what to do in Trinidad?

marie&rick

• 1 month later...

Id also like to know what else there is to do....I think everyone from the ship will be at Marcus Bay!! I have not heard of anything else....on your own. Just that traffic is terrible and expect 45 minutes one way to Marcus Bay.:eek:

MA-RA-CAS.

Pronunciation guide: Mah-rah-cass. Maracas!

Trinidad is one of those ports of call where a ship's tour --"expensive" though it may seem--

begins to look like a very good possibility. ;)

Trinidad is a large island of around 1,860 square miles.

This is not Antigua, or Barbados, where you can whip around the island in two to three hours!

Trinidad is not a 'beach island': neither is Dominica for that matter.

From a Great Northern Tourist perspective, Maracas is just about the only suitable beach.

Thus all the suggestions in the direction of Maracas Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think traveling (on your own) is okay to get to Maracus Bay??

The ship excursion is 59pp.:eek:

Is there taxis waiting to take you back to port (since it appears many travel here from ship).

If so, ~how much would a taxi ride be and would it be a good idea to pool a group for a van??

Thanks in advance...

Kris

For an extra $6, ($65pp) you can book with Banwari Tours. Their North Coast Hop and Beach Stop tour includes a full city tour, a bake and shark sandwich lunch at Maracas beach (delish!), with 1 1/2 hours for the beach and awesome scenic drive on the way back by a different route. It was from 9am to 3:30. We did this last week in a minivan with ten other people from our ship and it was excellent, excellent! They may use a taxi for a smaller group. Our driver was Andrew and Banwari formed the group from individual inquiries from people on our ship. We were lucky and had an unexpected stop at a metal worker's shop who designs costumes for Carnivale amonst other things. Had a couple of other stops and bought cocoa and homemade cookies (read candy).

Just check out their website and send them an email. They operate out of the hotel immediately on the right next to the pier. As soon as you step foot on the sidewalk out of the terminal area, look to your right and you're there! Couldn't be easier. Most enjoyable.

OP - See what else they have to offer.

• 1 month later...
Id also like to know what else there is to do....I think everyone from the ship will be at Marcus Bay!! I have not heard of anything else....on your own. Just that traffic is terrible and expect 45 minutes one way to Marcus Bay.:eek:

THIS WAS THE THREAD....MAR-A-CAS....

Now I will have to visit Marcus Bay when I am in St Thomas again!! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Trinidad, and it is true what they're saying, this is not a Beach island. However, the east coast has beatiful beach landscapes (Atlantic side, so no snorkeling).

If I were you, I would find a tourist agency and book a "Down D Islands" of a fishing tour. They take you in a nice boat to some secluded beaches in small surrounding islands (That belong to T&T).

I hope it works

• 2 weeks later...
Last time we went to Trinidad, we went to Maracas beach. We had a great time but are wondering if there is another beach where we would be able to snorkle.

you must visit the pitch lake and for beaches;Manzalina and Toco are the best!!!

you must visit the pitch lake and for beaches;Manzalina and Toco are the best!!!
Please take this advice with a pinch of salt.

If you are staying long term on the island

yes a trip out to Toco, Manzanilla or the Pitch Lake can be interesting

and you'll see a lot of the island en route!

Mayaro-2500.jpg

Nice beach, but it's a looong way out!!

My point is, you'll be spending hours in transit to get to these locations.

I don't think the poster has considered that cruisers have limited time ashore

and they face the prospect of being left behind on an empty dock.

Trinidad is no little Caribbean island, and those places recommended are far-flung,trust me

I've visited all three locations(while staying on the island)

and they all involve several hours driving to get there! ;)

Archived