Is 1:30pm Seattle flight doable?

JHUNTGOLF

We will be on the Island Princess this summer. It is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver on Monday, August 23, at 7:30am. Princess says to not book a flight out of Seattle before 4pm. I just saw a pretty good airfare from Atlanta ($345 roundtrip) but the flight on August 23 leaves Seattle at 1:30pm. Assuming I can get off the ship by 8:30am, could I make a 1:30pm flight out of Seattle? Thanks for your help.

John

We will be on the Island Princess this summer. It is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver on Monday, August 23, at 7:30am. Princess says to not book a flight out of Seattle before 4pm. I just saw a pretty good airfare from Atlanta ($345 roundtrip) but the flight on August 23 leaves Seattle at 1:30pm. Assuming I can get off the ship by 8:30am, could I make a 1:30pm flight out of Seattle? Thanks for your help.

John

Only if you fly.

Youll need to let the cruise ship know you're an early flight..... so you can be one of the 1st groups off the cruise ship. Even if you're a late one..... most people are off the ship by 11 am so getting to the airport by noon and a flight at 1 is no problem. Just be ready in the morning when 'everyone else' has an early flight..... and you see them walking out to their cars in the morning!

John

It seems to me the replies that state you should be able to make it missed an important part of your post. You state you arrive in VANCOUVER at 7:30AM and your plane leaves at 1:30PM from SEATTLE. This is not doable if you plan on driving from Vancouver to SeaTac.

Coming from Vancouver? Did you fly or teleport?

You tell them, I stutter. They can't have driven or either the RCMP or the WSP would have pulled them over more than once. Yikes.

To the OP, please don't try this. Making a 1:30 flight is highly unlikely, unless you fly from YVR to SEA. Border crossing in the summer time can take several hours if there are lots of people crossing, and it is a 3-3.5 or 4 hour drive from the border to SEA-Tac, again depending on road conditions. I just would not risk it, particularly as you have to be at the airport 2 hours prior to flight time (i.e. 11:30)

Only doable if you fly YVR-SEA. You are talking about 150 miles..

The 1:30pm flight is cheaper for that reason. You can't get there 'day of' departing from a Vancouver cruise.

However, you may be money ahead by going down to Seattle, staying the night in an airport hotel and flying out on that 1:30 pm flight the next day.

Also if the current carry on baggage and security issues at Vancouver continue into the cruise season, you can count on many more people trying to fly out of Seattle after finishing a cruise in Vancouver. Also more people in general from Canada trying to fly out of Seattle.

That means higher air fares out of Seattle and longer waits at the border.

The 1:30pm flight is cheaper for that reason. You can't get there 'day of' departing from a Vancouver cruise.

However, you may be money ahead by going down to Seattle, staying the night in an airport hotel and flying out on that 1:30 pm flight the next day.

Also if the current carry on baggage and security issues at Vancouver continue into the cruise season, you can count on many more people trying to fly out of Seattle after finishing a cruise in Vancouver. Also more people in general from Canada trying to fly out of Seattle.

That means higher air fares out of Seattle and longer waits at the border.

I seriously doubt that the small number of passengers that travel to Seattle to catch their flight, day of cruise in Vancouver would affect pricing. Even 10 cruise ships worth of passengers is a mere drop in the bucket to the population of the Seattle-Vancouver corridor (which is probably close to 7 million people), along with traffic from Canada's largest seaport (Vancouver). The Douglas Crossing (Peace Arch), one of two major crossings Vancouver-Seattle, handles 2 million vehicles and 3 million people per year.

Also, the current "carry on baggage and security issues at Vancouver" only exist for those flights headed to the United States. This is not a Canadian problem, but something forced by the USA TSA on airlines operating to the United States.

The reasons for slightly higher airline costs in Canada are twofold. One, in Canada the infrastructure for airports and Air Traffic control is not subsidized to the extent that it is in the United States, so you'll see higher AIF(PFC) and a NAVigation charge on your ticket. Secondly, the United States charges about $30-35 for a foreign flight arriving in the USA for customs/immigration/agriculture inspection (note Canada does not have these charges for USA flights entering Canada)

Archived