The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Leaving out of Port Canavral one day prior to my cruise. I'm looking for a nice hotel, with a pool and preferably on the beach or within a short walk to a beach, and a short taxi ride or shuttle to the Port. Any suggestions?

Go to the first page and it will give you all the information you are looking for

Does there happen to be an actual link for The Cove so we can find out what all is there?

thanks for any help

The Cove which is located on Glen Cheek Drive is where Milligans, Rusty, Grills, Fishlips restaurants are = also located there are the fishing boats - day and night fishing, private and public chartering - The Sun Cruz gambling ship use to be there, but went under.

The only link that I know of is posted on the front page under the chamber of commerce.

The Cove is just a named picked for that one street and that is about it.

I posted this on the other thread, but didn't get much feedback, so if it is okay, I'll ask again.

We return from a trip on the Monarch on Dec 31...our plan was to head to Downtown Disney for New Years, but wanted to see what is available at Cocoa Beach as an alternative ? Any thing/any place interesting ?

Thanks

David:D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

Just curious...has anyone had a bad experience doing the Park and Sail in Port Canaveral? I sure don't want to come home and my vehicle be stolen. Also, if we stay at the Radison and are shuttled to the ship...does the shuttle know when to pick us up?

I posted this on the other thread, but didn't get much feedback, so if it is okay, I'll ask again.

We return from a trip on the Monarch on Dec 31...our plan was to head to Downtown Disney for New Years, but wanted to see what is available at Cocoa Beach as an alternative ? Any thing/any place interesting ?

Thanks

David:D

Hello David - all of the places here offer all types of New Year parties, but the younger crowd head over to Orlando - as time gets closer, you can go to our local newspaper

Florida Today and it will give you and insight as to what will be going on - sorry I couldn't help better than this since I stay home and watch all the excitement from my front porch

:-))

First I have to admit that I am not going on a cruise. I went on one last year and can't wait to go again, but this year will not do.

I was thinking Cocoa, because I am from Orlando and am familiar with that beach, all the other girls are from Missouri. Anyway my reason for posting is we are looking for the best hotel to stay in that is ON the beach.

Also, they would like it to be within walking distance of fun stuff to do. So I was thinking somewhere near the pier. Any ideas?

This Missouri Girl recommends Mystic Vista condos. They're not really near anything to walk to except Jetty Park which is great to walk and watch the ships leave, the snack bar is decent, and if there happens to be a launch - you can see right from the beach. Depending on which one you rent, you could have an ocean view. They are a great place to be for a weekend or a longer. Done both. Going again in May for a week and in October for a weekend.

This Missouri Girl recommends Mystic Vista condos. They're not really near anything to walk to except Jetty Park which is great to walk and watch the ships leave, the snack bar is decent, and if there happens to be a launch - you can see right from the beach. Depending on which one you rent, you could have an ocean view. They are a great place to be for a weekend or a longer. Done both. Going again in May for a week and in October for a weekend.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they very expensive due to the fact they are privately owned??

Thanks

My husband, children (11 & 8) and I are taking a Florida/Bahamas 7 day cruise from NY. We have an afternoon and evening stopover on a Monday (mid-March) at Port Canaveral. We don't want to book an excursion to Orlando because we've vacationed there several times. We really just want to play it by ear and head to a nearby beach if the weather is good. The ship has an excursion to Cocoa Beach where there is also a pool and hot tub but I think we can save some money by doing our own thing. I understand from my research that there is a trolley bus which leaves from the ship docks and goes to Cocoa Beach, but I can't figure out where the best area to get off the bus is. My children and very good swimmers and this will be their first chance to swim in an ocean. Where is the spot on the beach near the pool, or is there a better spot to spend the afternoon? Should we get off the bus near Ron Jon's? TIA

Don't think the regular bus (trolley) makes a stop at the pier so you would have to take a cab.

You could take a cab to the Radisson and then take the trolley to Ron Jons but it won't save money because you would have to pay for all of your party on the trolley and it's only about another 3 or 4 miles to Ron Jons then head to the beach another block east.

The nearest beach with facility's is probably near Ron Jons at A-1-A and Route 520 about 8 miles from the port.

No pool.

Plenty of places to eat and shop at 520 and A-1-A.

