Zurich or Bern after Rhine River cruise

PTravel

We are going on a Uniworld Castles Along the Rhine River cruise in late Aug. The cruise ends in Basel and we want to spend a couple of days in Switzerland. Should we take a train to Bern or Zurich for a couple of days or is there somewhere else close to Basel that we should visit?

Thanks.

Basel, Zurich and Luzern are all nice cities, but for the best of Switzerland, I'd spend a couple of days in the mountains using Interlaken, Murren or Wengen as a base. Any of them (as are Zurich and Luzern) are a reasonable train ride from Basel. You could also use Luzern as a base and go to nearby Mount Pilatus. Luzern is also close to the Zurich airport if that makes it easier for you.

Les

Interlaken is very nice too. We took the train, or maybe it's called the funicular, up to Jungfrauhauch (I'm sure I butchered that spelling but don't want to take the time to look it up). That was a lot of fun - felt like we were on top of the world!! Have photos of my boys up there in shorts and windbreakers (it was in the summer).

Karen

One more vote for Jungfrau region, ie. Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, or Murren. These are close to Interlaken. We spent week there after Rhine River cruise last year and thought the scenery (if you love mountains) was incredible. We've been all over Switzerland but this is the best!

Archived