Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam in March

fgrsk8r

Hi there -

my parents and I will be on the Oosterdam for the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise in March and I was wondering if anybody can comment on shore excursions. Mom is slightly walking handicapped (crutches) and doesn't mind to stay behind, especially in Cabo where we would be tendering (we might even stay on board completely as I have been to Cabo before).

My dad will be 70, he's a stout man, but still active and I am in my late 30's.

Also - I am debating to take my laptop (mostly to download pictures and create my blog offline) or my iTouch (for quick e-mails). Is there a safe in the staterooms? How comfortable have those of you who have taken their Laptops been leaving them in the room.

I already had my question about bringing alcohol answered - yippiee :-) That's great as we'd love to toast in our Superior Verandah Suite the first night with some bubbly. Do u recommend to put it in the carry on or checked luggage (properly packed of course).

Also can everybody use the Hydro Spa or does one have to book a treatment to use that facility?

OK - lot's of questions... first real cruise for me, and first in 25 years for my parents (they've been on 3 European Cruises in the 80's - 2 on the Khazakstan).

THANKS !!!!

countdown.pl?image=venice&name=fgrsk8r&date=3-13-2010&text=Mexican Riviera - here we come&ship=Oosterdam

The safe is not big enough for a standard laptop. Maybe a netbook, but I think that might be tight. I would be comfortable leaving my laptop out of sight in the room. But, on the other hand, I don't envision ever taking my laptop.

I would carry on my champagne, not check it.

You need to be more specific as to what you would like comments on for the shore excursions. Mobility will be a problem, but I would go on the whale watching. It can be awesome that time of the year.

You have to buy a pass for the Hydro Spa.

I have the small MacBook so it might work - but we'll see. I am not sure - it really would be for Photos (I am a hobby photographer) and my blog (that I would do offline).

I am sorry I wasn't too clear on the excursions. My mom may not come on any of them unless we do one sitting at the beach in one of the resorts (I believe Puerto Vallarta has that?)

I was thinking any nature walking tours? Dad is fine walking, or the swimming with the Dolphins?

I'd love to do the Canopy tour (I did one in Costa Rica) but am not sure if that would be something for my dad - again he's a stout man (big belly, otherwise pretty fit.... yeah he likes his German Beer).

Do you know how much the hydro spa pass is?

Thanks again :-)

countdown.pl?image=venice&name=fgrsk8r&date=3-13-2010&text=Mexican Riviera - here we come&ship=Oosterdam

I focused on Cabo- that has the best whale watching. None of the other ports require tendering, so mobility will be a little less of an issue.

The dolphin swim is pretty neat in Acapulco.

I haven't done the others you mentioned. I have golfed in all ports except Cabo, and we have not been beach goers. But others with give more info.

I have taken my laptop on some cruises -- never worried about it in the cabin -- it doesn't fit in the safe.

But I do put it back in its case and store it away in the closet -- I don't leave it out in the open.

To use the Thermal Pool you need to buy a pass -- it is $40 a day per person. There is a special rate for all week -- inquire once you are on the ship.

I used to put my laptop in a desk drawer but haven't for the last six/seven or so cruises. I leave it sitting on the desk where I'm working/typing but that's just me.

In Cabo, just an idea, inside the Marina are several bar-restaurants. Last time we were there, we grabbed a seat on an outside terrace of a place called Café Canelas, ordered a Margarita and some chips and salsa and took in the atmosphere and the people walking the dock outside. Right outside the tender pier and on the same dock is a flea market.

In Puerto Vallarta, you might want to think about a Shorex called "Rhythms of the Night" - It involves a catamaran ride to John Huston's former private beach, a beach-side buffet-dinner and a Mayan show under the stars.

Mazatlan has several hotels in the Zona Dorado where you can spent several hours on the beach in a chair, taking it all in.

Enjoyyour cruise with Mum & Dad!

Archived