Edited by seashells

My husband, children (11 & 8) and I are taking a Florida/Bahamas 7 day cruise from NY. We have an afternoon and evening stopover on a Monday (mid-March) at Port Canaveral. We don't want to book an excursion to Orlando because we've vacationed there several times. We really just want to play it by ear and head to a nearby beach if the weather is good. The ship has an excursion to Cocoa Beach where there is also a pool and hot tub but I think we can save some money by doing our own thing. I understand from my research that there is a trolley bus which leaves from the ship docks and goes to Cocoa Beach, but I can't figure out where the best area to get off the bus is. My children and very good swimmers and this will be their first chance to swim in an ocean. Where is the spot on the beach near the pool, or is there a better spot to spend the afternoon? Should we get off the bus near Ron Jon's? TIA

If you will go to the front of this thread and read all the information listed as to what to do, where to go, what to see etc, it really will answer all your questions - I did want to add that the nearest beach where you can hang out is the Jetties which is less than 3 miles from the port - in fact you will see it on your left side as you enter the ship channel.

They have food, fishing, nice bathrooms, trailer park, nature's walk etc.

Just a thought

Edited by snelsonbrown

If you will go to the front of this thread and read all the information listed as to what to do, where to go, what to see etc, it really will answer all your questions - I did want to add that the nearest beach where you can hang out is the Jetties which is less than 3 miles from the port - in fact you will see it on your left side as you enter the ship channel.

They have food, fishing, nice bathrooms, trailer park, nature's walk etc.

Just a thought

Shirley - you mentioned fishing and that reminded me of a question that I've been trying to find an answer to for quite a while. I read somewhere (can't remember where since I've been research all over the internet).... that out-of-state people can fish from the pier without a FL fishing license. Do you know if this is correct? I've jotted down the # for Jettie Park to call & ask them... but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Shirley - you mentioned fishing and that reminded me of a question that I've been trying to find an answer to for quite a while. I read somewhere (can't remember where since I've been research all over the internet).... that out-of-state people can fish from the pier without a FL fishing license. Do you know if this is correct? I've jotted down the # for Jettie Park to call & ask them... but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I really don't know so I better not try to answer that question, but I am SURE you will get some input on the fishing license. It sure makes sense to me - the jetties are really nice - I have been going there since the 60's and there is sooooooooo much to do there even if it is just to relax - I love the water there and like walking out on the pier - none of that of course was there when my kids were growing up, but then it was free also - I really believe you will enjoy it unless THIS DARN COLD WEATHER WILL GO AWAY AND WE CAN HAVE SUN AGAIN.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Hello David - all of the places here offer all types of New Year parties, but the younger crowd head over to Orlando - as time gets closer, you can go to our local newspaper

Florida Today and it will give you and insight as to what will be going on - sorry I couldn't help better than this since I stay home and watch all the excitement from my front porch

:-))

Thank you Shirley...Good idea...

I booked airfare to Orlando but rates for my return do not come out until March 23. What would be a safe time to catch a flight home after my cruise if I do the car rental to the airport?

im looking into booking our airfare to/from orlando...so, did u only book 1 way at a time? is it cheaper?

Sailing on RCCL's Monarch 4/19. Flying down 4/18, arriving 8:30pm. Reviewing transportation options from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral hotel on the 18th. Any thoughts/experiences between Space Port Transport or Cocoa Beach Taxi?

Also, I can get an employee discount at Comfort Inn & Suites or Quality Inn. Any thoughts/experiences on these? Do either offer transportation to the port?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Robin

im looking into booking our airfare to/from orlando...so, did u only book 1 way at a time? is it cheaper?

I used South West and paid $69 from Buffalo to Orlando. Rates do not come out until March 23 for my return. I find they are the cheapest airline around and I love them since they dont charge for a checked in bag.

Sailing on RCCL's Monarch 4/19. Flying down 4/18, arriving 8:30pm. Reviewing transportation options from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral hotel on the 18th. Any thoughts/experiences between Space Port Transport or Cocoa Beach Taxi?

Also, I can get an employee discount at Comfort Inn & Suites or Quality Inn. Any thoughts/experiences on these? Do either offer transportation to the port?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Robin

Hello Robin as far as the shuttles named are concern, I know that Cocoa Beach Taxi will give a 10% discount if you mention this board.

As far as discounts, Quality Inn is sister to the Radisson and 4 Points and do not know if any of them really give discounts - I would give them a call to find out and as offering transportation to the port, they will call a shuttle service for you except Quality inn you will be taken to the Radisson and board their shuttle to the port.

sorry I couldn't be more help

Hi, I've studied the map at Port Canaveral.com can't figure if Jetty Park beach is walkable from the dock for the Gem.I just want a beach, if I need to take a taxi to Cocoa Beach I will but Jetty Park has a boardwalk,pier and beach, can I walk to it through the campground.I know the port is commercial, is there anything walkable from the ship? thanks