7.3 earthquake hits Haiti

Sue L

To Aquahound and others I see all your points regarding the potential lost income for the Haitian people if the ships don't dock and I agree with you. I was just saying from a public relations standpoint, It wouldn't look too good to the general public (you know those other people on the planet that don't cruise) if they saw people frolicking around on a secluded beach and in a split-screen were looking at dead bodies in the streets. For me and my wife, we couldn't do this. That's all I'm saying. If you are going to Labadee, enjoy.

By the way, I've sailed with RCCL before and have nothing against them. They always seem to pitch in with disaster relief when they can.:)

To Aquahound and others I see all your points regarding the potential lost income for the Haitian people if the ships don't dock and I agree with you. I was just saying from a public relations standpoint, It wouldn't look too good to the general public (you know those other people on the planet that don't cruise) if they saw people frolicking around on a secluded beach and in a split-screen were looking at dead bodies in the streets. For me and my wife, we couldn't do this. That's all I'm saying. If you are going to Labadee, enjoy.

By the way, I've sailed with RCCL before and have nothing against them. They always seem to pitch in with disaster relief when they can.:)

I'd be shocked if that didn't happen.

I can imagine news agencies around the world would love to show video of Americans having a ball on a beach in Haiti while thousands are dying.:(

I'd be shocked if that didn't happen.

I can imagine news agencies around the world would love to show video of Americans having a ball on a beach in Haiti while thousands are dying.:(

Although vacations are going on as normal in the Dominican Republic from what I see, and I haven't seen photos or news articles criticizing those people....:)

Although vacations are going on as normal in the Dominican Republic from what I see, and I haven't seen photos or news articles criticizing those people....:)

Also, Labadee is a private area. It's not like it is all that accessible to news organizations.

At any rate, helping others is the most important thing. If other people are going to criticize the way RCI goes about it, so be it. You can't let idiots keep you from doing the right thing.

They've loaded Independence of the Seas with relief supplies today at San Juan, Puerto Rico, which included 60 cases of badly needed water and other dry goods.

They've also started to receive additional provisions, including four truckloads of drinking water, from our suppliers at our logistic center, which we are preparing to load on to Navigator of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas, to arrive on Monday and Tuesday.

They've also agreed to commit 100 percent of the net proceeds from tomorrow’s tours and shore excursions during Independence of the Seas’ call to the Haitian relief effort.

Again well done RCCL

jj.......

The Independence, Navigator and Liberty will all visit Labadee as scheduled ...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=15086.blog

"There were a lot of discussions about (going ahead with calls), but in the end, Labadee is critical to Haiti's recovery and hundreds of people rely on Labadee for their livelihood," Royal Caribbean associate vice president John Weis writes today on a Royal Caribbean company blog.

Weis says Royal Caribbean executives talked with the U.N. Special Envoy of the Government of Haiti, Leslie Voltaire, before making the decision, and Voltaire told the company the revenues Haiti would generate from upcoming cruise calls would be critical to its recovery.

Royal Caribbean today made a minimum commitment of $1 million toward the Haitian relief effort. This contribution will be spent supporting Food For The Poor, the Pan American Development Foundation, and other organizations in Haiti that are engaged in the relief effort.

Pictures of relief aid being off loaded in Labadee from the Independence http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=791#more-791

jj.......

I mean no disrespect by this question at all, but who cares? Isn't it more important to worry about doing what little bit of good you can than worrying about what it looks like to others?

I've been very impressed by what I have read about RCL's commitment to Haiti. One the other hand, I think Disney should be embarrassed by their contribution of $100,000, a tiny portion of their profits.

In a couple hours, when Webshots finishes uploading my pictures, I'll write back with some photos of my medical mission trip to Haiti a couple years ago. It will give you an idea of the conditions of roads, power and housing in the countryside 40 miles north of PAP.

OK folks, I actually work in Emergency Management (response and recovery) and the first rule for responders is "Do NOT self deploy". Groups and people that show up unexpectedly and unasked only get in the way and slow down the process. I work in logistics and now I've got to find shelter, food, water, transportation, fuel, sanitation, etc for people we may not even need. That is exactly what is happening now in Haiti. Aircraft are showing up unexpectadly and asking for landing rights, getting in the way of the truley needed shipments. The first groups needed are the material handling teams with their heavy equipment and manpower. A load of bottled water or food is useless if there isn't someone already on the ground to unload and distribute it. Instead, when volunteers show up without being asked, we take their name, specialty, and contact information and tell them to go back home and wait until we call for them.

Also, trying to sort through "stuff" that people donate also takes a lot of time and manpower. So if you want to help, donate money to an agency of your choice. That is the best thing you can do at this time.

Also, Labadee is a private area. It's not like it is all that accessible to news organizations.

At any rate, helping others is the most important thing. If other people are going to criticize the way RCI goes about it, so be it. You can't let idiots keep you from doing the right thing.

So anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot?

This may give you an idea of what roads are like 50 miles north of PAP.

2512307250105344121S425x425Q85.jpg

Town water supply used for drinking, cooking, washing clothes, bathing and other personal functions

2582380380105344121S425x425Q85.jpg

Someone's home

a%3E

I have hundreds more, but I won't bore you...

Well, speaking for myself, I would like to see other photos. Can you post a link to your Webshots album?

This may give you an idea of what roads are like 50 miles north of PAP.

2512307250105344121S425x425Q85.jpg

Town water supply used for drinking, cooking, washing clothes, bathing and other personal functions

2582380380105344121S425x425Q85.jpg

Someone's home

a>

I have hundreds more, but I won't bore you...

I would be interested to know exactly where these where taken? 50 miles north? My dd has been in that area twice with a team from MA where they have a cooprative, (which was destroyed) . She is returning in March to help rebuild.

The program is called "Haiti Plunge" if you want to google it. The program now desprate for funds to purchase materials to rebuild.

I would be interested to know exactly where these where taken? 50 miles north? My dd has been in that area twice with a team from MA where they have a cooprative, (which was destroyed) . She is returning in March to help rebuild.

The program is called "Haiti Plunge" if you want to google it. The program now desprate for funds to purchase materials to rebuild.

[/url]

We stayed at an orphanage/health clinic in Saintard and did some traveling from there to St Marc and other small towns.

I'll have to clean up my webshots album before I post a link. I don't want to have face shots out in cybespace without permission of those in the picture.

I've edited and added some captions.

I didn't realize you could get to the album by clicking on the picture (although it didn't work when I tried it). I don't think I like that idea.

Here's the link http://travel.webshots.com/album/576359766FzjXAh?vhost=travel&action=refreshPhotos&albumID=576359766&security=FzjXAh

Your pictures are a true statement. Certainly taking time to work in Haiti is a humbliing experience. To see how the people live and yet seem happy with what they have. My dd came home a different person for her efforts and will return again in March to help rebuild the cooperative. During the summer when some of the boys she taught came here to work in summer camps, one of them wanted to see her home. She was hesitant to bring them here, embarrassed of what she had. They had never sat in a recliner and watched a TV. It truly is an eye opener.

So anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot?

WTH?:confused::confused:

I think any news reporter who purposely manipulates facts to make it look like RCI and its passengers in Labadee are uncaring and unhelpful towards their fellow man when in fact they are contributing their money in the form of donations and/or putting tourist dollars into the Haitian economy is an idiot.

Archived