere for the lowest price. I have at times paid more to go on NCL but probably won't in the future.

and again, I will say, what difference does it make? DO you think anyone will book or not book because they like a glass of bubbly when they get on the ship? This has to be one of the nuttiest things I can think of. There is so much more to cruising than bubbly and chocolates at night.

Roberta, have you checked the tipping cost on HAL recently? They are almost the same, I think they are 11 or 11.50 per day. Remember what you or I got 6 months ago could be totally different than what you are going to get next month. By the way, I happen to love HAL I will add and yes, sometimes they do have better rates. They offer much that NCL doesn't offer, but they also have negatives that NCL doesn't have..

Nita

I actually believe these were seats for a certain level of suite guest, it is listed as one of the perks they are paying for. Personally, I think sitting a bit further back is more enjoyable anyway :)

I will also miss the bubbly, but if I want a drink when I board I will buy one. I usually find it hard to maneuver my luggage and the champagne flute, so maybe now I will drop my bags and get something fun and fruity on the pool deck instead.

Archived