Question about carrying wine onboard

itzkelly

I am traveling with two other friends and I know the limit is one bottle of wine per person in the cabin. My question is, if we are in separate lines going through the scanners with our carry-ons, is there any way for those checking our bags to know if all three of us are carrying on 3 bottles of wine? For instance, when my bags are checked, if I tell them I am carrying on 3 bottles because there are 3 of us in our room over 21, would they think twice about this and insist on checking to see if my two friends do NOT have bottles of wine with them in their carry-ons? If we are all checking in at different times, would they just let this pass or would they only allow ME to bring on 1 bottle of wine?

(I know we can simply check them in our luggage, but I don't want to worry about glass breaking in my bag, nor put wine in a rum runner). :)

Thanks for your advice and/or experiences with this!

Kelly

I had mine and my wifes 2 bottles in my carry on. They sent it through the scanner, and asked me what it was. I told them it was wine for my wife and myself. He sent me through.

The next person that went through had a bottle of hard liquor. He noticed the difference in the bottle, made them take it out,and confiscated it right there.

I'm sure they see enough of this that if you explained that it was wine for everyone in your party, they would understand.

I am traveling with two other friends and I know the limit is one bottle of wine per person in the cabin. My question is, if we are in separate lines going through the scanners with our carry-ons, is there any way for those checking our bags to know if all three of us are carrying on 3 bottles of wine?

Kelly

When I boarded with my wife and son, I carried 3 bottles and they barely noticed. This was embarking in NYC.

DH & I take enough for 1/2 bottle per day - in other words, an 8 day cruise, 4 bottles for dinner. Our wine is better quality than what is available onboard and we have fun picking out wines for dinner prior to our cruise. This is over the limit and we pack half in our carry on and half in our checked. We use bubble wrap and also wrap in clothes in our luggage and have never had a problem. On our last cruise we were never charged a corkage fee, but on previous cruises we have been charged.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Sort of in keeping with this topic...When I bring wine onboard, can we get glasses from the cabin Steward? Just ask for a couple glasses in a bar? Some other source?

Most of the time, the cabin steward has seen the bottles and provided wine glasses before I even asked. You will also see glasses on the cabin steward's carts in the hallways.

Thanks for the info on the wine! This will be our very first cruise and we're planning on each bringing a bottle. Do you have to pay the corking fee if you drink it in your room, or just if you bring it to the Dining Room? Thanks!

just the dining room.. we usually fill our glass from the room before we head down the dining room and avoid the corkage fee that way :)

Thanks for the info on the wine! This will be our very first cruise and we're planning on each bringing a bottle. Do you have to pay the corking fee if you drink it in your room, or just if you bring it to the Dining Room? Thanks!

No corking fee in your room. You may not get charged it in the dining room, especially if you've been tipping your head waiter, and you ask him to open it.

You may want to bring a corkscrew to open it, I remember having trouble finding one on my first cruise.

I have been on 5 cruises and taken a box of wine on all but one. It's not the greatest wine, but it is nice to have in the cabin.

At first I assumed you meant a box of wine bottles (usually a dozen). You mean a boxed wine, don't you. And the other post talking about 2 boxes of wine is 2 boxed wines. My eyes were quite wide trying to imagine a 12pack of wine in a suitcase:eek: Not correcting your english by the way- just trying to clarify my confusion and astonishment.

At first I assumed you meant a box of wine bottles (usually a dozen). You mean a boxed wine, don't you. And the other post talking about 2 boxes of wine is 2 boxed wines. My eyes were quite wide trying to imagine a 12pack of wine in a suitcase:eek: Not correcting your english by the way- just trying to clarify my confusion and astonishment.

My old boss used to bring a case of wine.. yes 12 bottles onboard.. i cant imagine how heavy that must have been to lug from the airport to the ship to the porters... no thanks LOL.. but they drank a bottle everynight at dinner paid the corkage fee and never got stopped

Archived