Pick a couple of theme parks . . .

WouldBeCruiser

Hi everyone! We have 6 days in Orlando before we board for our cruise. Sure is hard to decide what to do and see. We wanted to go to a couple of theme parks but are undecided as to which to pick. There are so many.

We are four adults - like to have some fun, but not "roller coaster" type of rides.

Any recommendations?

We are leaning towards spending one day at Epcot and one day at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. Are the rides at these parks too scary for us chickens? Would appreciate your input.

I, too, would pick Universal and Epcot. I absolutely cannot stand Disney World and I'll never go again, but that's just me. Being an all-adult crowd, you might also enjoy MGM Studios which is the Disney equivalent of Universal. Personally, I like Universal just a little better - perhaps because they have some real roller coasters there.

Many of the rides at Universal and MGM are "visual" things, meaning you sit in a seat, often like a recliner, and the seat moves in its place and the movement is choreographed with what you are seeing on the screen in front of and around you, giving you the illusion that you are doing something like flying through the air, but you're actually sitting in a seat that never leaves its place. Interesting how well they've pulled this off. It always amazes me. That's the part of MGM and Universal I like. Both parks also have some of the real rides, too. From what I remember, Epcot was more of a visit around the world and an exploration of culture and foods, rather than rides. I think they may have had a few "into the future" kinds of things though - still, nothing violent that I can remember.

:) Epcot is and has always been my favorite park although I have never been to the Animal Kindgom so I can't tell you how good that one might be.

Epcot is totally awesome:D...it is part "Countries around the World"

and part a "Future" looking at life ahead really.

I love it there.:)

As for Disney, it is definitely kid oriented...after all, look at the main

character...Mickey;)

Seaworld is there as well....totally different than the other parks but still quite a lot of fun:)

Hi,

Adults? Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure two-park, multiple day pass is cheap. You'll love it, and can walk between the two parks.

Universal has all the expected movie-take off theme experiences, and Islands of Adventure has both virtual experiences, and some nice, not so violent coasters. The Hulk (very big, very fast coaster) is the exception.

The other coasters, Dueling Dragons (two moderate coasters with different coasters with a "race" theme), are pretty gentle. The vast majority of the attractions are more theme virtual events, like Spider Man, Men in Black, Terminator, Back to the Future, and numerous other "virtual rides" than suspend disbelief, but are not physically violent or scary.

AAA member? Good to great discounts at the AAA office in Orlando. They also have multiple day passes to other park combinations. Depending on the dates you are going, and the specials theyr run then, it can be worth the price of a AAA membership alone, frankly, if you are there for six days.

AAA South Office - Orlando Theme Park Tickets

http://www.aaasouth.com/travel/map_loc_attractions.aspx

Have fun.

Regards,

Johncn

You say you were thinking of visiting Universal Studios Island of Adventure? I don't know if you are meaning "Universal's Island of Adventure" or "Universal Studios" and "Universal's Island of Adventure" - They are 2 seperate parks located in the Universal Studios Resort. If you do not care for roller coasters or white-knuckle rides, Island of Adventure probably isn't your park.

As for Disney World, there is no park called "Disney World" or "Walt Disney World". Walt Disney World is the resort that contains 4 theme parks - "The Magic Kingdom", "Epcot", "Disney's Hollywood Studios and "Disney's Animal Kingdom". The resort also has 2 water parks, Downtown Disney -a huge shopping/entertainment complex, Disney's Wide World of Sports, golfing and 21 or so resort hotels. Of the parks, they all offer something for everyone. With the exception of 2 or 3 major thrill rides in each park, most disney attractions are pretty mid and entertaining. I would not rule out Magic Kingdom if you have never been. If you do plan to visit the WDW parks, your best bet would be to buy a Hopper Pass, which would allow you to park hop throughout the day. Just a thought.

Another option would be Sea World. Sea World does have a few thrill rides but the sea life and shows are great.

Busch Garden's Africa is sort of along the lines of Island of Adventure but with animals - If you want animals, your best bet is Animal Kingdom.

