Compensation for Delayed Return??

gwen1019

A big no! So make sure you either get insurance or plan your flight for plenty of cushion time for delays.

Even if it is definitely an issue with the cruise line?? The fault of the cruiseline.

Sorry - I'm fairly new to cruising - have only been on a couple and never thought about this before.

Absolutely not. I was on the Conquest after Ike hit when we not only were one day late, but got dumped in a different port city to find our way home.

Another big no. You are on your own. They made calls to change air only if you booked air thru Carnival. If you booked on your own ... good luck.

Fire,

I remember hearing about that. Weren't you give the option of either getting off in New Orleans or staying on the ship and going back to Galveston? I wasn't reading the CC threads when that happened so I don't know all the details. Did you have your car parked in Galveston? Were all the cars left in Galveston flooded? What did you end up doing? That probably wasn't a fun day for you.:(

Just a question after hearing about so many delayed returns on the Splendor...

If a ship is delayed returning to port, is there some sort of compensation on the part of Carnival if you do not have insurance?

201.gif119.gif90.gif

Free Room & Board (and all the additional tips are on Carnival)~~!!~~

Gone are the days of free open bars 24//7....

Fire,

I remember hearing about that. Weren't you give the option of either getting off in New Orleans or staying on the ship and going back to Galveston? I wasn't reading the CC threads when that happened so I don't know all the details. Did you have your car parked in Galveston? Were all the cars left in Galveston flooded? What did you end up doing? That probably wasn't a fun day for you.:(

Galveston was flooded, but thats what they said, we will let you stay and see if they open Galveston. After we got home we heard they got permission to go back to Houston ... but at the time of course we didnt know they were talking to Houston.

About 90% Id say lost their cars. A few hotels moved cars or saved them at the hotels, but almost everyone lost their cars.

Id have been happy with phone numbers in a timely fashion and help to arrange to get home. Im not talking compensation, but instead purser's desk hung up if you called from your cabin it was so crazy. Yes, stressfull cruise as we knew at the end it was heading from Galveston.

I asked the Crazies but none of them had any suggestions when we overnighted in Cozumel what to do. I did feel pretty lost and helpless.

I wouldnt expect compensation, but Carnival could have been more helpfull. Just my opinion. Those who reboarded after customs and got to go back to Houston think Carnival was swell.

201.gif119.gif90.gif

Free Room & Board (and all the additional tips are on Carnival)~~!!~~

Gone are the days of free open bars 24//7....

Actually the waiter wanted more tips for the extra day. He told us he wasnt happy because he missed a whole week.

Ships employees werent too happy either for the most part with less income.

Even if it is definitely an issue with the cruise line?? The fault of the cruiseline.

Sorry - I'm fairly new to cruising - have only been on a couple and never thought about this before.

Even if it was the fault of the cruiseline, the engine broke and they get in, you are still on your own to rebook airlines or whatever. I think they think you are getting extra time and YOU owe them more (at least extra tips), not they owe you compensation.

If a ship is delayed returning to port, is there some sort of compensation on the part of Carnival if you do not have insurance?

Why in the heck would there be. Why is this society so heck bent on getting something. Sorry I just don't understand it and it makes me so angry. Things happen. Get over it.

For heaven's sakes this all needs to stop all this gimme gimme gimme stuff. Things happen, just accept that and life is so short to be so negative all the time and always looking for some kind of handout.

Just stop it!!!!!

You're getting something...free room and free food...that's it!

Leaving late -- those waiting at the pier to board, if you're late in returning, do get some compensation. Last year I recieved $15 credit since I didn't get lunch on board...

But I'm praying for fog on our return day... My compensation will be more time aboard!!!!

Oooo, and YES, I'll remember to tip the waiter... I never thought about them missing those tips!!! :o

So those who have insurance should get nothing and those who do not have insurance should get compensated?:confused:

Whats the purpose of insurance then?

Steve

No flamming from me here, I don't think you (original poster) was asking for anything free. It appears to me that you were just asking as question as to "what if".

The short answer is, Carnival is not responsibile, that's a great reason to buy insurance (amoung others). If the ship is delayed your insurance will cover the costs to get you back to port, etc. Keep in mind, not all insurance is the same, make sure you look at the policy before you buy.

Good luck!

What if the ship has to go back early due to having to evacuate someone from the ship who did not have evacuation insurance? They can't really let the person die on board, but if they don't have money to pay for evacuation, they will not evacuate them by air and just go back to port or to the nearest port early, throwing off the whole itinerary.

This is another good reason to buy insurance, so you won't mess up everyone elses cruise.

Sure, but only if you don't have insurance. People with insurance get zilch! Don't get insurance. It will cost you! ;)

Why buy insurance then. Insurance is a big money maker for them, giving compensation undermines the ability to sell insurance.

for (47)flooded cabin/s in Oct...never asked, nor expected one...Got 50% off that cruze, and a 50% off for a future cruze..some peeps got moved, but I was on B2B, and asked not to be..just gimme a dry floor, which was recarpeted in jig time (10 minutes)after furn moved out and wet/water removed. A very nice letter..and would replace/clean any articles damaged or distroyed..precautions were taken to get all things off the floor, and I went to bed. Not everyone got the refunds..just moved..soooo...lucky, once more.

Last May, when they closed Mexico due to the Swine Flu, our 5 day on the Fantasy was changed to a 7 day at no additional cost. Carnival also picked up the tab for the fee for changing our return flight home. Kudo's to Carnival for that one.

The only thing I didn't care for was the fact that after some people complained, they reduced the automatic tips to reflect 5 days not the 7. So the crew got screwed.

Tom

Archived