Pacific Dawn NYE 09/10

barnsey1802

Hi Everyone,

We returned yesterday from our NYE cruise on the pacific Dawn.

We started our holiday the day before in Brisbane staying at the Novotel where we meet up with some CC'ers. Tassie Cruiser & family & Jodez. It was great to meet before the cruise.

Embarkation day started with pouring rain in Brisbane:(, But it didn't dampen our excitement. We arrived at the wharf at about 11.30 and we were on board about an hour later. It was a bit of a trek around to the gang plank, but it seemed a much longer walk 12 days later......:D. The rain held off for sailaway which was good.

The second day we were informed that the ship had some problems with some pipes, and we needed to go to Noumea. The Captain explained that it they need to go the a shop like Bunnings and get a part:confused:. We docked at Noumea late afternoon, and we were supposed to leave at about 11pm that night, However we were still there the next morning. We were then told that we would be leaving at 5pm that afternoon. we were let off in the evening, and we went on a bus to the lookout etc, but we didn't want to wonder around at night, so we went back to the ship.The next day the ship offered free buses to Lemon bay, which was nice, the beach there was pretty.

We left Noumea at 5pm and was then told because of the delay we would miss Isle Of Pines, and would be heading straight to our next port of Mystery Island. Of course the complaints started:(. The ship had to be fixed & we didn't miss a port, we just changed one, So I was ok with that. The next day we were given $25 ea on board credit (13 & up) for the missed port, which I thought was very generous. They didn't have to give us anything. Of course there we people who weren't happy with that either:mad:

Anyway NYE was awesome. We had had some rain in the evening & it was

reallly windy, so the party was held in the dome. There was some talk as to where the Jewel's party would have been held if they had the same weather conditions, as they don't have the dome.

Overall my family and I had a wonderful time. We did this cruise last year from Sydney, and even though it was the same ship we did a lot more this time. last year we didn't try things like the grill & the steakhouse, but this year we did. The Steakhouse was the best meal I had. Well worth the cost.

The highlight however, was our trip to a little village in Suva. We visited the children & handed out lollies & tennis balls etc. the children were so excited & it made us all remember how lucky we really are.

One thing I have to mention is that sailing away under the Sydney harbour bridge was much better than the one in Brisbane. (Ducking For Cover).

Deidre.:)

Hate to be cynical but this near new twenty year old superliner:rolleyes: will not be getting any better, it reminds me when you hold on to a old automobile.

By the way were you offered any compensation other than a free bus to the beach, and how come you got wet embarking, don't they have covered walkways?

Hate to be cynical but this near new twenty year old superliner:rolleyes: will not be getting any better, it reminds me when you hold on to a old automobile.

By the way were you offered any compensation other than a free bus to the beach, and how come you got wet embarking, don't they have covered walkways?

The poster stated in her post that they received $25 per person 13+ compensation for the change of itinerary. That's more than P&O were required to provide. Unfortunately these things do happen - even to the best & newest ships.

The covered gangway in Brisbane is broken (has been for months), the operators of the wharf are still waiting for a part for it to come from overseas to repair it. Until this arrives, embarkation and disembarkation in Brisbane will remain uncovered!

We got a little wet embarking because the undercover awnings had gaps in between.

Wasn't too bad though.

no other compensation other than the free buses & the onboard credit.....I didn't expect anything in compensation, so I was happy with what we got.

Deidre.

Any cruise is a good one mate.

Depends on your attitude:eek:

When are you going on one?

Well said David,

On the last day we were talking to a lovely lady who had tripped over in suva & broke her ankle. dispite her misfortune she still never complained. she told us that the taxi driver that bought her back to the ship had lost everything in the recent cyclone. she said 'I only have a sore leg, I will heal". People like that make my cruise all that more enjoyable.

Deidre.

One thing I have to mention is that sailing away under the Sydney harbour bridge was much better than the one in Brisbane. (Ducking For Cover).

Deidre.:)

No argument from this Brisbanite Deidre - the Sydney Harbour Bridge beats the Gateway Bridge hands down!! We sailed under both on our recent cruise to Fremantle from Brisbane - and there's no comparision.

