Zuiderdam in Panama Canal

joedi

We're having a hard time understanding what we'll see from the ship on a partial trasit (from the east) to and from Gatun Lake. Can anyone enlighten us on whether we'll see more from the ship or on one of the several tram/train/kayaking excursions? Thanks.

You need to be up early -- we got up at 5 AM -- so that we could see the approach to the locks.

The you have the actual locks themselves and nearly everyone is out on deck watching as the "mules" do their work as you go through the locks.

Once you are through the locks the ship just goes as far as Gatun Lake where it anchors and the ship's tenders take passengers ashore who have tours. Those who don't take a tour can only stay on the ship -- not much to see.

Once everyone for the tours is ashore -- the ship goes back through the locks to go to Cristobal where you can get off the ship without a tour and walk around the terminal there -- a few shops and lots of vendors. The first cruise we got to Cristobal quite late and had only about an hour there. The second cruise we had about 4 hours there.

I strongly recommend you take a tour to see a lot more of the Canal. In the past we have done the train excursion where we went to the Pacific side -- stops there -- also stopped at the Miraflores Locks -- short movie there about the locks and if you are lucky you may even see a ship or freighter going through the locks.

I laughed when I saw how old the maps about the canal we were given on the Zuiderdam were compared to the ones we got last spring on the Westerdam (full transit). The maps didn't show where the new locks are being built.

I agree with Krazie. Our partial transit wasn't on HAL, but can't imagine there would be much difference. Once in the lake we took a ferry excursion which took us through the rest of the locks. Since the ferry was much, much smaller we got a very up close look at all the workings. It was a long day but glad we did it. I didn't want to go to the canal without going all the way through it. I full transit wouldn't work for us, so this was great.

We just returned from the Zuiderdam cruise, and I had the same questions you have, prior to our cruise. You will get an excellent view of everything in the 3 locks when the ship enters Gatun Lake, especially if you move around the ship - there will be plenty of time to move from one location to another while the ship is in each lock. We started on our verandah (deck 6, port-side), then down to deck 3 (could view from both sides), then up to Lido deck, aft.

I highly recommend taking an excursion, don't stay on the boat for the return out of the same locks. We did the train/bus ride, which takes you all the way across to the Pacific side, but not into Panama City, so you do see the rest of the canal from the bus and train. The bus also stopped at Miraflores Lock, which we enjoyed, but didn't feel like we would have missed too much, had it not stopped. A couple at our dinner table that night had taken the bus tour over to old Panama, and really enjoyed that. I would have taken that tour, had I know what I do now! We would have travelled by the same highway, seen the rest of the canal (and eaten lunch at a 5-star hotel, instead of getting a small snack on the train), and also experienced Panama City, instead of another lock. If you do take the train, the dome car is good because it sits higher and gives you an even better view. However, our windows were all cracked, so taking pictures was problematic. Hope this helps. It is a great itineray and cruise.

Sorry to hear that some of the windows on the dome car are cracked.

That was the car we were in when we did this tour -- and at the time we did it -- a few years ago -- it was train both ways (I know -- it has changed) and we did get to Panama City -- long day but worth it.

Oh yes -- while going through the locks in the morning -- don't forget to try the Panama Buns!!

Hmmmm, I think I will take the contrarian position. On the way into the locks it was around 5:30-6:00 and the sun was just coming up, so it was still somewhat dark out. As you approach, you see the row boat come out and attach the lines between the ship and the "mules." If you are on the lower decks (3-4) you are right about at ground level when the lock is empty, so you can be up close and personal with the workings of the locks. You can also watch other ships that are transiting.

I think it is best to be on the inside side of the ship (i.e. if you go through the left canal, be on the starboard side of the ship, if you go through the right canal, be on the port side of the ship). I would (and did) avoid the bow in the morning. There are far more people than there are places to stand at the rails. If you have an aft balcony, use it, otherwise, watch part of the transit from the aft Lido deck.

Once in Gatun, all of the people on excursions through the ship get off. So once the ship starts moving back to the canal, get to the bow and it will be easy to get a front-row place at the rails. Watch the first lock and then take off. Now, the tricky part. You need to find someone in one of the last 3-4 cabins on sides of deck 4 (two of these are SC suites). Go out to their balcony and touch the walls of the canal when the ship is lowered. The walls of the canal rise as they get toward Gatun Lake, so you can't do this on the way in. The rise is fairly abrupt, so only the last few cabins on each side are next to walls that are high enough and only on the 4th Deck, because it juts out a little.

For my money, the excursions in Gatun lake cost far more than they are worth. But that could just be me. If you are into indigenous people, I hear that the trips to the villages are good. You can go through the other locks on a ferry, but it is a long day.

Just my thoughts.

- Ike

p.s. I hope to have my canal pictures up this weekend. We'll see how much time I have for that.

We will be on the Zuiderdam on the 22nd of this month and chose to do the 'Canal Experience to Cristobal' offered by HAL. It will be a long day, but think it will be worth it. I can't wait. Getting very excited now.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

That is an excellent tour!! You will enjoy it -- did that one about 3 years ago!!

You'll see all you could possible need or want to from the ship! Just be sure to "roam" around--so you can view everything from all sides and levels of the ship! There's no need to take excursions if your ship goes through the locks! All of the excursions are very long (and hot!)...and because alot of folks WILL take excursions, the ship crowds thin out remarkably, making for a very nice day onboard!

Thank you, everyone.

HAL's excursion offerings include an "Eco Cruise," a "Safari" by fast motor launch and houseboat, and a "Canal Experience," by tour boat. Which of these is what folks refer to as the "ferry"? And has anyone done the kayak trip?

Again, I appreciate people sharing their experiences.

