Breaking News P&O is safe!

geecee1

My philosophy on choosing a holiday is simple, I pick up a brochure on the type of holiday I am looking for, I read what it says, if I like it, I book, if I don't like it, I don't book. If I book,then I abide by the rules, if there are any. Simples.:D

What a great way to choose a holiday. I often look at brochures from Hotels, resorts and indeed cruises. The photos of the glamourous people sometimes hides the facts.

I have now reached a stage in my life, where its comfort, value for money and meeting nice people on my cruise destination. I also enjoy the formal nights, as they give me the chance to be me.

Thank you.

Am I alone in becoming a tad irritated with geecee 1's repetitive posts?

I'm very happy for you and your family of high-earning high-fliers who must spend all year smartly dressed and attending black-tie functions.

Some of us have more mundane jobs and welcome a bit of glamour on holiday.

This is what P&O offer us, and this is why we book with them.

If it isn't what you are looking for, book something else.

Carol x

Lynn Knickers

Firstly welcome.

I look beyond the picture's in brochures, as they never really portray reality, but I do read the small print, With cruising there are so many forums, that you can talk to others about cruising, and there are lots of holiday photo's of the ships that people post. I like formal nights, but my next cruise, picked mainly due to the itinery, we only have 1 per week.

However I am pretty lucky as today I have received an invite to attend the naming ceremony of P&O's new ship Azura, all because of the number of posts, I have made on P&O's main forum.

Am I alone in becoming a tad irritated with geecee 1's repetitive posts?

I'm very happy for you and your family of high-earning high-fliers who must spend all year smartly dressed and attending black-tie functions.

Some of us have more mundane jobs and welcome a bit of glamour on holiday.

This is what P&O offer us, and this is why we book with them.

If it isn't what you are looking for, book something else.

Carol x

No, Carol, you're not the only one, but he clearly, and admittedly, is a "wind-up" merchant.

Two good things he has said:

1. He's off to Barbados at the end of the month (hopefully enjoying a holiday with not a computer in sight)

2. He's back off to the OV forum - unfortunately that didn't hold true.

No, Carol, you're not the only one, but he clearly, and admittedly, is a "wind-up" merchant.

1. He's off to Barbados at the end of the month (hopefully enjoying a holiday with not a computer in sight)

Glad I have made someone happy.

I am happy for Carol Marlowe, P&O or Carnival Group to carry on marketing their ships the way they feel is best. They obviously have an expertise in how to maximise cabin occupancy on their ships, which for them is what its all about. Although I have a knowledge of maximising room occupancy in a hotel, having worked as a manager and auditor of a 192 bedroom 4* Hotel, Golf, Country Club and Spar. I would not dream of trying to tell those in another section of the Leisure & Holiday industry, how to try and run their business.:eek:

My philosophy on choosing a holiday is simple, I pick up a brochure on the type of holiday I am looking for, I read what it says, if I like it, I book, if I don't like it, I don't book. If I book,then I abide by the rules, if there are any. Simples.:D

Derek, I may have visited your Hotel. I thought I had made myself clear re my position on P&O marketing policy, with which I fully agree and I am sure that they are aware of how to position their products.

Like JTD and others , I want a clear message on how "informal" they intend to be, then, Carol, I can make a decision.

I am more than happy to sail on a ship with formal nights as long as I am not confined to quarters on those evenings.

Matty Barlow states, try Ventura, informal was not a problem, some posts suggest it is enforced ship-wide, Craig gets E-mails from P&O using the word "informal" to describe their Caribbean cruises, the message from cruise presentations taking place across the High Street is that "informality" is the name of the game. P&O personal stress that Formal Nights will always be a feature of their cruises.

It seems to me that they are trying to attract new customers from the informal end of the market whilst giving their loyal customer base what they have come to expect.

Perhaps P&O should run an advertising campaign using our friend Alexander so that even simple , tiresome folk like me get the message!

What a great way to choose a holiday. I often look at brochures from Hotels, resorts and indeed cruises. The photos of the glamourous people sometimes hides the facts.

I have now reached a stage in my life, where its comfort, value for money and meeting nice people on my cruise destination. I also enjoy the formal nights, as they give me the chance to be me.

Thank you.

Exactly the reason I enjoy informal. After a hard day on the beach, I want to relax and have a few beers, dine if I feel like it, or just chill out!

