Lobster Tail-Formal night

mnbruce

The pictures are nice but I assume these are not the ones served in the main dining room on the traditional seating.

I was on MSC, the lobster served on the formal night was awful, it was mostly bread crumbs, forgot what it was called.

MSC in the Caribbean has the worst food. Been on them twice and both times food was very bad! Would not go on MSC again. Very cheap cruise, ships very nice and clean. Staff friendly.

Do they serve lobster tail on formal nights on the Princess ships,and if so is the main dining the only restaurant you can get it? We have been thinking about skipping formal night this time but my wife likes lobster tail even though we know the quality of the tails are just so so on most cruises.

On our Panama Cruise (just returned) lobster was served on the

last two of three formal nights. The DR staff said that lobster

is served at least once every cruise.:cool:

The pictures are nice but I assume these are not the ones served in the main dining room on the traditional seating.

WDBGUY, Pics are as nice as the lobster tasted. I looked at the table setting and it was not the Crown Grill. I found this pic of DS who also had the same yummy lobster in the main dining room on the 2nd formal night, with an offer for another if he wanted.

2018215360102386216S600x600Q85.jpg

Canuk

• 3 weeks later...

Is lobster night standard on all cruises wherever in the world they are? I was disappointed last summer to discover that RCCI don't do lobster night at all in europe due to sourcing issues.

Has anyone has experience of this on Princess?

Hannah

We had lobster on the Royal Princess in Europe (on the second formal night as other have stated and one other night as well)

Personally I chose the Surf & Turf (Filet and LARGE lobster tail) as part of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner as well! Awesome!

Some silly questions here:

1) What is MSC?

2) I've never had lobster in a restaurant before but I've seen so many movies where people order it and then have no idea how to eat it! But in these pictures it seems as though the lobster has been prepared and is ready to eat - is that so? Can you just cut into it like any seafood?

I have had lobster before from Marks and Spencer - heat it up at home jobby. It was terrible. I couldn't tell what I was eating because it was smothered in sauce and there were wobbly gristly bits I had no idea what they were! I'm hoping this was a bad experience as I expected the texture to be like firm prawns/shrimp. Is that right?

Just rip the sucker out of the shell and eat with a knife and fork. No grissle should be found. Dip in melted butter for extra flavour and calories. Small tails are often sweeter than large tails and thus the New England or Nova Scotian tails are the sweetest IMHO. Caribbean tails are much larger but often less flavourful. Ok now I want lobster for breakfast.

Tails are included in the $25 fee.

For the live Maine or 12 ounce Brazillian/Aurtralian its a $9 up charge. And well worth it.

Just arrived home from the Emerald --we had cruised on the Crown just before the Emerald--so after 3 formal nights decided to go to the Crown Grill without formal wear. Couldn't beat the dinner--we both had filets and as many of the small lobster tails as we could eat and also a large amount of beautiful lamb--each chop had 3 bones--I don't eat lamb normally but what a great surprise--it was great--In the Crown Grill it's been obvious that some waiters are better than others--we had the BEST on that formal night a couple of days ago.

Nancy

We are just off 14 days on the Grand, the lobster tails and beef wellington were on our 3rd formal night. We usually go for the beef wellington as we generally find that the lobsters are farm raised in Mexico and just aren't as nice as north Atlantic ones. However on this cruise the beef wellington was very tough....most unusual.:mad:

Some silly questions here:

1) What is MSC?

2) I've never had lobster in a restaurant before but I've seen so many movies where people order it and then have no idea how to eat it! But in these pictures it seems as though the lobster has been prepared and is ready to eat - is that so? Can you just cut into it like any seafood?

I have had lobster before from Marks and Spencer - heat it up at home jobby. It was terrible. I couldn't tell what I was eating because it was smothered in sauce and there were wobbly gristly bits I had no idea what they were! I'm hoping this was a bad experience as I expected the texture to be like firm prawns/shrimp. Is that right?

The lobster, on the Coral Princess Christmas Cruise, was fantastic. It was served twice and my DH and I were encouraged to come back for seconds and thirds. As for attacking the lobster tails, you don't need to have any experience. Our waiter came over and removed the lobster meat, from the shell, and all we had to do was enjoy the eating. There was no breading or fancy sauce. It was just the sweet, succulent taste of lobster.

This thread is still going three weeks later. We ended up going to the formal nights anyway but those lobster tails are quite petite. We did go to the Crown Grill one night and it is worth the price IMO. I had a huge,excellent New York Strip and Pam had the 12 oz. Brazillian Lobster Tail. It was a very good dinner. In both restaurants the waiters did the work of pulling the meat from the shell.

Archived