Please Tell Me About Serenade!

MBeamTX

This will be our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. I am traveling with my parents, and the cruise departs on their 50th anniversary. I'd like to make the trip special for them. I have some questions I'm hoping fellow CCers can help with.

• We will have an owner's suite on the Serenade of the Seas. Will there be fresh flowers in the suite already? If not, I will definitely order a bouquet.
  • What does the concierge lounge offer? We enjoyed it very much on Holland America, where we could get newspapers and DVDs, coffee, ice tea, juice and snacks all day long, as well as assistance with shore excursions and other matters. Is it pretty much the same on Serenade?
  • We've always had a table just for ourselves, but we usually have a group of 8 or 10 sailing. This time there are only the three of us. I'm torn between asking for a table to ourselves, and asking to join the largest possible table. What I dread is getting put at a table with just two other incompatible people. Would we be able to get a table just for three? What would you advise?
  • My dad requires very plain food. On HAL, he could order items without sauce, a plan steak and baked potato, etc. Is RC similarly accommodating?
  • What is the menu in the Seaview Cafe like and when is it generally open?
  • What kinds of activities are offered and what was your favorite?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as our sail date approaches, but that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy sailing,

Susan

We have had a Grand suite on the Serenade and had some live plants but no fresh flowers. I think it is the same on in the Owners suites. We always pick up an arrangement for the cabin at our first port. We have also ordered from the ship and have been pleased.

We really enjoy the consierge lounge. It provides all you stated plus a hosted evening cocktail party each night and a continental breakfast each morning.

Large tables are fun but RCL does have smaller tables. I would choose the large table as you can always request a change if you don't care for your tablemates.

The dining room servers will accomodate your fathers dietary needs. You may want to inform the head waiter, too.

The Seaview Cafe is really great! They serve nice sandwiches, chilli, onion rings, fruit plates, lovely salads, brownies, fish and chips, chicken strips, nachos to name a few. It is difficult to find but there are stairs at the rear of the Windjammer cafe or go through the kids pool area.

Activities are pretty normal cruise things, bingo, trivia, horse racing, cooking demos, etc.

We have been on the Serenade a total of 29 days and find the crew and staff exceptional. It is our favorite ship so far.

We have gone on 2 Serenade cruises and they were both beyond exceptional. Love the crew. If the concierge is still Maritza, she is considered one of the best of the entire RCCL line. The Seaview is excellent as is Chops and Portofino. The best server in the dining room is Hakan (he is the best so he gets the big tables) but you can try and ask for him when you board. No problem with "bland" food, RCCL is good at that :-) LOL

If you can, book Eli's tour in Antigua-just wonderful.

Thanks,

Laurie

Sally and Laurie,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I loved reading that you both found the ship to be so terrific. I'm a little nervous, as we have only sailed on HAL and my parents both love it so much. I want to make sure this trip is every bit as wonderful so I'm obsessing over the details.

We'll definitely try the Seaview Cafe. We have early seating, so a late night snack might not be out of the question. ;) Is there an elevator that will take you to the Cafe? My dad uses a wheelchair, so the stairs up from the Windjammer wouldn't work for us.

Unfortunately, we will not be going to Antigua. Our itinerary is a 14-day transcanal trip from Puerto Rico to San Diego. We stop in St. Thomas, Aruba, Fuerte Amador (Panama), Puntarenas (Costa Rica), Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas. Any suggestions on sightseeing in any of those ports, preferably a bus or taxi tour with minimal walking?

Thanks again,

Susan

Hi Susan. We have never cruised with HAL so I can not help you much in that respect. I don't think you will be disappointed, though. The service level may be a bit lower. You won't find staff hovering over you. The ship is very classy, mostly glass and some really beautiful art.

We went with my parents on a cruise, they had only cruised on Hal and we were on NCL. Every day we heard "on HAL they had this" or "on HAL they did that" until we were ready to pull our hair out! We finally had a heart to heart about their complaining and after that we all had a wonderful cruise. I think if you go on the Serenade with a positive attitude, knowing it is different, you will really enjoy it.

Some places not to miss on the ship would be the disco at night on deck 13. The bar is just beautiful and revolves! It's like being on the Space Needle. The Schooner Bar on deck 6 is also a favorite of ours. Don't miss the self leveling pool tables (aft, deck 6) especially if the seas get rough.

You can access the Seaview Cafe from the deck twelve elevators.

