Destiny or Imagination

richbum

I was wondering if someone who has cruised on these 2 ships could help me make a decision. They both have the same itinerary, but Imagination does not have balcony rooms from what I understand. Can someone tell what other differences there are on these ships, and which ship you prefer and why. I am trying to get friends to cruise with us, and they will ask what the differences are.

Thanks in advance!:D

I have sailed both. I was on Imagination twice once in a inside and once in a OV. Rooms where both nice. I personally did not care for the OV so back to insides we went. Our trips on her where pre and post dry dock. In dry dock they added the new food stations. I'm sure more but it was a few years back and dont really remember. I found Imagination a very nice ship. GREAT staff actually oue asst room steward on our first cruise was promoted to RS by the time we sailed her again and had him twice. He also remember us by name. CRAZY It was easy to find my way around as well.

Destiny was very nice as well. Great everything! Had the big TV which the kids liked a lot. Ship was a little bigger so took me a bit longer to find my way around.

I think both ship will provide a great vacation for you. I enjoyed my time on both. One has a few more perks over the other but that is in the eye of the beholder.

Imagination will prob always be my favorite ship as she was my first. Those memories will never fade!

I have been on both ships and they are both nice. Imagination is smaller than Destiny. What I liked about the Destiny is there were lounge chairs you could sit on in the shade on the sides of the ship and gaze at the ocean if the sun was too hot. What I like about the Imagination is that if it is a little cool or you don't want to be in the sun (not so many shade chairs) there are window seats on the Promenade you can sit in, put your feet up and gaze at the ocean. Also, the Destiny has a pool in the rear as well as in the center and Imagination just has a pool in the center and water works in the back (slides and kids splash zone). The Imagination ha a Serenity area for adults only which is very peaceful. Destiny does not. Otherwise, food, rooms and entertainment are basically the same.

If I had to choose and they were doing the same itinerary, i would just pick whatever was cheapest which is exactly what I did for next month!

Thanks for your help. Does the destiny or Imagination have the big screen tv, and the water slides on it?

What about decor....not that this is important, but which is beter in that aspect?:D Thanks again!

Destiny has the seaside theatre and a waterslide. They also have an adults only pool/hot tub in the back of the ship too.

We've been on the Imagination 5 times (one after drydock) and just did a B2B on Destiny in October. Here are some of the advantages I see in both ships -

Imagination -

Serenity deck - we loved the plush lounge chairs and adult only features of Serenity. Plus a lovely view of the wake of the ship.

Water Works - Great slides, and if you use the deck by the splash park there are almost always chairs to be found (plus with a breeze you get a nice cooldown from the water from the water toys)

Buffet - lines seemed to be less on Imagination than Destiny. Both have the Deli. Imagination has Mongolian Grill (go early in the cruise before everyone discovers it).

Destiny -

Pools - Destiny has three pools, the main Lido pool, one off the slide, and the aft covered pool. More places to find a deck chair.

Balcony Cabins- only balconies on Imagination are suites. We were very happy to be able to get a balcony on a shorter cruise.

Dining - I really liked the Aisan station in the buffet. Different from Mongolian Grill on Imagination in that it's pre-made food, not made to order. But their spring rolls were yummy! Lines get very long at peak times though.

Outdoor promenade on Lobby deck -This was a nice place to relax and read a book or just watch the ocean. They have chairs and it's covered, so good if you've had too much sun or if the weather is not so nice.

Big screen on Lido - I'll point out that Destiny has this, but can't say it was a big draw for us.

Overall I'd cruise again on either ship. I'd say go with whatever one has the better price for the dates you're considering.

We also looked at Destiny because we prefer balcony cabins and the ones on Imagination are suites, which, to us, are too expensive for a short cruise. If Destiny had a 7 day, we would probably do that, but she doesn't. We're, instead, doing a back-to-back on Imagination to have a 7 day cruise, much less $, but OV instead of balcony. Loved the Serenity deck and the Imagination overall when we've been on her & are looking forward to our first B2B.

We also did a B2B on the imagination after the refurb in '08

(it is less expensive than booking a 7 day, we saved a lot of $$$$)

our very first cruise was on the imagination in '05

we sailed the Destiny right before it left Puerto Rico

The Destiny is basically a smaller version of the conquest class-

I called it the Valor Lite;) (missing the fish n chips )

I enjoyed both , there was a little more to do on the Destiny because its larger , but I am a small ship person myself.

Whichever one you choose you will have a great time.

Archived