Joey, the last poster know his stuff. Islands of Adventure may not be your cup of tea, but the 2 day 2 park pass still may be the way to go. You need to do a little homework. Also, I don't think I would plan on being busy everyday. Take a day in the middle or end for a relaxing pool day, just to rest up for your cruise.

Rollie

I love the Universal Studio parks. Make sure and get the two park ticket that allows you to walk back and forth between the parks. If you stay at an on-site hotel http://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/hotels_how_to_book.aspx?ComponentId=10621&SourcePageId=7805#4 there are some nice perks.

Seaworld is also a good choice.

Of the Disney parks we like Animal Kingdom. You can buy a multi-day multipark ticket. This allows you to go back and forth between the parks during the day. Spend the morning wathing the parade at Magic Kingdom, have lunch at Animal Kingdom, and then have dinner at Epcot. There is free transport between the parks.

Any recommendations?

We are leaning towards spending one day at Epcot and one day at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. Are the rides at these parks too scary for us chickens? Would appreciate your input.

Epcot would be a fun choice. I highly recommend Test Trac while you are there...I'm a ride weenie and LOVE this attraction. Ellen Degenere's Universe of Energy is fun and completely mellow. Spaceship Earth (inside the big "ball") is fun as well and once again, geared towards the non-thrill seekers. Soarin of California is a MUST unless you have motion/vertigo issues. It's slow, gentle and very fun. But, my ALL TIME favorite at Epcot is Living with the Land boat ride. I'm sure there are some folks that are laughing right now. Just try it and see for yourself. Oh, and the Nemo ride is pretty darned cute! Both Norway and Mexico pavillions have small "rides" that are tame.

Epcot has some fantastic food venues! Advanced dining reservations are highly recommended as the restaurants can fill up quickly depending on the time of year and what promotions are going on. You can go to this website to search the restaurants at Disney World and make free reservations http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

If you aren't into thrill rides I would honestly skip Universal Studios IOA.

Animal Kingdom at Disneyworld has some great shows (Festival of the Lion King and Nemo) but the main attractions there (Expedition Everest and Dinosaur) are quite intense. The park is beautiful and filled with wonderful animals. If it's hot, you could take a ride on Kali River Rapids water raft ride...that will cool you off!

Disney's Hollywood Studios could be a fun choice as well. There are 2 thrill rides, which you can skip. But there are also lot's of interesting shows such as Indiana Jones, The Backlot Tour, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Car stunt show (the name is escaping me), Muppets 3-D and the evening spectacular, Fantasmic. Oh, and for the kid in you, take a ride on Toy Story Mania!

Let me know if I can answer any questions or help in any way.

Gina

I, too, would pick Universal and Epcot. I absolutely cannot stand Disney World and I'll never go again

:confused: I'm assuming you meant Magic Kingdom and not Disney World? Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are Disney World ;).

:confused: I'm assuming you meant Magic Kingdom and not Disney World? Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are Disney World ;).

Yes, when I was a kid, "Magic Kingdom" was pretty much just "Disney World" to us and apparently it has stuck with me. :) In fact, it took a while to get used to calling it Disney World since we had always know any Disney to be Disney Land. Now, we're talking way back!

Yes, when I was a kid, "Magic Kingdom" was pretty much just "Disney World" to us and apparently it has stuck with me. :) In fact, it took a while to get used to calling it Disney World since we had always know any Disney to be Disney Land. Now, we're talking way back!

Don't feel bad, I remember going to Knott's Berry Farm in Anaheim when it was a farm!!! Produce, petting zoo, pony rides, etc.

Over the past 5 years we have been to all of the theme parks throughout Orlando & Tampa. Last year we spent a week at Disney & our favorite 2 parks were Epcot & Animal Kingdom. Both are large parks with a wide of variety of things to do & see. I loved all of the rides at Epcot. The only one that might be too extreme is Mission Space. That ride made my husband & I feel a little sick. Both parks have multiple rides as well as exhibits to look at. I enjoyed both Universal parks, however Universal Islands of Adventure is definitely more of a thrill ride type of park. If you want to make the trip to Tampa I would highly recommend Busch Gardens. It has a good balance of thrill rides, beautiful landscaping, great food, & animal exhibits.

Archived