question about dress code

ward497

Some do and some don't. The bottom line is that you're on vacation. Wear whatever you want.

By extension - do whatever you want. Can I assume that you pick your nose or scratch your private parts in public as part of your "do whatever you want" philosophy?

DON

I just joined CruiseCritic, and this is my first post. I've been avidly gathering all the information that I can, in anticipation of my first cruise, to Alaska. (Not counting a Yangtze River cruise on a very funky Chinese riverboat.) I've narrowly convinced my partner to take the cruise. He was recently laid off from his long-time job, as his company closed their entire West Coast division. Prospects are dim, so he has become very cautious about money. But I think we both need to look forward to something grand.

I have to say that this thread has almost made me give up the idea of cruising. After researching and reading, I had chosen Celebrity for the cruise. We are both good cooks and enjoy good food. We do not want to spend 7 days on a boat stuck with food similar to Country Buffet or Red Lobster. Celebrity seemed like the best choice. (Surely there are many reasons for choosing a particular cruise line, not just dress code.) However, we live in the Pacific Northwest, and while I enjoy dressing up a bit, my partner lives in jeans, tees, and flannel shirts. He does not own a jacket or tie. We have eaten at some of the best west coast restaurants, from Chez Panisse to Sooke Harbour House, and everyplace in Seattle, and it has never been a problem for him to wear khakis and a cotton long sleeve shirt. I would never be able to convince him that the added expense of buying a suit for one cruise was a worthwhile expense, necessary only to allow him into a dining room for a meal we have already paid for.

What has amazed me in this thread has been the intolerance and vitriol of some of the writers, under the guise of sticking to the rules. I love to see people dressed up and sparkling. I grow weary of the constant grunge dressing here in the northwest. I do think that it is nice when people make an effort to dress up for special occasions.

But when on a cruise ship, looking at fellow passengers, one does not really know how many pennies had to be saved to take the cruise, maybe the dream of a lifetime. One does not know whether the clean shirt and pants a passenger is wearing are the finest clothes they own, and not something chosen out of disrespect.

I'm not sure whether I want to cruise if this many of my fellow passengers are this entitled and judgmental.

Please remember that this thread is only a handful of people voicing their strong opinion.

I believe that you will see a thread like this on most cruise lines.

You will see a few cruisers on board that do as they want but I believe that most cruisers

dress as requested by the cruise line guidelines.

Please do not judge us all from the thread you have been reading.

Lola, welcome to CC. I understand how you and your partner feel and I respect it. We have cruised Celebrity exclusively for over 10 years and we dress to "the nines". We have seen many people who do not over the years & it doesn't ruin our experience. I have many long elegant gowns & my DH owns a tux. That being said, we are not taking either on our upcoming Equinox cruise. I am taking a formal dressy pair of palazzo pants & 2 dressy tops and DH is taking a very dressy sport coat with dark slacks & wearing a silk mock turtleneck on formal nights. Loosing the sport coat on smart casual nights.

With all the airline costs for bags, we are downsizing what we are taking. I personally (just MHO) think a guy looks really sharp in a mock rather than a tie.

If your partner wears a nice clean pair of pants and a shirt with or without a coat &/or tie, he will most likely be fine as long as he presents looking neat, clean & well groomed. I have personally not seen this dress turned away from the main DR.

I have to admit to being one of the "must obey the rules" types for a long time, but I am just not carrying all the extra baggage anymore, especially to Europe. We love dressing up formally and if the baggage restrictions were not in place, would continue to do so. PLUS, we are booked in Aqua class so we won't eat in the MDR at all!!!! You might want to look into Aqua class if the price is right. Blu is a smaller dining venue and might be a little less restrictive with the dresscode.

Go, enjoy!:D

What has amazed me in this thread has been the intolerance and vitriol of some of the writers, under the guise of sticking to the rules. I love to see people dressed up and sparkling. I grow weary of the constant grunge dressing here in the northwest. I do think that it is nice when people make an effort to dress up for special occasions.

But when on a cruise ship, looking at fellow passengers, one does not really know how many pennies had to be saved to take the cruise, maybe the dream of a lifetime. One does not know whether the clean shirt and pants a passenger is wearing are the finest clothes they own, and not something chosen out of disrespect.

I'm not sure whether I want to cruise if this many of my fellow passengers are this entitled and judgmental.

Have him borrow a jacket and tie/suit from friends or family. I am sure someone has one to loan. No one will know the difference. You may feel embarrassed for him when the majority will be in suits or tux's. This would be far worse than not trying to get him the suit/jacket or being turned away at the door of the MDR.