Thanks for the post Deidre.

My sister was also on that cruise and was appreciative of the OBC of $25.00

As said you didn't miss a port, it just got changed. My last cruise left over 8 hours late and had 2 ports cancelled and we received no type of OBC, but then I didn't expect anything. That happens when you travel. Things don't always go to plan but you enjoy what you can do as well.;)

Hi Everyone,

We returned yesterday from our NYE cruise on the pacific Dawn.

We started our holiday the day before in Brisbane staying at the Novotel where we meet up with some CC'ers. Tassie Cruiser & family & Jodez. It was great to meet before the cruise.

Embarkation day started with pouring rain in Brisbane:(, But it didn't dampen our excitement. We arrived at the wharf at about 11.30 and we were on board about an hour later. It was a bit of a trek around to the gang plank, but it seemed a much longer walk 12 days later......:D. The rain held off for sailaway which was good.

The second day we were informed that the ship had some problems with some pipes, and we needed to go to Noumea. The Captain explained that it they need to go the a shop like Bunnings and get a part:confused:. We docked at Noumea late afternoon, and we were supposed to leave at about 11pm that night, However we were still there the next morning. We were then told that we would be leaving at 5pm that afternoon. we were let off in the evening, and we went on a bus to the lookout etc, but we didn't want to wonder around at night, so we went back to the ship.The next day the ship offered free buses to Lemon bay, which was nice, the beach there was pretty.

We left Noumea at 5pm and was then told because of the delay we would miss Isle Of Pines, and would be heading straight to our next port of Mystery Island. Of course the complaints started:(. The ship had to be fixed & we didn't miss a port, we just changed one, So I was ok with that. The next day we were given $25 ea on board credit (13 & up) for the missed port, which I thought was very generous. They didn't have to give us anything. Of course there we people who weren't happy with that either:mad:

Anyway NYE was awesome. We had had some rain in the evening & it was

reallly windy, so the party was held in the dome. There was some talk as to where the Jewel's party would have been held if they had the same weather conditions, as they don't have the dome.

Overall my family and I had a wonderful time. We did this cruise last year from Sydney, and even though it was the same ship we did a lot more this time. last year we didn't try things like the grill & the steakhouse, but this year we did. The Steakhouse was the best meal I had. Well worth the cost.

The highlight however, was our trip to a little village in Suva. We visited the children & handed out lollies & tennis balls etc. the children were so excited & it made us all remember how lucky we really are.

Deidre.

What an enjoyable read. Its so refreshing to hear even though things didnt go quite to plan, you still made the most of it...It complete amazes me that people complain when things go wrong despite the fact its no-ones fault...wish more passengers were like you. Welcome home!:)

Thanks Cazz,

I have to admit I'm suffering the post cruise blues right about now.The first morning back is always the worst, no one to cook breakfast.....lol

Sandy,

I see you are heading to New Zealand soon, I will look forward to your review, as we are going on the sun princess later this year.

Deidre.

With your attitude things will not change, you will get the hand me downs that break down, miss ports and pay top dollar for this experience. If this is all you want good luck to you!

Thanks Cazz,

I have to admit I'm suffering the post cruise blues right about now.The first morning back is always the worst, no one to cook breakfast.....lol

Sandy,

I see you are heading to New Zealand soon, I will look forward to your review, as we are going on the sun princess later this year.

Deidre.

I guess I'd better get myself organised to write one, hadn't I? Will try to write down things everyday so I don't forget. Mind you, that's if I have time. ;) DH and I plan to have a great time - no-one is going to call us old fuddy-duddies! :D:D:D

Hi David - miss your photos on the other place. (There is never any nastiness there - reviews tell of the good and the bad without rancour.)

Deirdre, I should have said before that it was refreshing to read your review as Cazz said. I have read many lately (not only here) and you are the only one to tell us that you had free buses to Lemon Bay and that you were all given $25 OBC. :)

Beautiful review! I think most of us are the same, the cruise experience is what matters! Like you said, that attitude is so spot on, it's sometimes so easy for us to forget how lucky it is that we simply live in Australia, let alone are able to "pay top dollar" to go on a cruise!!

