What are the "must see's around Anchorage?

cwatts15

We will be taking our cruise on the Diamond Princess on Saturday May 15th out of Whittier. We are flying in on the Wednesday before and on Thursday we are heading down to Seward take a Kenai Fjords 5 hour cruise and go to the Sealife Center. We are staying one night in Seward and then go back to Anchorage.

What are good places to see on the way back? What are some of the other "must see" things we can do around that area, Seward and Anchorage? Denali is out-too far. I was looking into Rust's Flying Service to take a flightseeing tour to Denali, but not sure.

We are in our 50's and are basically sightseers. No rafting, hiking etc..

I am so stumped. Several tours and places don't even open until after we leave on our cruise.

Any suggestions????

Thanks

When we were in Anchorage in late May ten years ago, we rented a car and drove down to Portage Glacier. Unfortunately the parking lot was still filled with the remnants of the previous winter's snowfall and the Visitors Center was not yet open for the season. I imagine you might encounter the same problem if you tried to visit earlier in May. The ride and scenery along Turnagain Arm was spectacular so the trip was still worthwhile. We did find the Native American Heritage Center fascinating and informative and Earthquake Park was worth a quick stop to view the displays of the effects of the Good Friday Earthquake of 1965.:)

You are very early for interior Alaska with a lot not open. I would do the flightseeing, since that is not "season" dependent. Stop when and where you want on the Seward Highway pull offs. For me, I would go out twice to Kenai Fjords. :)

Anchorage may offer you something? http://www.anchorage.net

We will be taking our cruise on the Diamond Princess on Saturday May 15th out of Whittier. We are flying in on the Wednesday before and on Thursday we are heading down to Seward take a Kenai Fjords 5 hour cruise and go to the Sealife Center. We are staying one night in Seward and then go back to Anchorage.

I strongly suggest that you change that to at least a 6 hour cruise. The shorter ones (yes, even the 5 hour ones) don't get out of the bay. You will miss a lot by not taking a 6 hour or longer tour.

We are doing a NB cruise the first of June, ending in Seward. We are doing the Kenai Fjords Nat. Park tour the day we disembark, taking the evening train to Anchorage, spending the night and flying out the following evening at 7:30pm. Will have most of the day for touring. I was thinking of going to the Anchorage Market and Festival. As I will not have much time for shopping at the ports we will be in during our cruise, I thought this would be a good place to pick up a few souvenirs to bring home. Just wondering if anyone has been there and if it is worth the time. I love going to craft shows we have in Georgia and from the website this seems to be like them.

I strongly suggest that you change that to at least a 6 hour cruise. The shorter ones (yes, even the 5 hour ones) don't get out of the bay. You will miss a lot by not taking a 6 hour or longer tour.

I want to take the 6 hour but have not found one being offered. The 5 hour is offered in the 2 for 1 in the tour saver book. I wish we could of gone on our cruise even 1 week later, but not possible. It was either go on the date I selected, or don't go. I chose go, and I will figure out the tours.

I am trying to book hotels now. Fly in, Anchorage-Hotel, Drive to Seward-Stay overnight, and then back to Anchorage, stay overnight. Then we will transfer to Whittier on Saturday. Also forgot to mention that we have free hotel in Anchorage with points, so I need to find something around Anchorage.

Thanks for all your suggestions

I want to take the 6 hour but have not found one being offered. The 5 hour is offered in the 2 for 1 in the tour saver book. I wish we could of gone on our cruise even 1 week later, but not possible. It was either go on the date I selected, or don't go. I chose go, and I will figure out the tours.

I am trying to book hotels now. Fly in, Anchorage-Hotel, Drive to Seward-Stay overnight, and then back to Anchorage, stay overnight. Then we will transfer to Whittier on Saturday. Also forgot to mention that we have free hotel in Anchorage with points, so I need to find something around Anchorage.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Is it an option for you to do a Northbound trip? Greatly superior touring options and my only recommendation in this timeframe. There are two coupon books available for purchase. A 6 hour trip is in one of them.

We are doing a NB cruise the first of June, ending in Seward. We are doing the Kenai Fjords Nat. Park tour the day we disembark, taking the evening train to Anchorage, spending the night and flying out the following evening at 7:30pm. Will have most of the day for touring. I was thinking of going to the Anchorage Market and Festival. As I will not have much time for shopping at the ports we will be in during our cruise, I thought this would be a good place to pick up a few souvenirs to bring home. Just wondering if anyone has been there and if it is worth the time. I love going to craft shows we have in Georgia and from the website this seems to be like them.

Heck I've been going every year since it opened and sometimes more than once :D What started out as just being on Saturdays now is for Saturdays and Sundays.

I usually go on Saturdays and go when they first open which is 10 a.m. Because sometimes about 11 or so the cruise line buses start letting people off plus the Hilton (which is catty corner from the Market) is Holland America and Princess' cruise hotel) so there can be a big influx of people at once, though it really never seems too crowded.

Some of the vendors have been there since it opened and always something new each year for me to peruse.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Hope before you finalize every thing you give some consideration to the Alaska Rail Road either to or from Seward. This is an absolute must do trip. Agree with all on the 6 hr Kenai trip. 9hr can become a little long but the short tours NO.

We also had time to do the farmer's market or festival which think was across the street from the train station before the train to Whittier. Be sure to take some rain gear for Whittier.

Unless you are on the go all the time you will time to shop in Ketchikan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked for 6 hour tours of Kenai Fjords but none are available before May 15th. I can do the 5 hour Resurrection Bay tour and use my tour saver coupon. So I guess that is the best I can do. As for the train, it does not run until the 15th or 16th to Seward. So I am also out of luck their. We will just rent a car and drive to Seward. Take the cruise, and see the Sealife center. The next day we can maybe see Exit glacier and then head back to Anchorage. On Saturday we can go to the Market festival before heading to Whittier. What is the best way to get their? Pricess shuttle or pvt companies? How far is the Turnigan Arm area or Portage glacier from Anchorage? Wonder if we will have time on our drive back to Anchorage?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. They are very helpful!!!

How far is the Turnigan Arm area or Portage glacier from Anchorage? Wonder if we will have time on our drive back to Anchorage?

You are driving right by it, twice, with your proposed Anchorage/ Seward trip. Portage glacier requires a boat ride to see, it has receeded significantly. But the visitor center is very interesting and worth a stop. About 1 1/4 hours from Anchorage.

I have looked for 6 hour tours of Kenai Fjords but none are available before May 15th. I can do the 5 hour Resurrection Bay tour and use my tour saver coupon. So I guess that is the best I can do. As for the train, it does not run until the 15th or 16th to Seward. So I am also out of luck their. We will just rent a car and drive to Seward. Take the cruise, and see the Sealife center. The next day we can maybe see Exit glacier and then head back to Anchorage. On Saturday we can go to the Market festival before heading to Whittier. What is the best way to get their? Pricess shuttle or pvt companies? How far is the Turnigan Arm area or Portage glacier from Anchorage? Wonder if we will have time on our drive back to Anchorage?

For what its worth, my wife and I are May 15th diamond cruisers as well and the day of the cruise were taking the Train from Anchorage to Whittier. Suppose to be very scenic and beautiful ride

Just in case you'd like to fit the train in as well

ever seen a tidal bore (actually i have a friend and that's the name of his radio show) or a bore tide? they occur at extreme low tides (full moon and new moon). turnagain arm is a most excellent place to view a natural phenomena. they are predictable so check to see if your visit coincides.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/bore-tides.cfm

the forest station at gridweird (girdwood) overlooks turnagain allowing you to see the big picture. worth a stop even if there's no bore tide.

Archived