Mexican Riviera versus Western Caribbean

timothy998

I know these are two dissimilar itineraries, but we finally have narrowed our March 2011 Spring Break cruise to these two. The Riviera cruise would be on the Oosterdam, and the Western Carib on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Has anyone been on both (or either) and care to comment, please? Travel from the Chicago area will be about the same in either direction, and LAX a couple hours away gives us more flight flexibility on UA than does FLL.

For the Western Caribbean, we've been to HMC and Grand Turk and loved both. None of us has been to Grand Cayman or Mazatlan, though we have been to Cancun.

We've been to San Diego, but none of us has been to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, or Mazatlan. Would this be too much of a party cruise for a family of 5 that would include at the time kids 5, 9, and nearly 13? I am just thinking "Love Boat" and the perception of the party atmosphere going to PV on the television show.

Thanks for any ideas and perspectives.

Just back from the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera and it is a good cruise - not a Love Boat thing at all. The stops were low-key and you can make them even more so if you want by the excursions or independent touring you choose. Mazatlan particularly was a charming historic town for plenty of independent touring that would give children a very nice low-key introduction to a small Mexican town. Additionally, a short water taxi trip from the ships dock to Stone Island puts you in a beach area used by Mexican families for outdoor dining and water activities.

PV has its charms as well just by going up into the steeper streets above the busier seafront area and seeing local shops, cafes and homes as well as the very low-key central island area. Plus there are lots of great active excursion choices that many seemed happy with at this stop.

Cabo is a bit more intense and modern if you do it on your own, but still a lot smaller than Cancun and again has a lot of water and active shore excurions, but not much you would do on your own here except wander around the bars, restaurants and shops for most things which you have already seen by now.

There is not the rich Mayan history on this side of Mexico, nor the green lushness. It is hot and dry and getting busier and busier as modern tourist development destinations, instead of the former small villages a few decades ago.

I posted some photos from our recent trip on another thread with the title Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Christmas Cruise if you want to take a look at what this side of Mexico looks like.

Tough choice for exactly the two reasons you say: two very different parts of Mexico to see. We would take the Mexican Riviera cruise again just because it was nice and low key and well paced and we did like exploring the old central Mazatlan historic district and shopping for quality Mexican pottery in PV. Cabo, eh? But nothing wrong with just being lazy in the sun there. With kids, sometimes just water, water, water is good enough and that you have in all these seaside spots.

We did the Mexican Riviera in 12/2008 with another couple and their 14 year old son. The ship was wonderful! Cabo is lovely on the water, but I don't think the town is much to write home about. Puerto Vallarta is beautiful. The city is nice and the water is incredible. We too a fantastic whale watching tour on a small boat there. In my opinion, Mazatlan is yuk. But, like the previous poster said, Stone Island is interesting. We did a horseback ride with Randy's Happy Horses and had an amazing time. We rode the horses through the back streets (they are all back streets) and on the beach, which was great. We then had the BEST coconut shrimp ever at a little restaurant on the beach.

Nieuw Amsterdam is not sailing quite yet. Her maiden voyage in in July 2009. We are booked on her for a Western Caribbean cruise in December.

I'd probably go with the Mexican Riviera, only because you haven't been yet. I like to go to new places. That's my 2 cents.

In my opinion, Mazatlan is yuk.

Ouch, we loved the Mazatlan Centro Historico, its very pretty central plaza and our wonderful lunch at Te Amo Lucy and wandering all the colorful back streets, the lovely architectural restorations, the peaceful green shade of the main church plaza, and the lively Mercado Central.

I would think the color and the presence of Mexican families in this area would be interesting for kids as an educational experience in a low-key, nicely accessible manner.

Did you explore this area, or go to the Zona Dorado which I agree is just more hyper-tourism?

I live near the left hand coast so I've done the Mexican Riv. many...many times. I personally think the Caribbean is much nicer. Normally I would say...go to where it's closer. Like you say...you are in the middle. I would go to the Caribbean. If you want something you haven't seen before go to Mexico. Both are fine choices.

