Olympus EP-1

Cnd_Cruiser

I got one a month or so ago to use as my "take every where camera." Great little camera. I wanted more control and better image quality than a point and shoot, and it delivers. I haven't taken it on a cruise yet, but it is around my neck all times in the plane. My only small nit is that it doesn't turn itself off after a minute or so and one can burn through a charge easily.

original.jpg

Larry

...My only small nit is that it doesn't turn itself off after a minute or so and one can burn through a charge easily...

Larry, Check page 103 in the manual. http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-P1_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf

The SLEEP function can be set to 1, 3, 5 or 10 minutes.

Dave

My suggestion on any camera but especially with an expensive and niche camera such as the EP-1 is to try it before you buy it. I fooled around with one and I found it very awkward to use. It may be what I am used to but to me, the controls all seemed to be in the wrong places. With most cameras, I could adjust to them without a problem. I am not sure that I could do it with the EP-1.

You may love it - I would not buy one of them. Just my opinion.

DON

Larry, Check page 103 in the manual. http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/..._Manual_EN.pdf

Dave/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave. I looked and looked and read and read. Obviously I missed it.

And, Donald, I don't find the controls any less intuitive or harder to use than other small cameras - an SD 870 - is my only frame of reference. And, its obvious, I didn't read the manual close enough. :o

Larry

Larry, Check page 103 in the manual. http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/..._Manual_EN.pdf

Dave/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave. I looked and looked and read and read. Obviously I missed it.

And, Donald, I don't find the controls any less intuitive or harder to use than other small cameras - an SD 870 - is my only frame of reference. And, its obvious, I didn't read the manual close enough. :o

Larry

I have a Canon G9 (would love to get a G11), a Nikon D70 and a Nikon d300S, and my wife has a Canon SD1200. With all of them, I felt comfortable with the controls as soon as I picked up the cameras.

Camera feel is obviously totally personal taste which is why I would never buy a camera without trying it and once once you use a camera you get used to it. However, as I mentioned , I did not like the feel of the EP-1. Irrelevant of the camera feel, the EP-1 does not have an eye level viewfinder. To me, the absence of an eye level viewfinder is a total deal killer even if the feel of the camera was great.

DON

Archived