"Well P&O,I am sure, will not turn down my membership application if I decide to go on Ventura next winter. "

I am sure they will not turn down your membership, but they may enforce the terms of the membership once you are on board, which could be to deny you access to areas where there is a dress code, if you do not conform to that code. Which could be on some ships, all area's other than the buffet area and your cabin.

Once on board, you could have no complaint if this was the case, as it would have been down to you to read the terms of membership, before you signed up.

At the end of the day P&O are the owners, they make the rules and have a right to implement them, however they see fit, and however much, anybody has paid to join the club. The fact that some people may not have read the rules or want to try flaunt them, is down to the individual, and they can have no argument, if in this case P&O, decide to implement the terms of membership. If people do not like it and get stropy, then P&O or any other line, could unload you at the nearest port, to find your own way home. Not that they would re dress code.

For me, I read the terms, if I like them I sign up and go along with the flow, if I don't like them, I don't sign up. I think the problem is, people who read them, sign up, and then think they can flaunt them.

Whether P&O have made a marketing error, by implementing dress codes on to their ships, only they will know, but I am sure they would soon drop them if they thought it was loosing them money. I think they realise there is still a large market, for these type of ships, how long that remains, is any body's guess.

Anyway I'm looking forward to trying Thomson ships in about 8 weeks, and have my white tux jacket, ready for the one formal night per week.:eek:

Delboy, I know I have promised to leave the forum but if Mary and BRAYMAN can leave their tolerance key in positive mode just for a little while longer, I would appreciate your views on Thomson Cruises.

The reviews on their forum and reports from people in our village,speak of good food, good entertainment, great staff, are tempting us to give them a try, particularly when Thomson Dream begins her cruises from Havana next March.

They also seem to have solved the "the them and us" situation by adopting a sensible attitude to dress code on formal nights.

"I must admit if I was to go on another cruise I would like to go casual, after working hard all year we would rather a ship that was as relaxed as OV1 and not having to dress up in DJ etc and formal evenings." SAILORGIRL.

You really are making too much of 4 formal nights out of 14 nights onboard.....a nice dress and your sorted..accept it. Working hard all year? Whats that got to do with anything? Many of us do that to afford a cruise - see it as a chance wear something special and enjoy the gala menu that comes with a formal night, its not that difficult to play along - honest;) Its not often in this day and age you can wear a nice dress or smart top and black evening trousers....

Sue ,I have spent some time re-reading the posts on this thread and you may just have solved my problem, I had not thought about a dress. I would probably look better in that than the proverbial DJ. I have been told on more than one occasion that I have the legs for it. The problem as I see is that my wife and I would end up arguing over who is wearing which dress!

Some of the OV cruisers may find this thread from the P&O site interesting: http://www.pocruises.com/community/Topic259347-34-1.aspx

Without wishing to get embroiled in this particular argument, after many cruises, all on formal lines, I've met more people who didn't enjoy the dressing up aspect than did. However, if P&O want to re-brand one of their ships as an informal product, they need to place it under the umbrella of a name other than P&O to avoid confusion.

They might even decide to use the best brand name in the business "OCEAN VILLAGE"

All voices of reason!!

P&O know there is a casual market out there. By my reckoning I am paying approximately 50% more than I would with P&O to cruise my last two OV cruises this year - they know that there there is a product they can sell successfully; a brand they can capitalise on.

I can understand how they wanted to ditch the oncosts involved in marketing a separate brand involving just two ships, ageing ones at that. And I can follow the login in incorporating them into the burgeoning P&O (Australia) market - they dovetail into the existing fleet.

But why confuse and frustrate both their existing loyal P&O'ers by now seeming to market P&O as "casual in places" and deny their loyal OV'ers by taking away the ships and then try and hoodwink them into thinking that life on a couple of P&O ships will be just as relaxed as OV when it patently isn't going to be with threats that formal nights will be enforced all through the ships?

Result:

Existing P&O cruisers are upset and confused.

Existing OV cruisers are upset and bereft of a product.

Even the P&O staff are confused.

Why not take up the suggestions of existing P&O and OV customers and apply some subtle rebranding? Dedicate the two P&O vessels concerned as informal under the P&O flag and everyone will know what they are getting for their money.

Splash an extra designating logo on the bow - it doesn't even need to be pink!

How much would it cost to add paint one extra word after "P&O" on the superstructure?

