Raft and snorkle gear

Kelly07

Can you bring your own raft and snorkle gear to the various beaches? We are booked on the Sky and will be visiting Nassau and GSC. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by a raft, but you can bring your own snorkel gear. Be aware that at GSC you will need a snorkel vest. If you don't have them it will cost you between $10 and $15 to rent.

By raft, I mean a plastic floating raft, they are usually under $10 found in toy stores or drug stores. Thanks for your advice on the vests!:)

Yes you can take your raft...if you wanna pack it. They used to rent floats on GSC but it has been so long since I have been there I don't know if they still do.

I found an response from Coka on this board (thanks, Coka!), stating the October, 2009 order form she had listed the following as rental fees on GSC:

snorkel gear rental: 29.99

snorkel gear rental and t-shirt: 32.99

snorkel gear rental, t-shirt, and camera: 45.99

Parasail (tandem only): 79.99

large party Float: 25.99

small foam float: 12.99

two small foam float deal: 18.99

So if it's worth the savings to you, I say pack it. Please do not crumple it up and toss it when done to save space in your luggage, though. That's not very eco friendly. Some people have said they "leave them there for others to use," though. I wonder how that ACTUALLY works. My guess it they go in the garbage within a day.

I thought about bringing mine, but really, it's not worth the hassle for me. I am bringing my own snorkel gear, and will rent the vest on GSC. I'm picky about my snorkel gear after having a very ill fitting mask ruin my first snorkeling experience.

I bring my own snorkel gear including a prescription lens for the mask. No matter what anyone says I don't like sticking things in my mouth that have been in others...(well most of the time)...

I'm totally with you there...even if they do claim to "sterilize" them

we always bring our own gear....except for fins. we used to drag our fins around, but then realized we could do as well with the ones that are usually supplied on the excursions. we always bring our own inflatable vests because they are fitted to us, our goggles and tubes, for the same reason...and because we know they are sanitary because we clean them ourselves. we've never had a problem. :)

We bring our own stuff as well. We pack our fins, snorkel and mask and a cheapy rubber raft I bought at KMart for $1 at the summer close out. I really have a problem with charging close to $30 times two for snorkel gear not to mention that unlike silverware, I don't know if the snorkels have been sterilized or not.

Archived