Tarquinia Worth a Visit?

Podie

I have been to Rome several times and toured the Vatican Scavi and the catacombs. Would it still be worthwhile for me to visit Tarquinia before boarding our ship? I was thinking of using Rome cabs rather than taking the train, and they offered this excursion on the way to the port.

There have been a few discussions about Tarquinia on this board. I suggest you "search" Tarquinia or, you can check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085006

I am planning on renting a car during our 1 day in Citivecchia and driving out to this town. It sounds interesting.

Don't rent a car! Take the public buses. Same amount of time and far less money!

I have been to Rome several times and toured the Vatican Scavi and the catacombs. Would it still be worthwhile for me to visit Tarquinia before boarding our ship? I was thinking of using Rome cabs rather than taking the train, and they offered this excursion on the way to the port.

In a few words, Yes and yes!

Of course this assumes that you vist the musuem and catacombs.

Don't rent a car! Take the public buses. Same amount of time and far less money!

I agree, if Tarquinia is the only place you intend to visit from Civitavecchia.

It might be nice to have a car in order to both visit Tarquinia and drive around the countryside a little, perhaps driving down to see Ostia Antica, or futher east to Viterbo or other towns.

Of the three main ports on the west coast of Italy (Naples, Civitavecchia, and Livorno), I think Civitavecchia is the easiest of the three to drive in and out of, as it's smaller, a town as opposed to a city.

• 6 months later...

I am planning to arrive a day early ( it will be on a Wednesday) and spending one night pre-cruise in Civitavecchia. I have been to Rome twice before and although I haven't completely ruled out a third visit, I am considering another alternative. After reading this post and some others, I think I might like to spend the day visiting Tarquinia.

Could someone please provide some information on how to get to Tarquinia? I really don't want to rent a car, so a route for bus or train would be great!

I am also open to any other suggestions!:)

Thanks!

Here is what I posted on the link eariler on this thread. The bus had Tarqunia on it and when you return it will say Civitecchia. The return bus was 10 minutes early. There is a IT right as you enter the town where you can find out when the return bus leaves and get a map. There is also a bus that will take you to the tombs but it doesn't run frequently so we just walked.

"Since we have been to Rome twice and it’s a long ride there we decided to go to the walled town of Tarquinia. We took the local bus to the walled city whose claim to fame is it’s painted Etruscan tombs. We took the free port shuttle to the port exit and crossed the street to the McDonalds. We continued past the McD to the next road where there is a newspaper stand. This is where we purchased our tickets. The bus was 2euros each way. We bought the return ticket also. A little further down the road across the street from the Church of Santa Fransisco is the bus stop. We caught the 10:04 bus which was right on time. It was an enjoyable 30 minute bus ride to the town where we stopped in at the IT just inside the wall to get a map. We first visited the Archaeological Museum which is in an old palace. The museum was 6 euros but in combination with the necropolis it is 8 euros. We then walked up the street to the plaza and turned right to exit the wall to get to the necropolis. About a half mile outside the wall is the Necropolis where there are about 20 tombs open underground to look at. The tombs have paintings on the walls that date back to 500BC. After seeing several of the tombs we walked back to town. We just missed the 1:30 bus so we explored the town a little and caught the 2:50 bus which was 5 minutes early. It was lucky we missed the 1:30 bus because walking around the town was very nice. There was a park on the far side with beautiful views of the valley. Both the museum and the necropolis have clean bathrooms."

Pictures here: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/267...01391319SsmPpL

We used Rome Cabs for the stop in Tarquinia on the way to the ship - there were 8 of us in Oct 2009. It was a wonderful way to begin our trip. Rome Cabs picked up the 4 couples staying in 4 different hotels. We stopped first at the etruscan tombs which were very well preserved and very interesting - the location is just beautiful too overlooking beautiful valleys. We then went into town and were given time to walk around the museum and the quaint little town. We then drove to a local establishment outside of Tarquinia for a wine and olive oil tasting plus lunch - some of the best food I have ever had! We were the only English speaking folks there - the rest were local Italian families out for Sunday lunch. They actually brought in their only English speaking employee to do our tour, tasting and take our lunch orders. We then went downstairs for a tasting of their liquers and had an opportunity to buy wine and olive oil. We were to the ship by about 3 PM. I would do it again using Rome Cabs.

Marianne

We continued past the McD to the next road where there is a newspaper stand. This is where we purchased our tickets. The bus was 2euros each way. We bought the return ticket also.

Pictures here: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/267...01391319SsmPpL

Thanks for the information Eileen G! I thought I had read somewhere that tickets are no longer available at newstands in Civi. Is this case? If so, where does one buy them?

Thanks!

Archived