Having been to both coasts with our children I would choose the Western Caribbean cruise. I like the ports and activities available better than the Pacific Coast of Mexico. We absolutely love Puerto Vallerta but for a cruise I would choose the Caribbean. It sounds like the new ship will also be fun for the kids. JMO Cherie

Generally speaking HAL doesn't attract a party hardy group, so you are less likely to have a rowdy group, even on spring break, from any port.

We were on a spring break Caribbean cruise several years ago (different cruise line) and realized that Florida is a just a road trip for huge numbers of college students. San Diego is a bit more out of the way. So if the primary decision is based on a calm family cruise, probably the Mexican Riviera would be better.

There is a better opportunity to learn more of a different culture on the Mexican Riviera cruise.

There are generally calmer waters in the Caribbean, and the water is warmer and more clear than in Mexico.

You'll enjoy either cruise

Just back from the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera and it is a good cruise - not a Love Boat thing at all. The stops were low-key and you can make them even more so if you want by the excursions or independent touring you choose. Mazatlan particularly was a charming historic town for plenty of independent touring that would give children a very nice low-key introduction to a small Mexican town. Additionally, a short water taxi trip from the ships dock to Stone Island puts you in a beach area used by Mexican families for outdoor dining and water activities.

PV has its charms as well just by going up into the steeper streets above the busier seafront area and seeing local shops, cafes and homes as well as the very low-key central island area. Plus there are lots of great active excursion choices that many seemed happy with at this stop.

Cabo is a bit more intense and modern if you do it on your own, but still a lot smaller than Cancun and again has a lot of water and active shore excurions, but not much you would do on your own here except wander around the bars, restaurants and shops for most things which you have already seen by now.

There is not the rich Mayan history on this side of Mexico, nor the green lushness. It is hot and dry and getting busier and busier as modern tourist development destinations, instead of the former small villages a few decades ago.

I posted some photos from our recent trip on another thread with the title Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Christmas Cruise if you want to take a look at what this side of Mexico looks like.

Tough choice for exactly the two reasons you say: two very different parts of Mexico to see. We would take the Mexican Riviera cruise again just because it was nice and low key and well paced and we did like exploring the old central Mazatlan historic district and shopping for quality Mexican pottery in PV. Cabo, eh? But nothing wrong with just being lazy in the sun there. With kids, sometimes just water, water, water is good enough and that you have in all these seaside spots.

Where do you stay is San Diego before your cruise thats near the Pier?

Rick & Harriet

SwissMyst will have to answer for herself, but we have found the Holiday Inn "San Diego On The Bay" directly across the street from the pier is VERY handy. They have a free shuttle from the airport and in the morning you simply roll your luggage across the street and board. The rooms are comfortable and there is a nice restaurant with outdoor eating. If you care, there is also a store that sells liquor and pop about 3 blocks away.

There is another Holiday Inn called San Diego Bayside, that's NOT what you want, don't let it confuse you

Rick & Harriet

Sorry, we live in Southern California so we drove to the port. The port is right down town and close to both the airport and the train station, with good shuttle connections between all these places. It should be fairly easy to find a good convenient place to stay that does not require much traveling between any of these points.

We've cruised both Mexican Riviera & Caribbean on HAL ships. While we enjoy both, we prefer the MR for a variety of reasons. BUT if we were traveling with a young family in tow, I think we'd steer towards the Caribbean. And I'd be inclined to want to sail the brand-spanking new Nieuw Amsterdam over the older Oosterdam. YMMV. ;);)

SwissMyst will have to answer for herself, but we have found the Holiday Inn "San Diego On The Bay" directly across the street from the pier is VERY handy. They have a free shuttle from the airport and in the morning you simply roll your luggage across the street and board. The rooms are comfortable and there is a nice restaurant with outdoor eating. If you care, there is also a store that sells liquor and pop about 3 blocks away.