Thanks, Sally. We'll have to check all of those things out - although my parents probably will draw the line at the disco. :D I don't expect that we will spend our time making critical comparisons to HAL. If we're relaxing in comfortable surroundings with reasonably good service, we'll be happy campers. Having the suite and the concierge lounge are nice little luxuries, though. Heaven knows we couldn't sail without a balcony, EVER. :rolleyes: And now that we've done one cruise on a HAL ship that had the concierge lounge (our one previous suite experience was on a HAL ship that hadn't yet been equipped with the Neptune Lounge) - well, let's just say that we are spoiled to the Nth degree now.

My parents never took vacations all those years we were growing up - other than driving to our cousins in New Jersey or something - and they don't live a luxurious life now. So we make the vacations a little special by getting nice staterooms or hotel rooms.

I'd love to hear any more tidbits anyone has to share about Serenade.

Thanks and happpy cruising,

Susan

p.s. We spoil our cats, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have some comments to offer on Serenade?

I also thought of another question for you recent Serenaders: what are the usual hours for the Solarium pool and hot tubs? We've got the early dinner seating, so I'm hoping to be able to enjoy a swim or soak after dinner some evenings.

Thanks in advance,

Susan

Visit the Crown and Anchor lounge (I believe it is called). You can look down through a glass floor for MANY decks. It is an awesome view. It sounds like you are on a cruise prior to us...if you are doing the repositioning in late April. We will be getting on in May for Ensenada to Hawaii. This will be our third time on the Serenade since spring break 2004...needless to say, we love the ship and crew. You've made a good choice. Enjoy...I think you will have a great time!

We went with my parents on a cruise, they had only cruised on Hal and we were on NCL. Every day we heard "on HAL they had this" or "on HAL they did that" until we were ready to pull our hair out! We finally had a heart to heart about their complaining and after that we all had a wonderful cruise.
LoL - That's what we occasionally heard from my parents on all the RCCL cruises they have been on with us. ;) I am afraid that I will keep comparing HAL Oosterdam with the Serenade next month. :D

Thanks for everyone's comments, I'm really enjoying them. Anticipating this cruise is the main thing getting us though some down days lately.

Cows?!? These are cow sculptures somewhere the glass elevators?? I'll have to look for them.

Cows seem to be popular lately. On Holland America ships, they have a lounge at the top of the ship called the Crow's Nest. On their Vista class ships, the disco has black-and-white bovine upholstery on the furniture, so it's been dubbed the Cow's Nest. :D

Happy sailing,

Susan

We were on the Serenade of the Seas with SallyR in October. The ship is beautiful......and the concierge service makes it special. We were lucky in that they opened a 2nd lounge in a bar on the 13th floor every night between 5:30 - 8:30 just for concierge use. Had music and hor'doeuvres plus a great view. The bartender made it special for everyone too. We preferred this to the regular concierge room on deck 10.

The central glass elevators afford easy access too everything. The Windjammer Buffet is one of the best. Many made to order items and easy to navigate.....The dining room is 2 story with glass floor to ceiling windows. One of the 1st things we do after boarding is to check out where our table is. If we're not happy we see the maitre'd to see if we can change. On this cruise we had a great table for 4 right next to the window. We had early seating so had many beautiful sunsets to view.

The food in the SeaView cafe is prepared while you wait.......if you like fresh french fries this is the place to go. We went up there many evenings for a late night snack. Easy access from the 12th floor elevator then outside past the sports court. Check it out early on as more people find out about it as the cruise progresses.

Any more questions....just ask. We've been on many Royal Caribbean cruises and found this to be our favorite ship. I know your family will be pleased too.

The Solarium pool and hot tubs are open 24 hours/day.

You will love the Owners Suite on the Serenade--one of the best suites we've taken ever. We had 1058 last year in Hawaii and the suite has some really wonderful features. The flat screen tv which rotates on a column so it can be viewed both from the living room and bedroom is awesome. The marble bath with both jacuzzi tub and marble shower likewise, also comes with a bidet which you don't often see. A small dining area with table for two comes in handy for room service, and the verandah is long and beautiful. Lots of closet space in closets which light up and a very nice, long vanity area in the bedroom. It's truly a great suite and you will be spoiled for evermore. I won't add anything about the concierge lounge except to reiterate that Maritza is the best. I'm splurging this year and going back to the Serenade in a Royal Suite, so I'll report on that in May. Can't wait!!!

We were on the Serenade with Sally last August to Alaska...Hi Sally!!! You sure do get around, girl! :) How ya been? We are "getting out there" again in about a month...doing the Rhapsody out of Galveston (and yes, we booked ourselves...no TA this time!! LOL).

MBeamTX, I like your style and hello to a fellow Texan and cat spoiler!! I don't really have much to add except to agree the Serenade is incredible!! It was our first cruise, but we fell in love with that ship. We are seriously considering taking her to Hawaii next year. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Congrats to your folks on 50 years!