P&O lite? Nah, undermines the main brand.

P&O easy? legal problems.

P&O Casual? Nah - it would need the main brand to be called "Formal"

P&O Village - now there's a thought!

Without doubt the best argument put forward on this thread.

Brayman, broke my promise. I read many threads on many forums and dress code and or lack of it generates an enormous range of responses.

Believe you me I am not the only "wind up" merchant on this thread. Some of my fellow posters think that P&O personnel are involved. That would not suprise me in the least.

You have only got to read the mixed messages coming out from them to realise that someone somewhere is making mischief, whilst at the same time annoying both existing and potential customers.( read the brilliant post above on just this subject)

You can rest in peace now as I have to go and "pack mi carrier". I will not be seeking out an internet cafe in Bridegtown.

Tara for now. Look after thissen. That's Yorkshire for Gan Canny.

• 2 weeks later...

DTR, from what I gather about RCI there are formal dining evenings in the MDR but the dress code isn't strictly enforced. Also there are alternative eating venues and the dress code does not apply to the whole ship but just the MDR.

I'm giving RCI a try in June but don't have high hopes as I think they may prove to be a little too big and brash for my taste.

Still may give P and O a try later in the year but my top option at the moment is Celebrity, particularly after the upgrade fairy there has just given me a six level upgrade! They seem keen to attract me and I am just as keen to give them a try.

Celebrity have formal nights as well, discusssion gets heated there too!!

Yes they do and these are apparently much more rigorously observed than RCI, although again limited to MDR. OV was casual but not brash and I feel I would prefer the ambiance of Celebrity to RCI, although I haven't tried an American line yet so am only going on second-hand information.

I have more than enough choice of evening wear to blend in happily as I attend formal functions as part of my work. Itinerary and as few sea days as possible is more important to me than worrying about whether a cruise is formal or informal - we can fit in with either.

And there in lies the crux of the problem.

P&O either have to enforce it to the letter and risk bad publicity and passengers not booking again reducing income or they relax the enforcement and slowly over the coming months/years the % dressing up on certain ships like Ventura will diminish as more "rebels" skip or dress-down and those traditionalist will get upset..

I would very much like to part with around £8K for 3 Balcony cabins on Ventura this year (sisters 40th and Dads 70th), they like the Canaries Itinerary, my Mum doesn't like flying so So'ton is good for that... but sadly...

Jesus wept £8k for 3 balcony cabins - sounds like a bargain to me - I think you should bite their hand off for it - the most expensive cruise I've ever done in my life was £8.5k for 1 suite on Ocean Village for 2 wks in the Caribbean over Xmas/New Year. It was nice that Santa could land on the balcony for our little boy but would have still preferred an OV inside for 1/2 this price and the suite wasn't worth all that extra expense. Incidentally we see you're a single cruiser and you obviously spend a lot of time on the computer so you may know that the new NCL ship "Epic" have Studio rooms so that you don't have to pay a single room supplement - could be worth a look for you?

Sounds perfect eh ???

Stitch ( suntanned ) X

Jesus wept £8k for 3 balcony cabins - sounds like a bargain to me - I think you should bite their hand off for it - the most expensive cruise I've ever done in my life was £8.5k for 1 suite on Ocean Village for 2 wks in the Caribbean over Xmas/New Year. It was nice that Santa could land on the balcony for our little boy but would have still preferred an OV inside for 1/2 this price and the suite wasn't worth all that extra expense. Incidentally we see you're a single cruiser and you obviously spend a lot of time on the computer so you may know that the new NCL ship "Epic" have Studio rooms so that you don't have to pay a single room supplement - could be worth a look for you?

Sounds perfect eh ???

Stitch ( suntanned ) X

Well in the end we decided to stick with OV as none of the family old or young wanted to dress up, however as OV is much more expensive than P&O the kids are in an inside, I'm restricted outside and the folks get the A-deck treatment!

I have been closely watching the Epic.. Nearly booked the Soton to New York which was a bargain price..

Well it looks like RCI are going after the OV pax. Perhaps P&O will live to regret their decision. I wonder if they will react with something a little different for Summer 2011.

Good for RCI, perhaps the OV cruisers will be happy then.

I like the look of Celebrity, but as has been said they have formal nights.

I do not fancy the 15% extra on drinks and of course tips are far higher than with P&O.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived