Sydney Questions

Bill S

Stayed at Sydney Marriott on College. Got a great deal on Priceline. We loved the area as there was a good choice of less expensive restaurants than down by the quay. Also, our room had a fridge, microwave and kettle.

We tried to find a hotel offering a day room as we also had a late flight after cruise. Didn't find one but as we had stayed at the Marriott prior to the cruise they agreed to store our luggage for us after the cruise for the day and they also booked us a shuttle to the airport. Worked out great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I've missed this info on this board, but I tried to find it by checking for a thread and it said "no match". Not very familiar with the proper ins-and-outs, tho. We arrive in Sydney on March 13 and spend a night there before boarding our circumnavigation cruise.

Have read an old book re: Express Bus and another transportation bus option that takes you to your hotel. does someone have current info, or a site where we can find out? Suggestions for what is best and least expensive would be welcome and appreciated. thx in advance. we leave home on Thursday, March 11.

I'm sure I've missed this info on this board, but I tried to find it by checking for a thread and it said "no match". Not very familiar with the proper ins-and-outs, tho. We arrive in Sydney on March 13 and spend a night there before boarding our circumnavigation cruise.

Have read an old book re: Express Bus and another transportation bus option that takes you to your hotel. does someone have current info, or a site where we can find out? Suggestions for what is best and least expensive would be welcome and appreciated. thx in advance. we leave home on Thursday, March 11.

http://www.kst.com.au/airport.php

This is the door to door shuttle bus, which I use, which charges on a per head basis. Depending how many are in your party, you may wish to take a taxi, especially if you will be travelling outside peak hour.

Depending where you are staying in Sydney, the quickest option is the train from the airport.

Bon Voyage for your circumnavigation cruise.

If you have the time get the train to Newcastle.

The journey is a bit over two hours, and with a return rail ticket you can get off and have a walk around the Newcastle Port Foreshore, where there are bars, nice cafes and restaurants, and watch the ships coming in and going out.

The train goes from Central Station, the return fare will cost you about $20AUD each, and trains depart about every hour. I.M.H.O. it's a more scenic journey than the one going west to the Blue Mountains.

Also, go to Taronga Park Zoo, you get the ferry from Circular Quay.

Dick

Warning!

When you go on the Many ferry... Do not stand outside on the front of the ferry. We did on a recent visit. The ferry was crowded and we were enjoying the view from the front.

All was good until we came towards Sydney Heads and turned for Manly. The swells were huge. :eek::eek::eek:

Waves crashed over the front of the ferry and we got soaked to the skin! We could get away as people were blocking the exits to inside the ferry!

We had to buy new clothes at Manly as we didn't want to return to the hotel and waste time. Good excuse I suppose! Mobile phone was ruined also.

It is funny now but at the time it was scary with waves crashing over the bow.

Please don't let this stop you enjoying the trip, just stay inside or near the doors!

Apparently there was a warning by the captain, but we never heard it.

Gary...

Take a ferry to Manly too. It goes almost the whole length of the main harbour and there's a great beach once you get there. The views of the city on the return trip are fantastic.

Actually that is why one does ride in the front LOL Of course when one rides in front plastic bags should surround everything perishable! Those heads are amazing for the waves, but I'm not telling you anything new, am I?

Have a look at the video on the link for a travel program Getaway here in Australia. They did an interesting story last night on Sydney, and gives some good options on sights to see.

http://getaway.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1028866

This also is another link for Insiders guide to Sydney:

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/sydney

Archived