While I can certainly empathize with your situation (DH has had his entire schedule cut for the next 6 months to a total of 240 hours-less than 6 weeks work), Celebrity has a dress code. It is on their website, in their documents. I book Celebrity BECAUSE of the dress code which is part of the ambiance-the food, no or few announcements, the champagne welcome, just the little extras. No hairy chest contests, no belly flop contests, no out of control drunks as a general rule. I expect a certain level of decorum because that is what Celebrity promised me. No sense of entitlement, just want to get what I chose and paid for.

Borrow the jacket/suit and we will both be happy. And you will have a wonderful cruise getting all that Celebrity promised, including the formal, traditional cruise experience.

I just joined CruiseCritic, and this is my first post. I've been avidly gathering all the information that I can, in anticipation of my first cruise, to Alaska. (Not counting a Yangtze River cruise on a very funky Chinese riverboat.) I've narrowly convinced my partner to take the cruise. He was recently laid off from his long-time job, as his company closed their entire West Coast division. Prospects are dim, so he has become very cautious about money. But I think we both need to look forward to something grand.

I have to say that this thread has almost made me give up the idea of cruising. After researching and reading, I had chosen Celebrity for the cruise. We are both good cooks and enjoy good food. We do not want to spend 7 days on a boat stuck with food similar to Country Buffet or Red Lobster. Celebrity seemed like the best choice. (Surely there are many reasons for choosing a particular cruise line, not just dress code.) However, we live in the Pacific Northwest, and while I enjoy dressing up a bit, my partner lives in jeans, tees, and flannel shirts. He does not own a jacket or tie. We have eaten at some of the best west coast restaurants, from Chez Panisse to Sooke Harbour House, and everyplace in Seattle, and it has never been a problem for him to wear khakis and a cotton long sleeve shirt. I would never be able to convince him that the added expense of buying a suit for one cruise was a worthwhile expense, necessary only to allow him into a dining room for a meal we have already paid for.

Lola, look into booking HAL instead. You can spend formal nights having a quiet intimate dinner in the Lido.

HAL also has better itineraries and hasn't been banned from Glacier Bay like Celebrity.

Celebrity's parent company Royal Caribbean International was fined $27 million for deliberate dumping of waste in US waters so RCCL and Celebrity may never do business with the NPS in Alaska.

My last trip to Alaska was 10 years ago and many Pacific northwest passengers dressed in their usual nice jeans and sweaters on casual nights.

HAL's ships have a great Lido with no extra charge for those who choose to spend a night away from the fancy dining room. Many of the dinner choices are the same.

Texan, you are correct. While we love CC, we also recognize that the overwhelmingly majority of experienced cruisers do not visit this site. We also recognize that there are a few folks who do not cruise often, and merely post hereon for purposes of aggravation. The latter type of people can be readily identified by the fact that they post ad infinitum on certain threads.

Forget about the men needing to be buttoned up to the neck, with a tie, and wear a jacket.

Women will wear a skirt and a blouse or sweater and say they are "formal" PLEASE!

I will probably wear a dark sport coat with an open collar and be acceptable. And the sport coat is under duress!

This is our first cruise as we haven't been able to afford one before now. In fact most of our holidays are caravanning with a pack of dogs. We too have worked and saved hard, in all honesty I would have loved to have gone with Crystal, but based on our wants Celebrity appears the next best thing and within our budget.

The main 'want' was to have a "5 star" experience. Fellow passengers, as well as the staff, make that experience. It would hardly feel elegant if everyone decided they would just dress in the best they had - which to some may just be a clean pair of shorts! Clothes etc are the hidden costs of this particular type of holiday (although formal clothes don't need to cost the eart nowadays) and from my research there are cruise lines for all tastes and budgets for exactly that reason.

Is there a specific dress code for the specialty dining on Celebrity? We really want to eat at least once in the Olympic restaurant on Millenium this summer. Is the dress more formal in the Olympic any night, or is "smart casual" still acceptable there on a non-formal night?:confused:

Is there a specific dress code for the specialty dining on Celebrity? We really want to eat at least once in the Olympic restaurant on Millenium this summer. Is the dress more formal in the Olympic any night, or is "smart casual" still acceptable there on a non-formal night?:confused:

Celebrity's specialty restaurants follow the dress code of the evening. Although the setting does warrant a bit more so a jacket would be appropriate, but not required.