Luv My Cruises,

Please let us know how you liked the canal experience when you get back. We will be on the Zuiderdam on April 10th and have signed up for that also. Would love to hear all about it.

Peg

Luv My Cruises,

Please let us know how you liked the canal experience when you get back. We will be on the Zuiderdam on April 10th and have signed up for that also. Would love to hear all about it.

Peg

Hey Peg

You bet. I'll make sure I do a review. It's getting close now and I'm getting real excited.

We did this trip last February and absolutely loved it. We had a suite in the aft with a huge balcony which we really made use of ....IMO thats one of the cruises when you really appreciate that balcony. We were out there the majority of the time, were on the 5th deck so had shade from above us, welcomed too ! On passing thru the canal there couldnt have been a better place to be, after the first half hour or so when its so special to be up on the front ...we could nearly have touched the sides of the canal at times and loved watching the wake during the entire cruise. At Gatun Lake we took an excursion (dont remember the name of it) but it was about 4 hours long, they took about 4 boat loads of us at a time around the edges of the Lake to see wildlife....tons of monkeys who came down to eat from our hands etc were our favorites ! Then we were taken to the Captain's own houseboat and given a really nice Panamanian lunch and a tour of his private zoo on board the houseboat. Excursion was a real highlight of the entire cruise....so we were glad to have gotten off to do this and reboarded again when the Zuiderdam came back thru the other direction.

Hi,

We recently returned from this cruise on the Zuiderdam (Dec. 13-23) and had a great time. We also did the tour with the train (in the dome car) with the bus ride back to the ship. I enjoyed this tour, but would have liked to see Panama City (we saw the city from a distance). We had a balcony (on the starboard side of the ship), but went to the bow of the ship when we went through the locks. We stood on the observation area (Deck 5) immediately above the bow and had a great view (without the large crowd). This was an excellent cruise.

Chuck

We just arrived home from the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise on Jan 12th! Our excursion was the Canal Experience and it was wonderful! Tendered off the ship in Gatun Lake, boarded a bus that took us to just before the final 3 locks and got on a ferry (held about 300 people) that sailed through the last 3 locks to the Pacific. Our bus was waiting for us near Panama City for the trip back to the ship at Cristobal. A long day but surprisingly comfortable and very enjoyable. There was a photographer on board the ferry that took our picture with the lock doors in the background and had it printed as a certificate with the date of our transit of the Panama Canal. Nice souvenir for $10!:cool:

I did the partial transit of the Canal and did not get off the ship. I got out about 5:30 AM and it was quite crowded and still dark as we approached the Canal. By the time we got into the locks it was getting light. By the time we got through the Locks it was quite warm. We stay anchored until all the Pacific bound traffic got through the Gatun Locks. I think we pulled up anchor and headed to the locks again about 12:30 and it was around 1:45 or 2 when we got to Cristobal. We docked and I did get off the ship for a while.

I think we left about 7:30 PM that night.

Now, the tricky part. You need to find someone in one of the last 3-4 cabins on sides of deck 4 (two of these are SC suites). Go out to their balcony and touch the walls of the canal when the ship is lowered. The walls of the canal rise as they get toward Gatun Lake, so you can't do this on the way in. The rise is fairly abrupt, so only the last few cabins on each side are next to walls that are high enough and only on the 4th Deck, because it juts out a little.

Thanks IkeEsq for that suggestion! Our cabins are on deck 4; my sister's is the 4th one from the back (4166) and mine is the 5th (4164). Maybe we can touch the walls, which would be very cool.

Now for the dumb question: if we take a shore excursion, we miss the "wall-touching"; is that right?

Thanks IkeEsq for that suggestion! Our cabins are on deck 4; my sister's is the 4th one from the back (4166) and mine is the 5th (4164). Maybe we can touch the walls, which would be very cool.

Now for the dumb question: if we take a shore excursion, we miss the "wall-touching"; is that right?

No, if you take the Canal Experience tour (the ferry that takes you all the way to the Pacific side of the Canal), you will be able to get VERY up close and personal to the walls of the Canal. We did that one in October and were very pleased. Since you are on a smaller ferry, they get right up against the walls of the locks as you're being lowered, so you can do as much touching as you wish. You'll get a much better feel for the Canal (pardon the pun!) on this as opposed to going back through the same set of locks you've already done on the Z. I've attached a picture of when we went through the Pedro Miguel locks so you can see just how close you get to the walls.

Plus, you get to see more of Panama than you would by staying on the ship. The bus drives you back from just outside Panama City all the way back to Cristobal, so you get to see a lot of the country. Enlightening, to say the least.

1190262509_Day7-PanamaCanalTour-SecondCanalLock-PedroMiguelLocksBeingLowered6(20Oct09).jpg.575c5311d6dc871dce3ebcac05a74f6e.jpg

Correct, at least from the Zuiderdam. As mentioned, you can possibly/probably touch the walls if you do the ferry. I posted my pictures which will show some of the details of the transit. I hope to get the journal posted in the next week or two.

- Ike

Correct, at least from the Zuiderdam. As mentioned, you can possibly/probably touch the walls if you do the ferry. I posted my pictures which will show some of the details of the transit. I hope to get the journal posted in the next week or two.

- Ike

You will DEFINITELY get to touch the walls of both the Pedro Miguel and the Miraflores Locks if you do the Canal Experience (ferry). The ferry captains make sure they get as close to the sides of the locks as possible, for that very reason.

That being said, it's a very long excursion and if you don't want to spend the whole day on one and your only concern is being able to touch the walls of any of the locks, it sounds like Deck 4 aft on the return through the Gatun Locks might be your best bet. We just wanted to see the entire Canal (don't expect to ever do it again), which is why we did the Experience tour.

Archived