Passport expires in June...April MR cruise ok?

Gaijin_Mom

I think we're ok, as I haven't seen any requirements saying passports need to be valid for 3 or 6 months after travel. I know that passports aren't necessary to cruise to Mexico, but since we have them, I'd rather use them than our BC. We travel April 11, passports expire June 15...we should be fine, right? I'd consider renewing them, now, but this is the toughest part of the year for us, financially and would rather just renew them after the cruise. Any experience? From what I've been able to find Mexico doesn't seem to have any restrictions on when your passport expires. Thanks for the help!

Ah, gomen asai. Well, given that you are a US citizen back in the US, yep, you can use your passports for your cruise. The US accepts them up to and including the date of expiration, and on a RT closed loop cruise, the Bahamas does not require you to have one in the first place. You may have to call RCCL to enter your expiration dates manually on your online records, though, sometimes the computers insist on a 6 month date unless overridden by an employee.

Interesting, we are heading on a MR cruise in February and our US passports expired one week short of 6 mos after our return and our TA insisted we get new ones. Which we did. I think I would verify which info is correct. The passport service was very quick even without expediting them. Hope this helps.

~ BJ

Sorry for the confusion!...US citizen! Actually just moved back to the US after living in Japan for nine years. We're in AZ now. Sorry about that!

Where are you in AZ? Come join our AZ Cruiser's thread! The link is in my signature......:)

Now I am also concerned....DH's passport expires in October and our cruise is in May - 5 months apart. I think an e-mail to our TA is in order to get this clarified for sure.

Ok! Here's some info in case anyone else can use it. I just called the national passport information center. They said that Mexico has no requirements as far as how long the passports are valid from the date of travel. So I CAN travel in April to Mexico with my passport that expires in June. It's ok to renew once I get back. They said that is no problem. Hope that helps!

Ok! Here's some info in case anyone else can use it. I just called the national passport information center. They said that Mexico has no requirements as far as how long the passports are valid from the date of travel. So I CAN travel in April to Mexico with my passport that expires in June. It's ok to renew once I get back. They said that is no problem. Hope that helps!

Thanks! That IS a help.:D I won't worry about Steve's until we get back either.

See you on the AZ Cruiser's thread!;)

My experience is that it is the US airlines that require at least 6 months before expiration to allow flights regardless of US-Mex entry rules on expiration. If you have no airline travel involved, then 6 month issue not apply. Good Luck

My experience is that it is the US airlines that require at least 6 months before expiration to allow flights regardless of US-Mex entry rules on expiration. If you have no airline travel involved, then 6 month issue not apply. Good Luck

No airlines to deal with this trip, thank goodness!:D

One should also check with the cruise line. They certainly have regulations in effect regarding the 6 month rule. It is important to establish if the rule will be applied on an MR itinerary or not. My experience with bureaucracies is each one sticks to its own rules regardless of their necessity. I also suspect that a phone call is not enough. Try to get an email from the line and take it with you.

What would happen if your passport expired before that 6 mos. thing but the cruise ship didn't care but the airlines did and for some unforeseen circumstance you had to fly back to the US from Mexico. Would there be a problem? Has that happened to anyone?

~ BJ

What would happen if your passport expired before that 6 mos. thing but the cruise ship didn't care but the airlines did and for some unforeseen circumstance you had to fly back to the US from Mexico. Would there be a problem? Has that happened to anyone?

~ BJ

Would not be a problem in this instance because the 6 month rule would not apply since you are flying to your native country.

Archived