I can't buy airline baggage fees as a reason not to pack some formalwear. A typical European cruise starts at about $3000, plus another $1000 (minimum) for air. $25 or $50 for an extra bag is a lame excuse.

Since I wear a suit for a living, I prefer not to do so when on vacation. I have been on three Celebrity Cruises (Infinity, Century and Mercury). I usually pack a navy blazer, another dark sport coat, a couple of pairs of dress slacks, dress khakis, and a pair each of brown and cordovan shoes. For formal nights, I wear a white or blue dress shirt and a tie. On casual nights, it's khakis and a button down shirt (no tie) or golf shirt. Since I don't bring a dark suit, I don't have to pack black dress shoes.

FYI, no one has ever sneered at me or told me to go back to my cabin.

Rich

I am not disturbed by the dress or undress of others. We simply ignore those few folks who prefer the "dem, deese and dose" lifestyle.

So now we are talking about the "undress of others". This keeps getting better and better!

I never before heard of any lifestyle referred to as "dem, deese and dose". Would you care to elaborate?

Since I wear a suit for a living, I prefer not to do so when on vacation. I have been on three Celebrity Cruises (Infinity, Century and Mercury). I usually pack a navy blazer, another dark sport coat, a couple of pairs of dress slacks, dress khakis, and a pair each of brown and cordovan shoes. For formal nights, I wear a white or blue dress shirt and a tie. On casual nights, it's khakis and a button down shirt (no tie) or golf shirt. Since I don't bring a dark suit, I don't have to pack black dress shoes.

FYI, no one has ever sneered at me or told me to go back to my cabin.

Rich

Could some kind gentlemen please explain to me the difference between packing and wearing a suit versus packing and wearing a "dark sport coat" and "dress slacks"? Since you are willing to wear the tie, I just don't understand what the problem is with bringing and wearing a suit on formal nights.

Could some kind gentlemen please explain to me the difference between packing and wearing a suit versus packing and wearing a "dark sport coat" and "dress slacks"? Since you are willing to wear the tie, I just don't understand what the problem is with bringing and wearing a suit on formal nights.

My thoughts exactly. People complain that it adds too much weight to their luggage, etc. Well if you're going to plan on bringing blazers/sport coats, then why not just bring a suit? And the same goes for a tux.

My thoughts exactly. People complain that it adds too much weight to their luggage, etc. Well if you're going to plan on bringing blazers/sport coats, then why not just bring a suit? And the same goes for a tux.

Because they are trying to make some sort of point, I'm convinced that it's the same people on this forum, the P&O forum, & any other forum.

I was going to encourage my husband to get a nicely tailored black suit for an upcoming event and then use it for our hopefully 2012 cruise. He could bring one sports coat, two dress shirts, and black dress shoes and be done with it.

The cost of the luggage is one things, just toting all of that stuff around gets old! I learned when I started to travel for work that no one really cared what I had on (I mostly worked with men), so I didn't need a different suit/blouse/shoes/bag for each day I was gone. I was able to significantly downsize the luggage I was hauling around.

Some men are picky/astute/fashionable, so to them a sport coat, tie, slacks is much less formal than a suit and tie.

Because they are trying to make some sort of point, I'm convinced that it's the same people on this forum, the P&O forum, & any other forum.

Wow! I thought I was kinda "middle of the road" on this issue. Guess not. I had no idea my wardrobe was causing so much distress to so many people on board!

To answer your question, Kary and Waterlilly, if I brought a suit instead of the slacks, sport coat, blazer and ties, I would wind up wearing the exact same suit on at least two to three nights of the cruise. For me, this is a greater fashion "faux pas". And I prefer the "mix and match" I can do with the above mentioned wardrobe. For years, I packed and wore my old monkey suit tux, but just decided I didn't want to anymore.

Again, I'm sorry to offend.

Rich

Wow! I thought I was kinda "middle of the road" on this issue. Guess not. I had no idea my wardrobe was causing so much distress to so many people on board!

To answer your question, Kary and Waterlilly, if I brought a suit instead of the slacks, sport coat, blazer and ties, I would wind up wearing the exact same suit on at least two to three nights of the cruise. For me, this is a greater fashion "faux pas". And I prefer the "mix and match" I can do with the above mentioned wardrobe. For years, I packed and wore my old monkey suit tux, but just decided I didn't want to anymore.

Again, I'm sorry to offend.

Rich

Hi Rich:

No offense taken whatsoever. I really, truly did just want an explanation for what the difficulty was in bringing a suit, and I thank you for yours.

Archived