I can relate to the possibility of the parents comparisons of other cruises. My parents have been on many different lines and cruises but have never sailed RCL.

We are cruising with them and my sister and her husband (6 of us) on Serenade to Alaska this year. My sister and I have only sailed RCL and Celebrity and are hoping that my parents do not "do the comparing thing." At least not in a negative way!!!

I love Serenade...went on the second sailing in '03 to Canada..my sister's gift to me for me 50th birthday..just the two of us..and just fell in love with the ship..went on the sister ship (Radiance) last March and I don't know what it is but I just love the size of the ship, all the glass and brass, never got lost, friendly crew, alternative restaurants, great balcony cabin etc...

My husband and brother in law like the big ships (Voyager). I don't (too big)and I think that as an introduction to RCL, you can't pick a better class of ship. I don't think I can say anything negative. Overall, I think the food was better since it's a smaller ship and the Seaview Cafe was a nice treat late at night... I've been on the different "classes" of RCL and this is definitely my favorite.....Have a wonderful trip!!!!!!!!!

We will be sailing on the Serenade 12/03/05. I am a little concerned, we always travel a day before the cruise to avoid any problems, but to use my husbands air miles the only day we can get is same day sailing. We would arrive in San Juan at 2:00 pm for the 10:00 pm sailing.

What is everyones experience on same day travel?

Thanks to everyone for all of the positive comments on Serenade. Anticipating this cruise cheers me up immensely and I just get giddy reading about how you've all loved Serenade.

We are flying into San Juan on sailing day, too, and it's the first time we haven't gone in a day early. But I'm not going to sweat it too much, because it's a direct flight and it's April so weather shouldn't be such a big concern. I hope not, anyway! We arrive at 1 pm for a 10 pm sailing.

Can't wait, can't wait!

Happy cruising,

Susan

I have read this thread through and have come up with a wonderful image of Serenade. Unfortunately I have to wait until December to travel on her from San Juan. Thanks for those wonderful tips. I really can't wait. I have never sailed Royal Caribbean before either and have great expectations. We are not lucky enough to have a suite but we are on deck 10 right next to the Royal Suite. D1 cabin with balcony. If you are in the Royal Suite on that sailing - would you mind if I came in for a quick peep??????

We will be sailing on the Serenade 12/03/05. I am a little concerned, we always travel a day before the cruise to avoid any problems, but to use my husbands air miles the only day we can get is same day sailing. We would arrive in San Juan at 2:00 pm for the 10:00 pm sailing.

What is everyones experience on same day travel?

Really consider flying down at least a day earlier. See it as an extra day of vacation. There are many threads on this site that speak of the horrors of missing the boat - don't put yourself in the same position.!

We flew into San Juan from Newark in late November for a same day cruise (Empress)..arrived about noon and were on the ship at 1:00....No problems. Didn't want to fly a day early since we had first class upgrades for the flight on that day....

I guess you just never know what could happen and I'm sure for the most part, everything works out OK. We have done a few pre and post cruise nights in the past but I've also cruised and flown on the same day and never had a problem. Perhaps I've been lucky...as long as your arrival time is not cutting it too close, I wouldn't worry about it...especially is the flight is free..

We're flying in a day early for our Alaska cruise this year mainly because we've never been to Vancouver but if I can use my miles for a free flight on the day of the cruise, I'd change it in a minute!!!!

I flew in same day from Houston last year with a Miami connection. I made it with no problems. That being said, I wish that I had flied in the night before as I really needed a day up front to relax on such a port intensive cruise.

Have fun! The ship is beautiful and you will enjoy waking up in the port of a different island every day.

Jen

Thanks for the replies, sgttami and Tex_Jen. I appreciate the reassurance. I was starting to give myself panic attacks today over our air arrangements. We are flying to San Juan on our sail date (Saturday) because I am already taking 2 weeks off from work, and I have to fly from Austin to Philadelphia on Friday afternoon to meet up with my parents. Taking yet another day off was just too difficult.

On the positive side: it's April and a direct flight to San Juan, so that gives us better odds right there. I'm just going to be praying for all of our luggage to arrive with us. :)

Happy cruising,

Susan

Not only do you have a great suite but you get Maritza! The jewel in RCI's crown, she is truely a wonder in the conciege lounge. I pre-order flowers to the room before we sail, just let the dining room staff know any dietary needs and your Dad will be covered, Chops and Portifinos are well worth the $'s. Hope your cruise is as wonderful onboard the Serenade as ours was!

Archived