There is another Holiday Inn called San Diego Bayside, that's NOT what you want, don't let it confuse you

Thanks for the info Cheryl.

Rick & harriet

Rick & Harriet

We just returned from a Circle Hawaii from San Diego. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown. It's about 3 blocks from the pier and they have a shuttle from the airport and to the pier. It was clean and comfortable and much less money than the Holiday Inn at the pier. The train/trolley runs behind the hotel, you can hear their whistles sometimes but not so much that it disturbed our sleep.

I would go to the Caribbean given the two choices.

We have been to the MR on the Oosterdam and of course the cruise was great. But you can't beat the beaches of the Caribbean; plus there are a lot of historical and sight-seeing destinations to explore.

It would be fun to be on a new ship, (Niew Amsterdam), although the Oosterdam is a great ship and not all that old (2004 if I remember correctly.)

A point for MR: you will probably pay about twice as much to cruise the Caribbean on a new ship. That would give you more to use on extras if you took the MR cruise.

Thanks for the ideas. We were on ms Westerdam in 2009 during spring break...and not really a party atmosphere, and the kids loved the kids' club. We'll do our research regarding the ports and decide based on those...we loved HMC & GTurk, but it's also fun to explore new areas. The big kids want to ride horses on HMC...but that's something they can do many places, but can't usually see whales in the Caribbean. Choices choices. We're finding that fares are very comparable at this point for 2011 for both itineraries. Using our/my frequent flyer miles at spring break will be a deciding factor as well...which itinerary gives us the better deal and gets us there with the least expense of points!

I live in Baja and have lived in San Diego, and there is an abundance of hotels on the San Diego Harbor and Mission Bay. All of them offer shuttle service from the airport to the pier. This section of San Diego is central to everything, there is good public transportation, and almost everyone offers free shuttles. It is hard to go wrong no matter what you choose unless you go super budget... and then you never know.

My personal recommendation, being familiar with some of the principals is this family owned chain. They are local and have all price ranges: http://www.bartellhotels.com/ourhotels.html

Regarding the "Love Boat" or party atmosphere... I think you are looking at a long enough cruise that you will avoid some if not most of that. There will be kids of course... that's why you are cruising on those dates. The cruises to watch out for unless you want to party hearty is the shorter 3-4 day cruises.

I prefer the Mexican Riviera because I have an affinity for Latin culture that you can really see and study in some of the real towns of Mexico. Cabo and Cancun are nice... but they are created resort cities, not real Mexican cities. To me... there is very little difference in the created resorts in Cancun and staying at a hotel in San Diego or Miami.

But that's just me... and my dos pesos. Hope you have a great time.

We've enjoyed both the Mexican Riviera and the Western Caribbean cruises. We did find them to be very different experiences, beginning with the difference in the points of departure (we live in the midwest). For a family cruise I would lean toward the Western Caribbean. However, we prefer the Eastern and Southern Caribbean itineraries.

After looking over the itineraries with my DW, we're leaning towards the Western Caribbean itinerary. We loved the beaches at both GT and HMC, and figure the seas will be smoothern than our Eastern Caribbean cruise in 2009...at least we hope so, not that our DS became tooo ill! Next we need to doublecheck our kids' spring break next year and figure out which frequent flyer miles we'll use to get to Florida.

Our family primarily cruise during Spring Break. We have done it each year since our girls were little. They are now 17 and 19. This family time is the main reason we cruise. We found the first and last day of the MR cruise to be too cool at sea for us. I see that you, like us, are from northern Illinois. We really like feeling hot/warm on spring break after the long cold winter. Cabo was warm but the water was rarther cold (without at least a wet suit top) for snorkeling. For that reason we prefer the Carribean over the MR for Spring Break. The Western route has a lot of water activities available all though the beaches aren't as nice as the Eastern route they are just as good as the MR. We did enjoy all the ports on our MR cruise.

The chance to be on a newer ship also would sway me to the Western Carib. choice. I wouldn't worry about HAL being to a drunken party boat for either choice.

Archived