So, we are in that final 6 weeks stage where we start daydreaming about EVERYTHING and we have one question about cruising out of Brisbane! What's the deal with Sailaway? In Sydney the party seems to patter off when you pass the heads (or maybe thats just when it got too cold for everyone on our cruise!:p) What about In Brisbane?

Do you see much of Caloundra?...actually I'm sure you were to busy settling in to look!

Thanks again for the post, made me 70% more excited!!!

Hi Scotty,

I am not sure how long the sailaway party lasted as I was getting ready for dinner. I love the dining room, and had booked for 6 pm. I think that not long after you head out under the bridge the party does start to taper off. Also most peopele have received their luggage by now, so maybe everyone is unpacking. I know I can't start to really enjoy my cruise until I am upacked.

No sorry. I didn't see Caloundra.

Deidre.

We are going cruising in April, I rang the cruise line and mentioned attitude the fella said he never heard of it, they only take Visa, MasterCard American Express and of course my hard earned cash.

Spot on review Deidre, didn't we have an awesome time??

We were all upset that we didn't get to say goodbye to you guys, so thanks for your company and all the good times, look forward to many more!!

Brenton says................ go Dickie!!!! :D

Hi Jody,

Yes sorry we missed you. We were held up at disembarktion, because one of our bags was on a later truck. I was hoping to see you then. We got to see Neicy & Ron, Joe & Fiona & Kids & I saw Mandy too.

Dylan has been wanting to call Jack, but his phone is off. I will get him to email him later.

Thanks also for the great company.

Deidre.

We are going cruising in April, I rang the cruise line and mentioned attitude the fella said he never heard of it, they only take Visa, MasterCard American Express and of course my hard earned cash.

Somebody needs to take a chill pill:(

My family group of 12 also had a great time on the NYE cruise, I am not a fan of Noumea but these things cant be helped so we just made the best of it.

We loved Port Denarau it was our first visit there. I had a massage there 40 mins for $25A a great bargain after my massage on the ship (I usually treat myself to a couple on board but the lady I had was so pushy I stuck to the 1 on board - 1st time I had ever been asked forcefully for a tip).

We saw the New Year in in the Atrium - a great atmosphere and a good time. Sadly after 39 P & O cruises Mum has decided this was her last one, Dawn is too big and too much walking for her she says, so hoping Charmain can get time off work to take her place on NZ cruise in Nov.

The thing that surprised us was the price the horses went for, all over $700 and the bingo jackpot over $14000, I still needed 2 nos!:)

Hi rockie,

Yes bingo can be frustrating. On our cruise however it was a lucky day for 8 people in one session. Half way through the fourth game one day, it was discovered that no number under 80 was being drawn.....After much discussion by staff etc it was decided that the whole 5 games would be replayed. New tickets were issued and the prize money for each game was the same, so 3 extra people were very lucky that day...bingo went for 2 hours.

Even more frustrating was the woman that yelled bingo on the last day , with a jackpot of over 14,000 only to find out her husband maked off a number that wasn't called.... our hearts went out to her.:(

Deidre.

Hi rockie,

Even more frustrating was the woman that yelled bingo on the last day , with a jackpot of over 14,000 only to find out her husband maked off a number that wasn't called.... our hearts went out to her.:(

Deidre.

Yes we felt sorry for her too! I bet that is one husband that was in the doghouse for the rest of the day.:D

Just remembered a couple of nasty incidents from the cruise - in Vila a passenger had an argument with a taxi driver over a quoted price and he hit her across the back of the head, police were called and he was taken away, the locals were real cranky about his behaviour.

On board a lady had just bought some jewellery for her grandchildren, went out on Deck 7, put bag down to help a wheelchair passenger with the door and someone swiped the bag - they were pretty sure what the offender looked like and it was captured on camera footage but never heard if she was caught - what a low act!!!

Archived